virginia got boned | Syracusefan.com

virginia got boned

CorduroyG

Hall of Fame
they win the acc regular season which is obvious from the tourny results the best conference in the country. duke gets the 1 seed over them even though they didnt win the acc and got as far as virginia in the conference tourny. they get a 2 seed and their reward is a 2nd round matchup with a team that gets to the 2nd weekend just about every year and has 1 of the best coaches of all time. and not only that, but the team that knocked them out of the tourny last year. and a team that was playing more like a 2 seed the last month or so than a 10 seed.

imagine if we won the acc but didnt get a 1 seed and see freakin michigan st staring at us in the 2nd round? meanwhile duke's road is another cakewalk. so typical.

some things work in your favor. ucla plays SMU which tanked as expected and then gets UAB who had a one shot pistol. no way virgnia doesnt get thru that easily. there are teams you want to avoid and some teams that are tough outs game 2 because of style and MSU is one of them

they win the acc regular season which is obvious from the tourny results the best conference in the country. duke gets the 1 seed over them even though they didnt win the acc and got as far as virginia in the conference tourny. they get a 2 seed and their reward is a 2nd round matchup with a team that gets to the 2nd weekend just about every year and has 1 of the best coaches of all time. and not only that, but the team that knocked them out of the tourny last year. and a team that was playing more like a 2 seed the last month or so than a 10 seed.

imagine if we won the acc but didnt get a 1 seed and see freakin michigan st staring at us in the 2nd round? meanwhile duke's road is another cakewalk. so typical.

MSU earned a 7 seed based on this season.

UVA choked against Duke. Duke played the harder ACC schedule. NCAA gave Duke the 1 over them.

Thats a UVA problem. Not anyone else's.

30 minutes of the entire game Virginia was down by 5 points. God it was painful to watch!

While Anderson was out UVA played pretty well but when he came back and it was apparent to the other players that he wasn't the same player (shooting hand) it kind of took the wind out of their sails. The NCAA also certainly factored in that Anderson was not back 100% to the player he's been early in the season. BTW there is no regular season ACC champs per the ACC.

They need to make a rule change, that if you don't win the regular season or your conference tournament, you can't be a one. Duke didn't deserve a one. Win your conference. I don't care if they beat Wisconsin in a cow pasture in November, beat Miami at home then you can enter the discussion.

MSU earned a 7 seed based on this season.

UVA choked against Duke. Duke played the harder ACC schedule. NCAA gave Duke the 1 over them.

Thats a UVA problem. Not anyone else's.

uva didnt choke against duke, duke got crazy hot from 3 in the 2nd half. i dont agree with the unbalanced schedule or whatever you call it. you play the teams on your schedule, why should virginia get penalized for having an easier acc schedule? they have no control over that. virginia lost to duke and louisville in the regular season. duke got blown out at home by an nit team.

duke gets every benefit of the doubt. i guarantee if you switched the 2 teams around duke still would have gotten the 1 seed and a cakewalk. if duke goes 16-2 and wins the acc they would be an absolute 100% lock 1 seed 100 times out of 100 regardless of how easy their acc schedule was.

I think the highest you could justify Michigan St is a 6 seed. You knew they were going to scare the crap out of the 2/3 that got matched with them.

You could argue that Virginia as a #1 would have avoided them - fair enough But once it gets to placing team's on lines, the 7 seed goes where it fits best based on location and conference bracketing rules. Sometimes its hard to avoid these things.

UVA reminds me of the great regular season Pitt teams in the BE. I think they play much cleaner defense, have more talent and better upside but they have to play great defense and rebound well because the margin for error is small. Also both teams get away with stuff off of reputation in conference that they don't in the NCAA's. Pitt's big issue was getting called for a lot of fouls in the NCAA including moving screens which limited them on both ends. The pack line relies on keeping the ball handler in front of you and this is where Trice and MSU really beat UVA. In the NCAAT they have been much better at calling any sort of impedance (great sign BTW) of the driver. UVA could not stay infront of the MSU guards regularly enough and they struggled to score themselves.

They need to make a rule change, that if you don't win the regular season or your conference tournament, you can't be a one. Duke didn't deserve a one. Win your conference. I don't care if they beat Wisconsin in a cow pasture in November, beat Miami at home then you can enter the discussion.

EXACTLY!! this stuff doesnt go on in other sports. in football if you win your division you get rewarded with a home game or a bye. the wild card team may have played a tougher schedule or even had a better record BUT THEY DIDNT WIN THEIR DIVISION. the 2nd place team that finished 1 game behind the division winner but played a tougher schedule should get rewarded over the divsion winner? no way, you finished in 2nd place!! but thats exactly what happened with duke and virginia.

EXACTLY!! this stuff doesnt go on in other sports. in football if you win your division you get rewarded with a home game or a bye. the wild card team may have played a tougher schedule or even had a better record BUT THEY DIDNT WIN THEIR DIVISION. the 2nd place team that finished 1 game behind the division winner but played a tougher schedule should get rewarded over the divsion winner? cuz thats exactly what happened with duke and virginia.

Just like in 2010 when we beat tournament team after tournament team in the regular season to win the Big East, and we got shipped West because they beat a bunch of NIT teams in the ACC tournament.

uva didnt choke against duke, duke got crazy hot from 3 in the 2nd half. i dont agree with the unbalanced schedule or whatever you call it. you play the teams on your schedule, why should virginia get penalized for having an easier acc schedule? they have no control over that. virginia lost to duke and louisville in the regular season. duke got blown out at home by an nit team.

duke gets every benefit of the doubt. i guarantee if you switched the 2 teams around duke still would have gotten the 1 seed and a cakewalk. if duke goes 16-2 and wins the acc they would be an absolute 100% lock 1 seed 100 times out of 100 regardless of how easy their acc schedule was.

UVA didnt get punished for it. But when you lose a head to head at home and play the easier schedule - there is your reason duke deserved the 1 seed over them.

I'm sorry only 1 1-seed per conference? That's dumb if you have by far the best conference and deserve 2. I could see the ACC being good enough in a few years to have 2 and be in consideration for 3.

UVA didnt get punished for it. But when you lose a head to head at home and play the easier schedule - there is your reason duke deserved the 1 seed over them.

you dont think duke getting blown out at home to an nit team cancels out their win over virginia? if they both finished 16-2 id be fine with duke getting the 1 since they won the head to head. OR if duke won the acc tournament. but 16-2 is better than 15-3 and they each won 1 game in acc tourny. a team doesnt deserve a 1 seed if they dont win their conference regular season or conference tournament. i dont care what they did in the non conference, you have to win something to earn a 1 seed. i think both arizona and virginia deserved a 1 over duke.

UVA reminds me of the great regular season Pitt teams in the BE. I think they play much cleaner defense, have more talent and better upside but they have to play great defense and rebound well because the margin for error is small. Also both teams get away with stuff off of reputation in conference that they don't in the NCAA's. Pitt's big issue was getting called for a lot of fouls in the NCAA including moving screens which limited them on both ends. The pack line relies on keeping the ball handler in front of you and this is where Trice and MSU really beat UVA. In the NCAAT they have been much better at calling any sort of impedance (great sign BTW) of the driver. UVA could not stay infront of the MSU guards regularly enough and they struggled to score themselves.

Virginia's off / def efficiency splits was 25/2. Both are good, but it's there defence that prevails.

I did a little research last last year, and splits that go the other way tend to do better in the tourney. This year you would have Duke at 2/44 or Gonzaga at 4/35. Those profiles tend to do a bit better come tourney time. A great defensive team during the regular season requires maximum effort and concentration on D. While the tournament could get teams like Duke and Gonzaga to exude a little more effort than it normally does in the regular season or the coach to start riding them harder on the defensive end. Effort, concentration, Coach "pushing" -- it's easier to improve on the defensive end than on the offensive end.

This year the top 4 seeded teams with extremes splits were:

Defence (off/def)
Virginia 25/2
Oklahoma 46/6
Kansas 36./10
Louisville 74/5

Offence (off/def)
Wisconsin 1/39
Duke 2/44
Gonzaga 4/35
Notre Dame 3/103

People often mistake Wisconsin for a slow poor offensive team... and the thing was back in 2013 they were... with a split of 108/1... but in the last 2 years those splits have totally reversed to 4/49 and 1/39. And now they are probably viewed more legitimately as a team.

2 of the defence group survived. 4 of the offence group survived to the round of 16.

there is no doubt about this. virtually every year duke gets the best seed possible, and often 1 seed better than the best seed possible. if I recall correctly, the year su did not make it (when we were not even on the bubble), duke got a 4 seed and, while duke had a better resume than su, they were nowhere near far enough apart to justify 4 seed vs nit. that said, duke is a great team now that winslow has emerged and for my money better than uva, but it is a fact that they get the benefit of seeding year in year out.

Virginia's off / def efficiency splits was 25/2. Both are good, but it's there defence that prevails.

I did a little research last last year, and splits that go the other way tend to do better in the tourney. This year you would have Duke at 2/44 or Gonzaga at 4/35. Those profiles tend to do a bit better come tourney time. A great defensive team during the regular season requires maximum effort and concentration on D. While the tournament could get teams like Duke and Gonzaga to exude a little more effort than it normally does in the regular season or the coach to start riding them harder on the defensive end. Effort, concentration, Coach "pushing" -- it's easier to improve on the defensive end than on the offensive end.

This year the top 4 seeded teams with extremes splits were:

Defence (off/def)
Virginia 25/2
Oklahoma 46/6
Kansas 36./10
Louisville 74/5

Offence (off/def)
Wisconsin 1/39
Duke 2/44
Gonzaga 4/35
Notre Dame 3/103

People often mistake Wisconsin for a slow poor offensive team... and the thing was back in 2013 they were... with a split of 108/1... but in the last 2 years those splits have totally reversed to 4/49 and 1/39. And now they are probably viewed more legitimately as a team.

2 of the defence group survived. 4 of the offence group survived to the round of 16.

Great stuff! It seems its been a while that we had a team that were extremely good on both sides. I'd bet a team that was say top15 in both would have an excellent chance to get to the final four.

duke lost to miami at home by 16, virginia won at miami by 9 (in ot but still)
duke lost at nc state by 12, virginia won at nc state by 4 and at home by 10
duke lost at notre dame by 4 and by 10 in acc tourny, virginia won at notre dame by 6

so you wanna talk about easier acc schedule? virginia went 4-0 against the teams duke lost to.

uva played: wake, va tech and nc state twice
duke played: cuse, unc and notre dame twice
You forgot somebody. We also played Louavul twice (1-1) and they're now our permanent H&H partner replacing the Twerps.

you dont think duke getting blown out at home to an nit team cancels out their win over virginia? if they both finished 16-2 id be fine with duke getting the 1 since they won the head to head. OR if duke won the acc tournament. but 16-2 is better than 15-3 and they each won 1 game in acc tourny. a team doesnt deserve a 1 seed if they dont win their conference regular season or conference tournament. i dont care what they did in the non conference, you have to win something to earn a 1 seed. i think both arizona and virginia deserved a 1 over duke.

well... hindsight being 20/20 uva didnt deserve the 1 over duke. So chalk 1 up for the NCAA

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom