virginia got boned | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

virginia got boned

Let's just start asking teams who'd they'd like to play and do that. There are way too many teams to be worrying about a 7 seed who always does good in the tourney and trying to schedule around them for Virginia's sake. They lost and should have..

Truth is somewhere in the middle.
- Dook's resume' is just better game by game imo. Complain about conf. hardware and prior years all you want (yes, the 2005 and 2010 complaints are valid).
- UVA aint that good without Anderson.
- Utah is no cakewalk in the S16 for a #1. Far from it.

OTOH...
- No qualms with UVA claiming reg. season title. Pomeroy has written at length on how unbalanced schedules are overrated. Google it.
- Sparty a 7 is rough. If they're that mediocre why does Indiana make the tournament when they lost a "must-win" game at home to them the last week of the season? Inconsistency #785 of the committee.

Good question. Beats me, other than for fans to obsess about brackets, I've no idea.
I don't think you realize how awesome your post is.

Nearly every sport everywhere uses some kind of seeding system to help determine their championship. It doesn't matter though. It's just a cosmic coincidence I guess that sports employ to get fans excited. :noidea:

you dont think its relevant that izzo's teams always improve throughout the year and play great in the tournament???

Nothing in prior years is germaine to seeding THIS YEAR. MSU got their seed based on their overall body of work, which was rather mediocre.

UVa has no room to complain. They played like sh-t and they lost. Be better next time.

I mean JHC 30%.

Duke won at Wisconsin. Anyone else have a better OOC road win? Add to that the win at Virginia and does any school have a pair of road wins as good or better than that?

If you want to force teams to go on the road against good opponents, then they need to be rewarded if they do so and win.

a you problem? lol. cant answer the question cause i never said it. and if you dont know the different between your and you're thats a you problem too so there!!!!!
oh! he reaches for the grammar sword and scores a direct hit.

doesn't change the fact that while you claim that past NCAA tournament history doesn't matter, you're whining because you don't like the seeding process that put MSU's historically good tourney performance against UVA

Full_Rebar said:
Duke won at Wisconsin. Anyone else have a better OOC road win? Add to that the win at Virginia and does any school have a pair of road wins as good or better than that? If you want to force teams to go on the road against good opponents, then they need to be rewarded if they do so and win.

Virginia went 4-0 against the team's duke lost to. Duke got blown out at home to an nit team. Shouldn't you reward the team that won the regular season championship in the toughest conference in the country?

uva got boned when Anderson went down. tough break, as we can attest to.
he was essentially playing as a decoy in the tourney = turble offense

Virginia went 4-0 against the team's duke lost to. Duke got blown out at home to an nit team. Shouldn't you reward the team that won the regular season championship in the toughest conference in the country?

Unbalanced schedule = not necessarily.

moqui said:
oh! he reaches for the grammar sword and scores a direct hit. doesn't change the fact that while you claim that past NCAA tournament history doesn't matter, you're whining because you don't like the seeding process that put MSU's historically good tourney performance against UVA

IT DOESNT MATTER WHEN IT COMES TO SEEDING. IT MATTERS WHEN IT COMES TO PERFORMANCE.

Again, show me where I said their previous tourny success effects their seeding. It doesn't. My point is izzo's teams are notorious for getting off to slow starts, slowly improving throughout the year, and being a very tough out in the tourny regardless of their seed. Any 2 seed is not gonna be happy seeing a potential 2nd round matchup with Michigan st. So not only do I think Virginia got boned with duke getting the 1 seed over them, they also got the double whammy of playing Michigan st in 2nd round.

IT DOESNT MATTER WHEN IT COMES TO SEEDING. IT MATTERS WHEN IT COMES TO PERFORMANCE.

I'm not sure about that. I seeded one of my kids when I was out of my mind drunk and I'm sure my performance was subpar. Still kid seems to be just as messed up as the other two. :eek:

docsu said:
Unbalanced schedule = not necessarily.

But that's where uva going 4-0 against the team's duke lost to blows up the unbalanced schedule excuse. It's not like duke lost to great teams or teams uva didn't play.

If the resumes and schedules were reversed you think Virginia gets the 1seed over duke? If you say yes you're crazy.

Does anyone know their records against common opponents? That might be the biggest factor when you play unbalanced schedules.

But that's where uva going 4-0 against the team's duke lost to blows up the unbalanced schedule excuse. It's not like duke lost to great teams or teams uva didn't play.

If the resumes and schedules were reversed you think Virginia gets the 1seed over duke? If you say yes you're crazy.

So does that 4-0 mark trump a win @ Wisconsin? Or a win against UVa AT UVa? Does it trump RPI and SOS, both of which favor Duke?

You want to tout the Izzo/March narratve, which does have some validity, but he has had some first round stinkers as well (NC State, Nevada, UCLA)

Truth is somewhere in the middle.
- Dook's resume' is just better game by game imo. Complain about conf. hardware and prior years all you want (yes, the 2005 and 2010 complaints are valid).
- UVA aint that good without Anderson.
- Utah is no cakewalk in the S16 for a #1. Far from it.

OTOH...
- No qualms with UVA claiming reg. season title. Pomeroy has written at length on how unbalanced schedules are overrated. Google it.
- Sparty a 7 is rough. If they're that mediocre why does Indiana make the tournament when they lost a "must-win" game at home to them the last week of the season? Inconsistency #785 of the committee.

Sparty a 7 is rough? Have you seen their resume?

docsu said:
So does that 4-0 mark trump a win @ Wisconsin? Or a win against UVa AT UVa? Does it trump RPI and SOS, both of which favor Duke? You want to tout the Izzo/March narratve, which does have some validity, but he has had some first round stinkers as well (NC State, Nevada, UCLA)
Virginia winning the ACC regular season, getting as far as duke in the conference tourny, going 4-0 against the team's duke lost to, and not getting blown out at home to an nit team trump anything duke did. A 1seed needs to win something, they need to earn it. Duke didn't win jack. If they wanted to earn the 1 seed don't lose to miami at home. I'd love to know how many previous 1seeds didn't win their conference regular season or at least get to the tournament championship game. Only duke could pull that off.

1. Seeding does matter sweet 16 vs round of 32 is a big deal, still. Just like elite 8 vs round of 16 is a huge deal and final four vs elite 8 is a massively huge deal. 64 to 32 is alittle less then those imo.

2.Michigan state was 23-11, and was 14-7 in conference.
Hard to give that much better then a 7. Curious how many teams with 11 losses have gotten better then 7 in recent the years, for those who want to argue. Also Was virginia considered the best 2 seed, because they probably should have been?

MSU clearly was a bad draw for UVA due to their similar styles...MSU is just the master of the ugly(ier) duckling style. Same reason they beat them last year in the tourney as well. UVA was not playing their best hoops down the stretch, they were in a 62-60 game against Belmont with about 4 minutes left on Friday prior to their late 10/12-0 run...

Sparty a 7 is rough? Have you seen their resume?

Yes. There's a difference between resume' and "how good/dangerous is this team" though. Maryland deserved their #4 or maybe even a #3 based on the resume' but if you follow advanced stats they weren't really a top 15 or even top 20 team. UK last yr the opposite.

Virginia was not the crisp passing, hard working team we've seen before. Interesting too that one of the players called out the rest of the team and said they didn't show up. Real classy.

Duke had a much more impressive resume and beat them on the floor. Who did Uva beat this year that was that impressive?

Yes. There's a difference between resume' and "how good/dangerous is this team" though. Maryland deserved their #4 or maybe even a #3 based on the resume' but if you follow advanced stats they weren't really a top 15 or even top 20 team. UK last yr the opposite.

interesting point.
maryland was 26-7 msu 23-11 pretty big difference, especially considering they played in the same conference.

on the other hand maryland was not top 100 in any big catagory, msu was 4th in assists, 36 in rebounds 36 in fg% and 67th in points per game. That does mean they are a pretty well balenced team, especially for what should have been probably the top 2 seed in only the 2nd round.

If we're going to play games with transitive properties I'd be loathe to mention that duke has a neutral court win over...Michigan State.

If we're going to play games with transitive properties I'd be loathe to mention that duke has a neutral court win over...Michigan State.

Duke has a road win over a one seed, a neutral court win over sparty, road wins against St Johns, Uva, and Lville, and they swept Unc.

Cusefan0307 said:
They need to make a rule change, that if you don't win the regular season or your conference tournament, you can't be a one. Duke didn't deserve a one. Win your conference. I don't care if they beat Wisconsin in a cow pasture in November, beat Miami at home then you can enter the discussion.

Force everyone to play the same conference schedule and I'll agree. But since you can't...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom