UVa > SU, but for how long? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

UVa > SU, but for how long?

Only definite loss at this point is Atkins. Next year, our starting lineup should be Perrantes (Jr), Brogdon (Sr), Anderson (Sr), Gill (Sr), and Tobey (Sr). Sure, Anderson could leave early but it's not definite. Most UVA fans are surprised at how good we are this year. We expected next year to be special but this is a welcomed surprise.
Crap, Gill isnt a senior? They'll be stacked next year.

Bennett seriously doesn't strike me as a guy who would bolt like that. I also think UVA will pay him. I expect him to be coaching UVA for a long time.
I remember thinking that about Brad Stevens at Butler

Only definite loss at this point is Atkins. Next year, our starting lineup should be Perrantes (Jr), Brogdon (Sr), Anderson (Sr), Gill (Sr), and Tobey (Sr). Sure, Anderson could leave early but it's not definite. Most UVA fans are surprised at how good we are this year. We expected next year to be special but this is a welcomed surprise.

You're going to be absolutely sick next year. A senior laden team with P5 talent is rare in this day and age.

Yeah, one of my favorite things to do is go on other teams' message boards and describe everything about my team to them. I mean, what else is there to do?

Yeah, one of my favorite things to do is go on other teams' message boards and describe everything about my team to them. I mean, what else is there to do?

It's an open board. You also don't have to read it lol.

Bennett seriously doesn't strike me as a guy who would bolt like that. I also think UVA will pay him. I expect him to be coaching UVA for a long time.
alls I'm saying, is most coaches appear to be the same. That's how they can recruit. The test will come if/when UVA either makes FF/championship game or at least maintains top 4 in ACC year over year. Make the FF/Final and see what the outside pressure does. If UVA had a little bit more BB history / high profile then there would be less pressure. The ACC is still Duke and UNC plus others. That was the complaint about SU moving there.

This year's UVA team reminds me of our 2003 team minus the flashiness. Just a bunch of role players who excel in their roles and one stud. They play tough D and seem to make a play/ hit a shot when needed. However, I don't see UVA winning it all like we did.

I don't think they sustain their recent success and fall back into the middle of the ACC once the current crop of kids are gone in a couple years. Bennett's a decent coach but with his hold the ball offense he won't get the recruits over traditional powers. He will have to get every player to overachieve in order to remain a top 20 team.

3-4 years ? comon man. If we actually had all our injured players like DC and CM, we would of probably won this game.
It will be interesting next season . I think Cuse will be back with all the bigs we have coming back and into the program and Virginia has zero Seniors in their rotation.

It will be interesting next season . I think Cuse will be back with all the bigs we have coming back and into the program and Virginia has zero Seniors in their rotation.
Atkins (#5) is the only senior scholarship player who will graduate. He came in, won a starting job after being a spot replacement, and did a great job of replacing the D and rebounding that Mitchell gave us last year.

They didnt even score 60 points despite our disadvantage of playing with the lack of players. Some of you guys make a mole hill into a mountain.

At the sloth pace the game was played at, scoring 59 points in 30 minutes means we the bed on defense. It's amazing some continue to look at points scored and ignore number of possessions.

love Brogdon on defense and I suppose he's effective enough on offense but man does he have one of the more mechanical and ugly offensive games I've seen - really just a matter of strength with him, which he won't have an advantage of at the next level, which is why he won't make it at that level - europe maybe

We are redshirting an Australian guy named Salt who I dont have much info on but sounds like he is going to be an imposing physical 4.
If he's anything like his sister, watch out.
vlt.gif

FrancoPizza said:
At the sloth pace the game was played at, scoring 59 points in 30 minutes means we the bed on defense. It's amazing some continue to look at points scored and ignore number of possessions.
We played just like a team missing players against a top team. And with our best player not being able to go all out every game because we have no backup C.

There are some really interesting points in this thread. I'll try to address them.

1) A 30-second shot clock will the downfall of UVA - I am not sure if I buy this. What I think this does is help other teams on the defensive side of the ball. We don't need any help. If teams can't score on us in 35 seconds, they won't be able to in 30 seconds. Also, more possessions do not necessarily translate to more efficient scoring. A shorter shot clock does not make people shoot better or play smarter. In fact, I think a shorter shot clock will put a greater emphasis on efficiency and the efficiency margin (adjusted O - adjusted D). UVa's efficiency margin is excellent this season and I think more possessions would highlight that gap.

2) Bennett will not stay at UVA - He is not leaving UVA for any other college job in my estimation. UVA offers him everything he could possibly want in a college job. Great academic institution, excellent resources, money, top rated conference, and a great basketball environment. His family loves Charlottesville and he's having success here. He might want to jump to the NBA but I think he and others realize that his system in the NBA would probably not succeed.

3) Bennett will not get the most out of future players - I can't think of a single player at UVA that hasn't really improved over their careers. Sure, some players have transferred out and his system is not for everyone but Bennett has shown nothing but an incredible ability to develop players. Will every single player pan out? Of course not. But I don't think there's much evidence to suggest that the success is a result of the current crop of players only.

4) Bennett will not sustain top 5 success - This is one I probably agree with the most. Do you know how hard it is for a non-traditional program to sustain any type of success, let alone top 5 success? UVA will consistently be a top 25 and NCAA tournament team under Bennett. We will not always compete for 1-seeds and NCAA titles but not many teams do. I think, given our recent history at UVA, we can't ask for much more than what he's given us. Whether that translates to postseason success remains to be seen. But I don't think UVA is fading into the middle of the pack either. We will always be a tough out and our offense will continue to improve. We may even land some very high end offensive players in the future. UVA is here to stay under Bennett. But any reasonable UVA fan should temper their expectations if they expect every season to be 28-1 (16-1 in the ACC).
I think most of this is fair. As to point 1), I think the 30 second clock will hurt UVA more than help it ... not because of your defense but because of your offense. Last night is a poor example b/c right now SU is so depleted and inexperienced it couldn't stay on the floor (or compete on the glass) with such a seasoned team. But as bad as we are this year, you guys still milked the clock to limit possessions. That won't be as easy with a 30 second SC.

As far as 3) ... I have to say that the players on the team I watched last night, and the guys that beat us by 20 last year in Charlottesville, are distinctly better than their so-called 'star' ratings coming in. UVA's recruiting is not normally within the top 50 .. more like the top 100 (3-4 stars). Of the present team, Perrantes (UR) and Atkins (who destroyed us on the glass) are 3 stars (UR); and Nolte (91), Tobey (76) , Brogdon (104) and Anderson (the sole top 50 recruit at #35) are 4 stars. But with the staff's development (under Bennett), they're playing like NBA kids. In fact, I believe Harris (in the NBA) was a 3 star (unranked) recruit. So that says a lot for your staff.

Congrats on the win and great season. As an SU fan, as painful as the last two meetings have been to watch, in the end we'll be back!!

https://rivals.yahoo.com/virginia/basketball/recruiting/commitments/2011

Last edited:
We have our worst team in years and people are shocked we got abused on the boards by a top 3 team. They didnt even score 60 points despite our disadvantage of playing with the lack of players. Some of you guys make a mole hill into a mountain.

They are who we thought they were and we are who we thought we were, a bad SU team.
As a long-term Virginian but hardcore SU fan, I'm very pleased that the UVA is having some good years. I think it helps us and helps the conference. They're my second favorite school in Virginia after William & Mary and hope both of them do well in the post-season. I have great hope and anticipation for SU over the next couple of years and think JB is going to make another run before he retires. Virginia is doing well but on average SU attracts much better recruits and that will show itself over time. I think Virginia could beat Kentucky this year with Bennett deserving some kudos again this year. He has a tough road ahead with a lethargic offense but best wishes to them. I loved that SU Lacrosse beat UVA to get the #1 place in the polls and hoped we could finish with 20 wins but we'll be better the next time we play them.

If we had those players, Anderson and Brogdon would declare, and Perrantes would go to Europe.

Yep, and the media would be trolling the out of us for some perceived malfeasance or another. That stink would bring the NCAA flies, key players would be hurt or suspended or both on the immediate eve of the NCAA tournament. Etc... UVa fans appear to think what they are experiencing now is the new normal. Hardly. It just isn't possible to foresee all the catastrophes that befall college programs these days.

It's an open board. You also don't have to read it lol.
A lot of folks like myself really appreciate your contributions, especially with regard to UVA. Its absolutely fascinating how Bennett has turned around your program and I agree that he will be around for a long time. Best of luck to your team n the upcoming tourneys.

A lot of folks like myself really appreciate your contributions, especially with regard to UVA. Its absolutely fascinating how Bennett has turned around your program and I agree that he will be around for a long time. Best of luck to your team n the upcoming tourneys.

Thank you for saying that. I really enjoy this board and hope I am welcome. I understand his point though. It's your board and I don't want to flood it with UVA stuff. I'll never start a UVA thread on your board but I hope people don't mind if I comment on UVA threads in the future.

UVA welcome to the club...again. Happy to see someone elevate and replace Maryland.

You're going to be absolutely sick next year. A senior laden team with P5 talent is rare in this day and age.
I agree. SU will be better next year but not improved enough to be better than UVa, which should be at least as good as they have been this season.

I think Bennett has UVa positioned to be a top 20 team long term. He is a very good, maybe even a great coach.

That being said, the year after next, I see SU passing UVa. Syracuse should be back in the top 10 again and UVa looks to drop back in the pack a bit (but should still be a top 20 team).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom