2015 FIFA Women's World Cup | Syracusefan.com

2015 FIFA Women's World Cup

England great Gary Lineker once said "Football is a simple game. Twenty-two men chase a ball for 90 minutes and at the end, the Germans always win."

Not this time

I'm glad they scored a legitimate goal and the game wasn't ultimately decided by a missed and a made penalty kick.

I'm glad they scored a legitimate goal and the game wasn't ultimately decided by a missed and a made penalty kick.

Yeah the morgan pk was extremely close in real time. Because of where she fell and the angle i completely understand the call. The germans were manhandling the u.s. at times with nothing called and likely deserved to go down to 10 the way they were fouling. Johnstons foul was certainly not a red as popp initiated contact to beat her to the ball and they were jostling and she came down extremely easily.

Yeah the morgan pk was extremely close in real time. Because of where she fell and the angle i completely understand the call. The germans were manhandling the u.s. at times with nothing called and likely deserved to go down to 10 the way they were fouling. Johnstons foul was certainly not a red as popp initiated contact to beat her to the ball and they were jostling and she came down extremely easily.
The Fox ref who they had on remote indicated that a hold which started outside the box and continued inside the box is still a PK. That being the case I'm good with the call. Also, at end of first half Morgan got pulled down in the box (albeit she had the ball with her back to the goal.) Yeah that little blond should have had 2 yellows for abusing Rapinoe.

Congrats to the USNWT. With that said Johnston committed a red card foul IMO. It was the last defender in a clear goal situation. I don't think this ref did a good job. She wasn't giving cards consistent and the German RB should have gotten a second yellow at the 45 minute mark. I like the team, but despise the GK Solo. She makes it hard sometimes to like the team. The double standard on domestic violence is a black mark for the USSF.

Congrats to the USNWT. With that said Johnston committed a red card foul IMO. It was the last defender in a clear goal situation. I don't think this ref did a good job. She wasn't giving cards consistent and the German RB should have gotten a second yellow at the 45 minute mark. I like the team, but despise the GK Solo. She makes it hard sometimes to like the team. The double standard on domestic violence is a black mark for the USSF.

In real time its a bouncing ball and solo can be considered the last defender as a gk is eligible for the same defense. Popp didnt have possession so while in slow mo it appears popp has an open net and is prepared to score it is not quite so clear in real time. I do think that the ref made the right call given how physical germany was allowed to play and the lack of cards issued to them throughout. As bad as it seemed at times gotta give her credit for sticking to her lack of calls lol. Again though in real time on a bouncing ball in the box its much harder to make that call than for us seeing it slowmo.

In real time its a bouncing ball and solo can be considered the last defender as a gk is eligible for the same defense. Popp didnt have possession so while in slow mo it appears popp has an open net and is prepared to score it is not quite so clear in real time. I do think that the ref made the right call given how physical germany was allowed to play and the lack of cards issued to them throughout. As bad as it seemed at times gotta give her credit for sticking to her lack of calls lol. Again though in real time on a bouncing ball in the box its much harder to make that call than for us seeing it slowmo.
Combined with the fact it was more of a tug than a pull. She's still the best player on the field.

On Solo its tough. Im not excusing her but having grown up in a tumultuous situation with family members who will be quick to point a finger while being offenders themselves her case is a tough one. And yes i have had family members deal with a very similar situation that was not at all how the most vocal side represented it.

I totally agree regarding the double standard though.

Combined with the fact it was more of a tug than a pull. She's still the best player on the field.

Yeah and with popp being the strongest woman on the field and going down super easily as well.

Yeah that little blond should have had 2 yellows for abusing Rapinoe.
Seriously, how hot was that girl? I am falling in love with this sport.

quagmire_giggity_giggity_goo.jpg

On Solo its tough. Im not excusing her but having grown up in a tumultuous situation with family members who will be quick to point a finger while being offenders themselves her case is a tough one. And yes i have had family members deal with a very similar situation that was not at all how the most vocal side represented it.

I totally agree regarding the double standard though.
If a male did what Solo did it would have gotten a lot more coverage. Solo is impossible to root for. I want the USWNT to win the WC inspite of her.

Wish I could get past Solo, she turns me off.

Call me a chauvanist, but I think the double-standard is appropriate.
You think it is okay for an adult female to physically assault her teenage nephew and then get away with it because her sister and family let it go because they don't want to jeopardize her spot on the USWNT? I mean the fact USSF didn't suspend or penalize her is a joke.

You think it is okay for an adult female to physically assault her teenage nephew and then get away with it because her sister and family let it go because they don't want to jeopardize her spot on the USWNT? I mean the fact USSF didn't suspend or penalize her is a joke.
I don't think it's okay. I don't support any violence. I don't believe it's the same as Ray Rice though. I also think Solo's nephew is like 6'9".

I don't think it's okay. I don't support any violence. I don't believe it's the same as Ray Rice though. I also think Solo's nephew is like 6'9".
Ray Rice is the worst of the worst. I wouldn't compare Solo to that, but I want some consistency. I don't care if he nephew isn't small he isn't 6'9 that is her husband ex-NFL TE Jeremy Stevens. The nephew isn't a small boy, but the fact she skated just shows hypocrisy. If Tim Howard did what Solo did the USSF would have sent a message. If we want women's sports to grow there should be consistency. I applauded the WNBA for suspending Britney Grinner 7 games for domestic abuse incident.

Hope Solo skated period and the US Soccer Federation showed they aren't consistent.

Been watching every game. Think the coach was playing possum earlier. So obvious they were playing sub optimal lineups and out of position before. Even the betting market changed to essentially a pick 'em after the lineup was announced.
Keep hearing "X is the MVP" from Fox/espn where X is any of 3-4 players and never Rapinoe which is madness to me; she dominates every game. Also seems like the coolest chick ever per youtube.

Been watching every game. Think the coach was playing possum earlier. So obvious they were playing sub optimal lineups and out of position before. Even the betting market changed to essentially a pick 'em after the lineup was announced.
Keep hearing "X is the MVP" from Fox/espn where X is any of 3-4 players and never Rapinoe which is madness to me; she dominates every game. Also seems like the coolest chick ever per youtube.
Rapinoe is the PG or playmaker. I don't think she is the MVP of this WC. I would give it to Carli Lloyd. Lloyd has been the leader of the team and she upped her game these past two against China and Germany. Rapinoe was suspended for the China game and she does get a lot of yellows with some of her challenges.

The USWNT is the equivalent of the German Men's team. They are ridiculously deep and work as a machine rather than as a individuals like Brazil and Neymar, Argentina and Messi, or Portugal and Ronaldo

I don't care if he nephew isn't small he isn't 6'9 that is her husband ex-NFL TE Jeremy Stevens.
I think that is all pretty important information.

Anyway, I guess since I do not pay attention to Women's soccer for more than four months in a four-year period, I don't care all that much about USSF policies. I'm sure some sort of punishment is warranted. I just don't think woman-man violence is the same as man-woman violence and therefore they don't need to be treated identically.

Johnston would have gotten my vote until the penalty. Rapinoe is great, although the team did not seem to miss her against China. That might have something to do with the competition level though.

Rapinoe is the PG or playmaker. I don't think she is the MVP of this WC. I would give it to Carli Lloyd. Lloyd has been the leader of the team and she upped her game these past two against China and Germany. Rapinoe was suspended for the China game and she does get a lot of yellows with some of her challenges.

The USWNT is the equivalent of the German Men's team. They are ridiculously deep and work as a machine rather than as a individuals like Brazil and Neymar, Argentina and Messi, or Portugal and Ronaldo

Aside from her pk foul id give it to johnston. Add morgan brian to the mix too for the impact she has had in the biggest matches

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom