UTexas Will Start Paying Athletes | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

UTexas Will Start Paying Athletes

Well, the WVU folks at BGN agree with you. They say that Cuse is in deep trouble, along with BC, Pitt, Wake and Virginia and this is the end of the ACC as we know it.

On the other hand UCONN were unfazed by this news. At least when I last checked up on the Boneyard.

I do think this just accelerates the divide between the P5 and the G5.

Whew, that's a relief. Based on their position, we can rest assured Syracuse is in a solid position. They've been wrong on everything else, just believe/do the opposite and you will be right.

On a serious note, not sure how Syracuse is in trouble since Syracuse is knocking on the $100MM/year revenue school list. Syracuse makes more revenue than several ACC schools (including Clemson!) and that was pre-ACC money (Actually without Big East money, too).

Shouldn't the video game company's have to pay for 'likeness' ?

They offered to pay. The NCAA said no, now it will now cost the schools. EA was willing to pay each athlete used in the football game something like 400-500 for each year they appeared.

Couple of things- the O'Bannon case isn't done, but right now the cap is for a 5k trust that athletes can't touch while in school. This covers jerseys, video games, or signed posters like the ones SU is auctioning off (not for charity) here- http://auctions.suathletics.com/auc_product.aspx?id=86 http://auctions.suathletics.com/auc_product.aspx?id=81

The other piece is the full cost of attendance funding, which the P5 schools have all said they were going to do.

Also, Patterson is an absolute clown.

Yeah, but when are they going to start reporting "cash" payments?

Here's a thought - what if Title 9 gets modified after lobbying efforts by the big conferences? That would be way cheaper for them then implementing under the current law.

Here's a thought - what if Title 9 gets modified after lobbying efforts by the big conferences? That would be way cheaper for them then implementing under the current law.

Could be that or the simpler yet much harsher immediate deletion of some sports. Cross Country, track and field, and rowing would quickly equal numbers for each side of the gender ledger.

Soccer would be next on the chopping block but is important to the ACC and would only leave us with 3 men's teams if cut.

They offered to pay. The NCAA said no, now it will now cost the schools. EA was willing to pay each athlete used in the football game something like 400-500 for each year they appeared.

Couple of things- the O'Bannon case isn't done, but right now the cap is for a 5k trust that athletes can't touch while in school. This covers jerseys, video games, or signed posters like the ones SU is auctioning off (not for charity) here- http://auctions.suathletics.com/auc_product.aspx?id=86 http://auctions.suathletics.com/auc_product.aspx?id=81

The other piece is the full cost of attendance funding, which the P5 schools have all said they were going to do.

Also, Patterson is an absolute clown.

Does EA pay the schools ?

I think it would be highly unlikely for Title 9 to be changed in some drastic way so that the end result was a benefit for CF programs. I think the only thing that might prevent this whole thing from blowing up into a true haves and have nots between the all the P5 teams is the feds saying, wait, this isn't equitable.

I thought the judge in the O'bannon case said that schools could pay up to 5k to an athlete how can Texas pay 10k?

We can afford it just sign a new Met-Life deal
It is too bad Syracuse fans could never fillup Metlife on our own and caused the contract to not be renewed. Great trolling job my friend.

Whatever payments there are need to be decided on by the P5 and uniform across all P5 schools. Otherwise this will just turn into a bidding war for players/recruits with the biggest state school factories ( Ohio St., Alabama, UK, etc.) buying up all the talent. Private schools like SU will never be able to keep up. The NCAA, specifically the P5 as a group need to decide this and soon. It is not tenable from a competitive standpoint to have individual schools deciding the level of payments.
Could this be considered collusion? I guess it could be done as a salary cap - the total amount a school is allowed to pay would have a ceiling, but it's up to them how to split the pie among athletes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom