USMNT soccer team thread | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

USMNT soccer team thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Douglas Costa dominated Geoff Cameron, Willian dominated Tim Ream. THe CBs were bad and Bedoya was a huge hole in front of the back 4.
Obviously Dempsey/Altidore will be the two up front. I love Yedlin's pace. Bradley is starting and Klinsmann loves Zardes.
Guzan gave up a soft goal versus Peru and played badly yesterday. Recalling Howard and having him ride the pine was beyond dumb. He should have played 1 game. Guzan doesn't give me confidence.
Yesterday also showed me Jones is done as a starting USA XI players unless we have injuries in the MF.
Bedoya was out of position so I will give him a break. Danny Williams scored but looked awful on the ball.

Our back 4 is a huge problem right now. Besler/Brooks should be two of those 4 but not sure who the other 2 should be.

I would still take Cameron, he has been playing CB in the BPL like Klinnsman wanted and then he plays him RB. I know we kind of needed him there out of necessity but still.

I think we could play 3 CB with Yedlin and FJ At the wingback role?

3 back might actually work.

Play Cameron at LCB, Besler at CB, and Brooks at RCB

But Jurgen wastes friendlies with jokes like last night.

Last edited:
3 back might actually work.

Play Cameron at RCB, Besler at CB, and Brooks at RCB

But Jurgen wastes friendlies with jokes like last night.
By putting Zardes and Yedlin as wing backs on each side they could give defensive support when necessary and still be able to roam up front.

By putting Zardes and Yedlin as wing backs on each side they could give defensive support when necessary and still be able to roam up front.

When Johnson is healthy I think he might be better in that role than Zardes but yes.

Wishful thinking though. Can't see Jurgen making that sort of change.

We might be better of the 3-5-2 or 3-4-3 if Klinsmann wanted to start Johnannson.
Only 3 back but we could clog the MF with two wing backs Zardes and Yedlin.

I'm thinking this way, too. We get dominated in midfield far too often. If we had an extra man there, we might be able to hold onto the ball better, and link from the back to the front more effectively.

We need feilHaber in midfield with bradley, but herr Klinsmann refuses to call up Benny. The CB should be besler and Gonzales who were good enough to start q world cup last summer but pissed off klinsie. Our bigger oblems are our fullbacks are hurt, our wing backs are totally raw and unproven and we two proven goal scorers in Altidore and dempsey. To top it off we have a coach who holds grudges and plays too many guys out of position.

We need feilHaber in midfield with bradley, but herr Klinsmann refuses to call up Benny. The CB should be besler and Gonzales who were good enough to start q world cup last summer but pissed off klinsie. Our bigger oblems are our fullbacks are hurt, our wing backs are totally raw and unproven and we two proven goal scorers in Altidore and dempsey. To top it off we have a coach who holds grudges and plays too many guys out of position.

Who are we going to replace him with? I don't see any great candidates out there.

Who are we going to replace him with? I don't see any great candidates out there.
I think my 2 year old would make a better coach at this point.

The other klinsie side effect is that he is basically alienating the vast majority of the hardcore soccer fans in this country. I don't even watch the games anymore because of the way they play and I refuse to attend another game in person until he is gone. I know a lot of other people who have the same view.

Realistically speaking I don't know who an alternative would be. I would bring back Bradley at this point... he's already had a more successful club coaching experience than Klinsie ever did in his one year with Bayern. I think MLS has a few good coaches as well but I will say that for better or for worse Klinsie has been a great recruiter of dual internationals and we wouldn't have that with an MLS coach.

I would love a great Latin coach like Bielsa who I believe is no longer employed or Pellegrini if Man city cans his butt this year for Gaurdiola. But lets be honest... it's not happening. Gullet will never fire him short of us not qualifying for Russia or if the players lead a revolt, which would never happen in the US. So we're stuck with him.

I'm sur we'll qualify for russia.

I think my 2 year old would make a better coach at this point.

The other klinsie side effect is that he is basically alienating the vast majority of the hardcore soccer fans in this country. I don't even watch the games anymore because of the way they play and I refuse to attend another game in person until he is gone. I know a lot of other people who have the same view.

Realistically speaking I don't know who an alternative would be. I would bring back Bradley at this point... he's already had a more successful club coaching experience than Klinsie ever did in his one year with Bayern. I think MLS has a few good coaches as well but I will say that for better or for worse Klinsie has been a great recruiter of dual internationals and we wouldn't have that with an MLS coach.

I would love a great Latin coach like Bielsa who I believe is no longer employed or Pellegrini if Man city cans his butt this year for Gaurdiola. But lets be honest... it's not happening. Gullet will never fire him short of us not qualifying for Russia or if the players lead a revolt, which would never happen in the US. So we're stuck with him.

I'm sur we'll qualify for russia.

Well, that's just silly. They had something like a 13 game unbeaten streak last year with him as the coach. He has the all-time best record as coach of the national team. Aside from the slip up in the last Gold Cup, we have dominated the region. I don't like that he continually shuffles the players at the back, but he has doubled the size of the pool of potential players, and recruited guys from all over Europe to join the national team. Their style of play is evolving.

Under Bob Bradley (and others before him like Bora Miluntinovic) we have been a defense and counter-attacking team. That doesn't work at the highest level. You can't just absorb defensive pressure for 80 minutes and hope to get lucky on the counter. Our defense just isn't solid enough. You need to be able to possess the ball to relieve pressure. In the past, we had defenders like Gooch, where the only thing he could do was boot the ball downfield or out of play, over and over, in the face of pressure. I like that Klinsmann is trying to recruit and train younger defenders who can play out of the back and are good on the ball. I like that he is looking for speedy young guys with flair. He has given lots of young guys chances, and they have generally worked out well.

Bob Bradley? The dude was just like Klinsmann with grudges. In the 2010 WC knockout match versus Ghana he started Ricardo Clark who was why we gave up the goal and then had to sub him out after 30 minutes without an injury for the guy who should have started Maurice Edu.
That 2010 WC draw really set the USA to make the Semifinals but we lost to Ghana when we should have played better.
The 2011 Gold Cup showed Bradley was stale.

Klinsmann needs to use what he has better but he shouldn't be fired. He needs to have the heat risen on him though. Without Jozy Altidore we drew Portugal and played Germany/Belgium very tough.

The USA needs to produce more players and stop keeping them in the MLS or adapt the freaking European calendar or a modified European calendar. MLS should develop a Pro/Rel system and continue growing the sport in America.

We might be better of the 3-5-2 or 3-4-3 if Klinsmann wanted to start Johnannson.
Only 3 back but we could clog the MF with two wing backs Zardes and Yedlin.

The problem is that the US doesn't have enough talent to play any formation. No matter what you choose, someone will be playing out of their natural position. IMO the US should go with a 3-4-2-1. That will give us the best chance at winning. Sure no one plays that formation but maybe that is a good thing. We can create our own style as a country. Playing defensive is boring but we have to.

Howard

Cameron Gonzalez Besler

Johnson (if he can't make it back Yedlin) Beckerman Bradley Beasley

Dempsey Zardes

Altidore

Defensively we should a lot harder to score on. I would pack in the back 7, which means that in reality we don't have anyone really playing as a mid. However that in a way masks our deficiency in the midfield.

Last cycle the team failed to qualify. Hopefully this time around they will. Morris is interesting but he won't improve as much until he's playing professionally instead of at Stanford.

The best player from this team I think is Matt Miazga. 100% he'll be on the 2018 World Cup Roster.
Miazga and Carter-Vickers are exactly what the Senior team need defenders. I think those and Zelalem are the ones to watch.

Miazga and Carter-Vickers are exactly what the Senior team need defenders. I think those and Zelalem are the ones to watch.

Read somewhere that Herzog said Miazga is ready for the senior team. Sometime after Mexico I bet he gets called up.

I am okay with everybody except Wondo being on the roster. I would rather have Jordan Morris for the emergency role in that spot. Wondo does absolutely nothing against any team with skill which Mexico has.
I think the back four will be Beasley-Besler-Cameron-Ream.

I am okay with everybody except Wondo being on the roster. I would rather have Jordan Morris for the emergency role in that spot. Wondo does absolutely nothing against any team with skill which Mexico has.
I think the back four will be Beasley-Besler-Cameron-Ream.
Or Johansson. Wondo sucks..

You thinking johnson in the midfield? I would rather see Yedlin at fullback than Ream.

Or Johansson. Wondo sucks..

You thinking johnson in the midfield? I would rather see Yedlin at fullback than Ream.
Altidore
Dempsey
Zardes Bradley Jones Johnson
Beasley-Besler-Cameron-Ream
Guzan(I hate him starting especially with Howard hot lately with Everton)

Yedlin, Bedoya, Williams most likely the subs used.

Altidore
Dempsey
Zardes Bradley Jones Johnson
Beasley-Besler-Cameron-Ream
Guzan(I hate him starting especially with Howard hot lately with Everton)

Yedlin, Bedoya, Williams most likely the subs used.

-----------Altidore---------------------
------------------Dempsey-------------
Zardes--------------------------Bedoya
----------Bradley---Jones-------------
Beasley-Besler-Cameron-Johnson
--------------Guzan-------------------

Willaism for Jones
Yedlin for Bedoya

I agree wish Howard would get the start.

Landon Donovan had some interesting Twitter interactions today and an article. See if I can find the link again.

Landon Donovan had some interesting Twitter interactions today and an article. See if I can find the link again.
LD said ,to paraphrhrase, JUrgy tells players if they don't perform for an extended period then they will be gone and he should hold himself to the same standard. Therefore if we we get beat by Mexico Jurgy should be feeling the heat. However Sunil has given JK a free ride in terms of team performance, one of the reasons he felt free to cut the best US player over an old grudge.

Who would get that is better? When you make a change you need to have a person who can do the job better.
Klinsmann needs to win this game but I wouldn't fire him if they lose as WCQ start next month. JK has worked his butt getting dual citizens into our talent pool.
Mexico has more talent than we do right now. We should have a good chance to win but I would keep JK thru next WC unless we struggle in WCQ.

Status
Not open for further replies.