Van Gundy on Ennis (PHX/LAC): | Syracusefan.com

Van Gundy on Ennis (PHX/LAC):

44cuse

All Conference
"The best thing for the kid from Syracuse is the D-league. I've always said the best thing for a young player is to be on a good team and have the chance to watch and learn. The D-League used to have this stigma, not anymore. But he's not going to see the court during the season at all in Phoenix."

I get it, but that sucks.

44cuse

"The best thing for the kid from Syracuse is the D-league. I've always said the best thing for a young player is to be on a good team and have the chance to watch and learn. The D-League used to have this stigma, not anymore. But he's not going to see the court during the season at all in Phoenix."

44cuse

He needs minutes and the responsibility of running a team in pressure situations [versus just playing token minutes] to learn / grow / improve. Sucks, but Van Gundy is probably right.

Last edited:
Wish somehow he would have gotten drafted by Toronto. Maybe he will end up there eventually.

College players have strange choices to make. Tyler took the money, and that's completely understandable. But the tradeoff is oblivion. If he stayed, he would be playing in front of 30,000 and on national TV regularly. There's got to be a better way.

College players have strange choices to make. Tyler took the money, and that's completely understandable. But the tradeoff is oblivion. If he stayed, he would be playing in front of 30,000 and on national TV regularly. There's got to be a better way.

Not sure I undertand what you mean by your last sentence. We all make choices. We certainly all have made a choice between staying with our current job or moving on to the next "better" job. Sometimes jumping to that other job turns out great, other times it's not what you expected. Either way, you are free to make that choice. I wouldn't want it any different.

44cuse

Seems to me he already had that ...

More people here should listen to Van Gundy that being sent there isn't necessarily a bad thing.. The D League is becoming more and more like AAA baseball each year where teams put their prospects in a developmental environment. It's not a basketball death sentence like it was even 5 years ago.

It wouldn't shock me if the NBA Draft expands to 3-4 rounds in the next couple of years because it will allow teams to give younger guys time to develop while keeping more jobs as the 10-12 men on the bench for vets.

It wouldn't shock me if the NBA Draft expands to 3-4 rounds in the next couple of years because it will allow teams to give younger guys time to develop while keeping more jobs as the 10-12 men on the bench for vets.

The same greed-driven owners who cut the rosters from 12 to 11 and the no. of draft rounds from 10 to 2? I'm not holding my breath on that. But on the other hand maybe, just maybe the dawn of a new day is upon us ...

... nah! :D

The same greed-driven owners who cut the rosters from 12 to 11 and the no. of draft rounds from 10 to 2? I'm not holding my breath on that. But on the other hand maybe, just maybe the dawn of a new day is upon us ...

... nah! :D
Well it's a new era in terms of owners and GM's. The "smart teams" can develop draft picks instead of having to overpay for free agents in order to add depth, etc. I think it's also a potential way to discourage teams from completely tanking by having a deeper draft.

Also, the D League provides the NBA with more potential in terms of TV product, and as we all know, tv deals aren't going down.

Ennis got out while the gettin' was good. I'm not convinced he would have done any better this year than he did last year. In fact, he might have seen a decline in minutes with a true backup PG behind him and reduced production from playing with an inexperienced group.

He did what he had to do. If staying in college isn't going to improve your draft stock or get you more money, why do it? You certainly wouldn't want to come back and risk injury doing something that isn't making you any money.

Ennis got out while the gettin' was good. I'm not convinced he would have done any better this year than he did last year. In fact, he might have seen a decline in minutes with a true backup PG behind him and reduced production from playing with an inexperienced group.

He did what he had to do. If staying in college isn't going to improve your draft stock or get you more money, why do it? You certainly wouldn't want to come back and risk injury doing something that isn't making you any money.

Agreed. Now Grant on the other hand...ugh.

Ennis's father detailed out what the family''s "plan" was for Tyler's collegiate career after he declared last spring. The plan was for him to stay at SU for two years, in order to work his way into the middle portion of the first round. So, the family viewed him as a two year player coming in, with the assumption that it would take that long for him to play his way up draft boards.

At the end of his first year, Tyler was already in the ball park for where they'd targeted in terms of draft projections. So they opted to make the jump earlier than anticipated.

Ennis was never going to be higher than late lottery pick so him leaving was smart. He got guaranteed money he will have professional coaching and his clock for a second contract will start quicker if he is successful. Staying in school is good for us fans, but if the players is going to have to develop something for the next level doing it with the pro coaching is better for that player.

Grant shouldn't have left because the kid wasn't a lock to be a first round pick. Grant is lucky he got on the Sixers and will get PT, but he should have remained.

Ennis is a solid PG, but is not going to be an All-Star I liked the Howard Eisley low end Andre Miller high end comps for Ennis. Him coming back wou;d have been great for us, but he did the right thing IMO.

I don't understand the Suns roster building this year at all.

Tyler made the right decision in leaving; the fact that he was drafted by a team that over-invested in PGs doesn't change the fact that he was ready.

Well it's a new era in terms of owners and GM's. The "smart teams" can develop draft picks instead of having to overpay for free agents in order to add depth, etc. I think it's also a potential way to discourage teams from completely tanking by having a deeper draft.

Also, the D League provides the NBA with more potential in terms of TV product, and as we all know, tv deals aren't going down.

Here's hoping you're right on that, for the benefit of the players around that line. I rarely watch NBA (I don't even know who Eisley and Miller [above] are), but I certainly don't wish anything negative toward the players. And we all know the lure of big $$$ from "the League" drives the bus.

Ennis was never going to be higher than late lottery pick so him leaving was smart. He got guaranteed money he will have professional coaching and his clock for a second contract will start quicker if he is successful. Staying in school is good for us fans, but if the players is going to have to develop something for the next level doing it with the pro coaching is better for that player.

Grant shouldn't have left because the kid wasn't a lock to be a first round pick. Grant is lucky he got on the Sixers and will get PT, but he should have remained.

Ennis is a solid PG, but is not going to be an All-Star I liked the Howard Eisley low end Andre Miller high end comps for Ennis. Him coming back wou;d have been great for us, but he did the right thing IMO.

Pro coaching?

Here's hoping you're right on that, for the benefit of the players around that line. I rarely watch NBA (I don't even know who Eisley and Miller [above] are), but I certainly don't wish anything negative toward the players. And we all know the lure of big $$$ from "the League" drives the bus.

Howard Eisley--former BC point guard who had a lengthy, journeyman career as a backup PG in the NBA.

Andre Miller--former Utah point guard who is well traveled, and formerly an all star caliber PG in the NBA.

Both of these guys weren't burners, but were highly effective at using their size / controlling tempo. Hence, the comparison to Ennis [presumably].

Howard Eisley--former BC point guard who had a lengthy, journeyman career as a backup PG in the NBA.

Andre Miller--former Utah point guard who is well traveled, and formerly an all star caliber PG in the NBA.

Both of these guys weren't burners, but were highly effective at using their size / controlling tempo. Hence, the comparison to Ennis [presumably].
Eisley/Miller I think are fair comps. If Ennis has a flaw its his lack of elite athleticism, but he isn't chop liver. Thus, a PG who uses as you said his size and tempo is what he will have to do to have a 10+ plus career both Eisley and Miller have/had in the NBA.

Pro coaching?
I love JB and his system, but Ennis would be playing in the Syracuse system if remained thus by going pro he is going to get pro coaches in the NBA/D-League which will be teaching him their systems. The NBA doesn't have a team that plays zone as their primary defense, and while our offensive iso system is similar to a bunch of NBA teams Ennis will get the coaching to learn the Suns system.

I love our systems mind you, but they aren't exactly a reason to stay in school if you are solidly in the first round and want to be a pro.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom