Van Gundy on Ennis (PHX/LAC): | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Van Gundy on Ennis (PHX/LAC):

Not sure I undertand what you mean by your last sentence. We all make choices. We certainly all have made a choice between staying with our current job or moving on to the next "better" job. Sometimes jumping to that other job turns out great, other times it's not what you expected. Either way, you are free to make that choice. I wouldn't want it any different.

I am not taking a shot at Tyler Ennis. I miss the old days of four year college when young players got to develop and be seen at the same time. Of course, some of them sustained injury in their later collegiate years and never got that big paycheck. I understand why some players decide to leave early. Tyler was known as a good decision maker on the court, and I imagine he has made a good decision for himself here.

I don't understand the Suns roster building this year at all.

Tyler made the right decision in leaving; the fact that he was drafted by a team that over-invested in PGs doesn't change the fact that he was ready.

Bingo.

Tyler made the right choice. There are no guarantees in life. He went to a team that landed an additional guard because Boogie Cousins hated Isaiah Thomas and there was another Dragic brother to be had.

Bingo.

Tyler made the right choice. There are no guarantees in life. He went to a team that landed an additional guard because Boogie Cousins hated Isaiah Thomas and there was another Dragic brother to be had.

Tyler got a big check. I hope he invests it well because I'm not convinced there will be a second contract.

Tyler got a big check. I hope he invests it well because I'm not convinced there will be a second contract.

there will be a second contract, even if it is not in the NBA. James Southerland, for example, is going to earn $200K playing the equivalent of a college season in France.

The worst thing that will happen is that he'll earn six figures annually for a decade while traveling the world.

Worst case scenario for a quality ballplayer is you find yourself 30 years old with a couple million lifetime earnings and a passport file full of exotic destinations.

Nobody with skills should play college ball one day longer than they have to. Your earning years are limited, why give them away for free?

Tyler made the right decision in leaving; the fact that he was drafted by a team that over-invested in PGs doesn't change the fact that he was ready.

I really think that was just a quirk that the Suns hadn't planned for. They may have thought Bledsoe was gonna leave, plus Dragic is a FA next year, and as was pointed out, who knew the Kings were gonna let Thomas walk cause Boogie didn't like him.

A lot of things can happen; Dragic is coming off a career year, Bledsoe has injury problems, etc. Not saying Tyler is going to play 70 games at the NBA level this year but I think it's a little too early to be writing his career off. If last year is any indication, Hornacek is going to run a really guard friendly system and I bet you see a lot of 2 PG lineups.

Playing in the D-league is a fine alternative for Ennis right now.

IMO, much greater chance for Ennis than Grant to get moved up from the D-league. There's a lot of 6-7 to 6-9 athletes like Grant with tons of room to improve, but there are not a lot of floor generals and smart players like Ennis who can run offenses.

Van Gundy is right- barring injury (which is possible, especially with Bledsoe), he won't see the court. Nor should he. I know a lot of people here don't watch the NBA, but I'll fill you in: Dragic had a great season and was an all-star caliber player last year, and Bledsoe was not far behind (when he played). They will play a lot of 2 PG sets, with Bledsoe playing the 2G position. Isaiah Thomas, imo, is one of the more underrated players in the league. Very small, even for a PG, but VERY quick and he can get to the rim. He will get minutes, as he should.

Poor spot for Ennis to land, but tons of opportunity to watch solid NBA PG's play ahead of him. Again, he will be fine. The Suns were/are a young team, with a good coach, and are fun to watch.

I really think that was just a quirk that the Suns hadn't planned for. They may have thought Bledsoe was gonna leave, plus Dragic is a FA next year, and as was pointed out, who knew the Kings were gonna let Thomas walk cause Boogie didn't like him.

A lot of things can happen; Dragic is coming off a career year, Bledsoe has injury problems, etc. Not saying Tyler is going to play 70 games at the NBA level this year but I think it's a little too early to be writing his career off. If last year is any indication, Hornacek is going to run a really guard friendly system and I bet you see a lot of 2 PG lineups.

plus, as the season progresses and other teams find themselves in need of another point guard, Phoenix will field a lot of trade offers.

plus, as the season progresses and other teams find themselves in need of another point guard, Phoenix will field a lot of trade offers.

Definitely, don't forget right before Bledsoe signed with Phoenix the Wolves were trying to make a play for him in a sign and trade. Doesn't mean they'd necessarily want him in January but you can't rule a trade out.

there will be a second contract, even if it is not in the NBA. James Southerland, for example, is going to earn $200K playing the equivalent of a college season in France.

The worst thing that will happen is that he'll earn six figures annually for a decade while traveling the world.

Worst case scenario for a quality ballplayer is you find yourself 30 years old with a couple million lifetime earnings and a passport file full of exotic destinations.

Nobody with skills should play college ball one day longer than they have to. Your earning years are limited, why give them away for free?
No matter how many times post like this are made that completely lay it out, some people will still just never get it.

From what I am understanding Phoenix is in this for the long haul. A lot of the current guards contracts are up after this season, and they look at Tyler for the future. They put their foot down on draft night and absolutely refused to trade him to Toronto. I think he goes to the "d" league or sits here for a year learning, and then his year is next year. I have been told by Suns staff that they have no interest in trading him. But...never say never.

Exactly. He took the cash and now will have to live with the consequences. Only time will tell if he ever makes a name for himself in the NBA. I still think he should of stayed in school...

He can thank his dad. He made the call. JB obviously felt the time wasn't right, and JB knows a thing or two about the business of basketball. I feel bad for Ennis, but it is what it is.

Wish somehow he would have gotten drafted by Toronto. Maybe he will end up there eventually.

He would have likely been 3rd or 4th on the totum pole there too, with Lowry, Vasquez, and Lou Williams (if they play him at PG).

...or sits here for a year learning, and then his year is next year. I have been told by Suns staff that they have no interest in trading him. But...never say never.
First off I am sorry but you learn absolutely nothing by sitting and watching a basketball game. If sitting and watching taught anything I'd have played in the NBA (If they were in the market for a 6'2" PF not named Barkely). And secondly they not only have no interest in trading him but they also have no interest in playing him. And may never. As much as I like the kid I still say he has not one single NBA level skill. And as slow as he ran SU's offense last year how in the world is he going to adapt to a 24 second shot clock? Oh Lord

All I can think is that they're thinking two years ahead and expecting big salary cap jumps, and so they're trying to stack portions of their roster now with depth. There's not a bad contract in their group of guards.

Thomas is really good value on that contract now. When the cap makes it's big jump though in a couple of years he's going to be a huge steal. Maybe the plan is to have good guards on really appealing contracts for their own roster depth or for trading leverage.

I don't blame Ennis for taking the money. But the owner of the Suns should hold his GM accountable for spending $3 million on a first round draft selection who will not contribute. The owners always want to cry poverty yet they allow their GMs to draft kids who are not ready to contribute and pay them millions to play in the D league. Bad business.

I don't blame Ennis for taking the money. But the owner of the Suns should hold his GM accountable for spending $3 million on a first round draft selection who will not contribute. The owners always want to cry poverty yet they allow their GMs to draft kids who are not ready to contribute and pay them millions to play in the D league. Bad business.
they should have to trade him to the Lakers to make up for the Nash trade. Also Goran Dragic plans on opting out of his contract after this year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why do people still believe that a freshman PG played at his own pace for an entire season under Boeheim? I mean how many games was JB screaming at him to push the ball?

Blaming Ennis for last year's tempo is simply wrong.

Exactly. He took the cash and now will have to live with the consequences. Only time will tell if he ever makes a name for himself in the NBA. I still think he should of stayed in school...
Just out of curiosity is there ANYONE on this board that would t have left school for a guaranteed 7 million dollars? If so, say who you and are and why you would make such a foolish decision ?

Why do people still believe that a freshman PG played at his own pace for an entire season under Boeheim? I mean how many games was JB screaming at him to push the ball?

Blaming Ennis for last year's tempo is simply wrong.

Ennis raised the slow break to an art form. I cannot count the number of times we had numbers and he waited for the defense to catch up. But hey...he didn't turn the ball over.....

First off I am sorry but you learn absolutely nothing by sitting and watching a basketball game. If sitting and watching taught anything I'd have played in the NBA (If they were in the market for a 6'2" PF not named Barkely). And secondly they not only have no interest in trading him but they also have no interest in playing him. And may never. As much as I like the kid I still say he has not one single NBA level skill. And as slow as he ran SU's offense last year how in the world is he going to adapt to a 24 second shot clock? Oh Lord
So another year of college fixes all of that?

kuethstheman said:
So another year of college fixes all of that?

Wouldn't surprise me Ennis never plays in the NBA.

Wouldn't surprise me Ennis never plays in the NBA.
If you feel that is a possibility there is no doubt Ennis leaving and getting 7 million was the right decision. I mean Jonny Flynn got 3-4 years. Unless your Fran Vasquez or Frederick Weis(sorry Knicks you took him over Artest) who never came from Europe you always get a chance to play.

If you feel that is a possibility there is no doubt Ennis leaving and getting 7 million was the right decision. I mean Jonny Flynn got 3-4 years. Unless your Fran Vasquez or Frederick Weis(sorry Knicks you took him over Artest) who never came from Europe you always get a chance to play.

LOL, I was def in favor of Artest. Unbelievably bad pick.

I can't imagine you find too many top 20 picks from college who never appear in an NCAA game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom