USMNT vs. Denmark | Syracusefan.com

USMNT vs. Denmark

CUSU

Starter
Should be a good evaluation game. We won't have Dempsey, Diskerud, or Jones. Otherwise it will be a good test. I'll be interested to see if Jurgen goes with the 3-5-2 today. I'd like to see the young gun Zardes up top with Jozy.

I love the potential of Zardes, Nagbe (as long as his papers go through this year), and Khiry Shelton in this qualifying cycle.

I'm not sure I'd like Zardes up top with Jozy, I think you'd be better off pairing either with a player who is a bit more of a creator, but it's good to see Zardes getting the recognition he deserves by being on the roster. There are gonna be lots of spots for the young guys to impress in the next few years, I'm looking forward to it.

I love the potential of Zardes, Nagbe (as long as his papers go through this year), and Khiry Shelton in this qualifying cycle.

I'm not sure I'd like Zardes up top with Jozy, I think you'd be better off pairing either with a player who is a bit more of a creator, but it's good to see Zardes getting the recognition he deserves by being on the roster. There are gonna be lots of spots for the young guys to impress in the next few years, I'm looking forward to it.

Zardes is starting maybe at outside midfield? Johansen and Altidore up top. No Yedlin in starting lineup.

Another late collapse. Too bad the final whistle doesn't blow at the 80 minute mark, this team would be unstoppable.
:bang:

They got out played the whole game, and were still in it to win it. Their defense needs a lot of work, they gave up back to back long balls, the same play and almost produced two goals instead of one by Denmark. The US missed that late header to tie it. What a disappointment after they had the lead twice in Denmark.

Another late collapse. Too bad the final whistle doesn't blow at the 80 minute mark, this team would be unstoppable.
They got out played the whole game, and were still in it to win it. Their defense needs a lot of work, they gave up back to back long balls, the same play and almost produced two goals instead of one by Denmark. The US missed that late header to tie it. What a disappointment after they had the lead twice in Denmark.

Yea defense was iffy all game and really seemed out of sorts, thinking Fabian Johnson should just stay at outside back didn't play well at midfield. Zardes seemed overwhelmed which is expected for his first real action but hopefully he can improve. On the bright side Breck Shea played well. This team really can't afford to have key players out or else we just don't have the quality to keep possession.

My son and I just stood there and had to laugh. What else can you do? Just before the equalizer my son said "this will be a good win, too bad we let that pretty boy score, though." Pretty boy = Bendtner. A minute later he scores again. And then again. My son's retort "how hard is it to play a little defense?!?"

Seriously. My gosh was our D terrible in the last 10 minutes. Gawdawful.

My son and I just stood there and had to laugh. What else can you do? Just before the equalizer my son said "this will be a good win, too bad we let that pretty boy score, though." Pretty boy = Bendtner. A minute later he scores again. And then again. My son's retort "how hard is it to play a little defense?!?"

Seriously. My gosh was our D terrible in the last 10 minutes. Gawdawful.

Well, we can't seem to string together half a dozen passes to keep possession. We did it a couple times, but that's it. You can't just absorb all that pressure for 90 minutes, expecting that you can just keep booting the ball downfield. Plus, tactically we were being overrun in midfield and Klinsmann wouldn't change from the 4-4-2.

The US is not very good. They simply can't produce enough quality players needed to make the next jump as a soccer power.

Look at the youth levels, specifically U-23 (Olympic team). Only 2-3 guys in MLS that actually start/play big minutes. MLS clubs must improve and invest in youth dev, to benefit themselves, MLS and ultimately the USMNT

US is still 2-3 decades away IMO from competing for a World Cup

The US is not very good. They simply can't produce enough quality players needed to make the next jump as a soccer power.

Look at the youth levels, specifically U-23 (Olympic team). Only 2-3 guys in MLS that actually start/play big minutes. MLS clubs must improve and invest in youth dev, to benefit themselves, MLS and ultimately the USMNT

US is still 2-3 decades away IMO from competing for a World Cup

Part of it is due to play on smaller fields - there's less room for spreading out the defense when on the attack, and there's less room at the back when you are trying to hold on to the ball.

The other problem is that the U.S. is just too impatient in possession. Our players are always trying to hit the vertical pass, like they think 3 or 4 passes leads to a shot. And it may, sometimes, but too often that's a poor possession that gets turned over in midfield.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom