UTexas Will Start Paying Athletes | Syracusefan.com

UTexas Will Start Paying Athletes

Between this and the discussion on "deferred education", I firmly beleve we are now on the doorstep of paid professional college athletics.

This is less than $1m a year. not nothing, but it's the kind of thing everyone in the P-5 conferences can offer without too much trouble if they are at all serious about football.

This is less than $1m a year. not nothing, but it's the kind of thing everyone in the P-5 conferences can offer without too much trouble if they are at all serious about football.
Cost of attendance stipends could be different at different schools, correct?

No, you're forgetting about title 9. Every athlete needs to be paid the same at the school. The article says about 6 million for UT. SU might make out better since there is no baseball or hockey team.

Wonder what happens when in order to get 4 and 5 star recruits, $10,000 no longer gets the job done. This could really create some serious divide between the schools with serious donor backing and the schools without. There is already a difference between which schools get 4 and 5 star recruits on a regular basis and who doesn't, I think this could create an even greater wedge.

Will it or could it lead to less competition between schools and make college football less exciting overall?

qdawgg said:
Wonder what happens when in order to get 4 and 5 star recruits, $10,000 no longer gets the job done. This could really create some serious divide between the schools with serious donor backing and the schools without. There is already a difference between which schools get 4 and 5 star recruits on a regular basis and who doesn't, I think this could create an even greater wedge. Will it or could it lead to less competition between schools and make college football less exciting overall?

Yes, yes and yes.

We can afford it. However it would probably necessitate cutting 1 or 2 sports.

How many sports do we sponsor? Also, remember after FB and BB a lot of sports don't give full scholarships. They give partial scholarships.

Wonder what happens when in order to get 4 and 5 star recruits, $10,000 no longer gets the job done. This could really create some serious divide between the schools with serious donor backing and the schools without. There is already a difference between which schools get 4 and 5 star recruits on a regular basis and who doesn't, I think this could create an even greater wedge.

Will it or could it lead to less competition between schools and make college football less exciting overall?

that is why it needs to be the same for every school if one school can offer more than the others they will get every 5 star recruit

No, you're forgetting about title 9. Every athlete needs to be paid the same at the school. The article says about 6 million for UT. SU might make out better since there is no baseball or hockey team.

I don't know much about title 9. But aren't there some kids in non revenue sports who are on partial scholarship? What's the difference between that and giving out the $10k selectively?

Also, remember after FB and BB a lot of sports don't give full scholarships. They give partial scholarships.
It will be interesting to see how they handle the partial schollys

that is why it needs to be the same for every school if one school can offer more than the others they will get every 5 star recruit

Other than the obvious, giving athletes $ for playing, it's still not any different than the system in place now that is abused. I think once you open up the idea that students can be paid, even if hypothetically the amount is the same for every school, now instead of fixing grades for athletes, schools/donors are going to be dropping $$$ in bank accounts. It's not that this doesn't happen now, I just think that if you open up the idea of paying athletes, there is no way this doesn't happen on an even larger scale than it already does.

Someone one slow this down for me will all teams have to pay the same or can Alabama pay 10 grand more than us?

Texas prints a whole lot of cash, they can afford this. We cannot.

Well, the WVU folks at BGN agree with you. They say that Cuse is in deep trouble, along with BC, Pitt, Wake and Virginia and this is the end of the ACC as we know it.

On the other hand UCONN were unfazed by this news. At least when I last checked up on the Boneyard.

I do think this just accelerates the divide between the P5 and the G5.

Someone one slow this down for me will all teams have to pay the same or can Alabama pay 10 grand more than us?
It's all hypothetical until the O'Bannon case is resolved, which could be early next year.

Do you realize the corruption that will occur in evaluations? Wow.

Shouldn't the video game company's have to pay for 'likeness' ?

Whatever payments there are need to be decided on by the P5 and uniform across all P5 schools. Otherwise this will just turn into a bidding war for players/recruits with the biggest state school factories ( Ohio St., Alabama, UK, etc.) buying up all the talent. Private schools like SU will never be able to keep up. The NCAA, specifically the P5 as a group need to decide this and soon. It is not tenable from a competitive standpoint to have individual schools deciding the level of payments.

The SEC faced that issue many years ago. Their issue is now six and seven figures. Syracuse should be thankful that they are only talking five figures. Plus, they don't have any academic enforcement to worry about.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom