Virginia Tech AD says ACCN To Launch later This Year | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Virginia Tech AD says ACCN To Launch later This Year

The ACC NW news is what's interesting, not speculation about ND. ESPN's $45M NW/payout deadline in the ACC contract is 3 months away.

Well, if ND wants to join the B1G, it's going to cost them. They are contractually obligated to join the ACC only for the next 11 or so years. I don't know what the penalty would be if they joined another conference, but it has to be considerable. In addition, they are obligated to pay the same exit fee ($50+ M) any full-membership team would. I don't see the B1G in ND's immediate future.
I am also quite sure when ND joined the ACC, the contract they signed says if they become a full member of a conference during the length of the contract, it has to be with the ACC.

I think Brando's source is not credible...

I am also quite sure when ND joined the ACC, the contract they signed says if they become a full member of a conference during the length of the contract, it has to be with the ACC.

I think Brando's source is not credible...

...but let's not allow facts to get in the way of a good rumor...

Nothing would make me happier than the ND stuck in the Big Ten. The only thing the ND fanbase loves more than Independence is their hatred of the Big Ten and how Michigan blackballed them.

No chance ND joins the Big Ten in the near future. I would love it it would be great. I don't care about the money the Big Ten would get the ND fanbase would be miserable.

Brando works for FOX this is wishful thinking for a loyal soldier. ND football will never join a full football conference unless the NCAA mandates it necessary.

...but let's not allow facts to get in the way of a good rumor...

That's what drives me nuts about the ND to the B1G rumors. There's a lot of history there that goes far beyond money (maybe not for a guy like Jim Delany, but for his voting ADs, significantly) that seems to never be taken into consideration.

Considerations:
- Notre Dame is not an AAU member due to its desire to be independent from sectarian academic organizations. This in and of itself is a problem for the B1G, compounded even mores by what membership in the B1G would demand of requiring to become part of the CIC.
- There's a significant amount of history with ND and B1G schools and while they may be rivals, ND's arrogance towards conference membership has burned some bridges. If they want into the B1G, then they're going to have to kiss some asses that they won't.
- ND would mean 15 for the B1G. Who's 16? With the signed deal with Fox, is there any type of incentive to the B1G for adding ND? Does that contract have a look-in if a new team is added? What's the cumulative value to the conference of both ND and the 16th team?
- ND values its football independence more than any other tradition it has this side of gold helmets and a Jesus on a library.
- Becoming a B1G member will require ND to play 9 conference games. Their current list of rivals are: Navy, USC, Pitt, BC, Purdue, MSU, UofM. They've shown they're willing to sacrifice a few of those to enable their relationship with the ACC, but they will NEVER give up playing Navy or USC. So that would leave them with 1 non-conference opening, and 2 annual rivals (Pitt and BC) that they'd likely have to discontinue playing.

Nothing would make me happier than the ND stuck in the Big Ten. The only thing the ND fanbase loves more than Independence is their hatred of the Big Ten and how Michigan blackballed them.

No chance ND joins the Big Ten in the near future. I would love it it would be great. I don't care about the money the Big Ten would get the ND fanbase would be miserable.

Brando works for FOX this is wishful thinking for a loyal soldier. ND football will never join a full football conference unless the NCAA mandates it necessary.

Good point here about him working for FOX, and how that impacts their newly acquired asset. Collusion is heavy it appears.

- Becoming a B1G member will require ND to play 9 conference games. Their current list of rivals are: Navy, USC, Pitt, BC, Purdue, MSU, UofM. They've shown they're willing to sacrifice a few of those to enable their relationship with the ACC, but they will NEVER give up playing Navy or USC. So that would leave them with 1 non-conference opening, and 2 annual rivals (Pitt and BC) that they'd likely have to discontinue playing.

You forgot Stanford. They have a West Coast trip every season (to either NoCal or SoCal). Have to keep the West Coast Alums happy.

Brando has disavowed his comments regarding ND to the B1G. Says he was "misunderstood." Personally, I think Brando fell for some dude or dudette's line of horse sh&t, but whatever prompted his ill-advised tweet it has been retracted.

P.S. Brando still stands by his claim that the ACC Network will be announced sooner rather than later.

That's what drives me nuts about the ND to the B1G rumors. There's a lot of history there that goes far beyond money (maybe not for a guy like Jim Delany, but for his voting ADs, significantly) that seems to never be taken into consideration.

Considerations:
- Notre Dame is not an AAU member due to its desire to be independent from sectarian academic organizations. This in and of itself is a problem for the B1G, compounded even mores by what membership in the B1G would demand of requiring to become part of the CIC.
- There's a significant amount of history with ND and B1G schools and while they may be rivals, ND's arrogance towards conference membership has burned some bridges. If they want into the B1G, then they're going to have to kiss some asses that they won't.
- ND would mean 15 for the B1G. Who's 16? With the signed deal with Fox, is there any type of incentive to the B1G for adding ND? Does that contract have a look-in if a new team is added? What's the cumulative value to the conference of both ND and the 16th team?
- ND values its football independence more than any other tradition it has this side of gold helmets and a Jesus on a library.

Thought I heard Oklahoma was imminent. :)

Brando has disavowed his comments regarding ND to the B1G. Says he was "misunderstood." Personally, I think Brando fell for some dude or dudette's line of horse sh&t, but whatever prompted his ill-advised tweet it has been retracted.

P.S. Brando still stands by his claim that the ACC Network will be announced sooner rather than later.
From the recent article with the Clemson AD, regardless of how little he actually did say, he did make it clear that ACC AD's were watching closely the emerging gap between B10, SEC and the rest. I imagine there is crazy pressure on Swofford to make this happen ASAP.

Tim Brando ‏@TimBrando 12h
It appears the essence of my tweet concerning the ACC in its quest to have its own Network sooner rather than later has been misconstrued.

The intent of the Tweet was based on Intel regarding Conference realignment being back on the table. That part is accurate.

I've spoken to the ultimate source within the ACC, and it should be noted I've always been a proponent of ND joining the ACC in all sports.

Not only did ND join the Conference and sign a Grant of Rights to the ACC. Additionally a contract is in place beyond that assuring no move!

A contract exists saying that when The Irish join a Conference in football that League can ONLY be the ACC. Period.

I stand by the Intel on ACC & ESPN moving swiftly towards forming an ACC Network, but apologize to any that misunderstood my points on ND.

It appears the essence of my tweet concerning the ACC in its quest to have its own Network sooner rather than later has been misconstrued.

The intent of the Tweet was based on Intel regarding Conference realignment being back on the table. That part is accurate.

I've spoken to the ultimate source within the ACC, and it should be noted I've always been a proponent of ND joining the ACC in all sports.

Not only did ND join the Conference and sign a Grant of Rights to the ACC. Additionally a contract is in place beyond that assuring no move!

A contract exists saying that when The Irish join a Conference in football that League can ONLY be the ACC. Period.

I stand by the Intel on ACC & ESPN moving swiftly towards forming an ACC Network, but apologize to any that misunderstood my points on ND.
That's like the old - I apologize to anyone who was offended by my remarks. I think we understood your points fine Timmy.

As I indicated in another thread a while back, I expect the ACCN to be announced around the time of ACC football media days. I wonder if broadcasts of hoops and other non-football games (lax, baseball, softball, etc.) starting in the Spring would meet their '16-'17 obligation.

The intent of the Tweet was based on Intel regarding Conference realignment being back on the table. That part is accurate..

Claiming that conference realignment will be happening again is like predicting that the sun will rise in the east tomorrow morning. Conferences have been in a near-constant state of change for, oh, only the past century.

I mean, just think about the timeline in the past ~25 years...

-Penn State joins the Big Ten
-Florida State joins ACC
-Major eastern independents form Big East Football Conference
-SEC adds Arkansas
-SWC dissolves
-Big 8 adds 4 SWC teams to become Big 12
-Remains of SWC and Metro Conference indies form Conference USA
-Mountain West created from 8 teams leaving WAC
-ACC raids BEFC
-BEFC adds Louisville, USF, Cincinnati from C-USA
-Colorado leaves Big 12 for Pac 12
-Utah leaves MWC for Pac-12
-Nebraska leaves Big 12 for Big Ten
-Texas A&M leaves Big 12 for SEC
-ACC adds Syracuse, Pitt, spurns UConn
-Big 12 adds West Virginia, TCU
-Big Ten adds Maryland, Rutgers
-ACC adds Notre Dame for all sports but football
-ACC adds Lousiville, spurns UConn again
-BEFC dissolves
-American Conference forms

And I'm sure I forgot a bunch of things. I think the longest lull in conference machinations has been 5 years.

Death. Taxes. Conference realignment.

You forgot Stanford. They have a West Coast trip every season (to either NoCal or SoCal). Have to keep the West Coast Alums happy.

Good point - them too.

Claiming that conference realignment will be happening again is like predicting that the sun will rise in the east tomorrow morning. Conferences have been in a near-constant state of change for, oh, only the past century.

-Florida State joins ACC
-SEC adds Arkansas
-SWC dissolves
-ACC raids BEFC
-BEFC dissolves

And I'm sure I forgot a bunch of things. I think the longest lull in conference machinations has been 5 years.

Power 5 leaves NCAA, UConn spurned again.

-Florida State joins ACC
-SEC adds Arkansas
-SWC dissolves
-ACC raids BEFC
-BEFC dissolves

- Missouri leaves Big 12 for SEC

Considerations:

There are a lot of issues that would take significant time to address before ND and the B1G could come to terms. One glaring fact that would have to be overcome is the fact that ND plays to their audience. The B1G simply lacks enough east coast presence: PSU is not close enough for the blue collar fans in the major cities; Rutgers refused to play them in Giants Stadium/Met Life Stadium while in the Big East, it is highly unlikely that Rutgers would accept an offer to play there now; UMD - OK, it can be argued that Baltimore and possibly DC are close enough, but ND would more than likely wish to play in the Redskins stadium than a smaller venue, especially since they have the agreement to play Navy (making the UMD option less beneficial). The B1G has no presence below DC and that is the growing area with large Catholic populations from which to draw students and fans.

Ignoring Beantown, NYC, Philly, Pitt, Charlotte, Miami, and several more cities is dangerous to ND's legacy of playing where their fans are, winning the blue collar crowd based on religion and maintaining a national appeal. Playing USC and Stanford puts ND on the West coast. Playing other big name schools throughout the US fills in the gaps. I don't particularly like ND, but I recognize their goals and can see their interests for what they are, their own interests.

Besides, ND would have to give up all of the above and more, lose their private football deal, and share stadium revenues just to be forced to play Rutgers at Rutgers every other year, play mid-western rust belt teams and be stuck in a conference. From their perspective: Why?

-Florida State joins ACC
-SEC adds Arkansas
-SWC dissolves
-ACC raids BEFC
-BEFC dissolves

Outstanding summarization except for the Missouri to SEC from Big 12 thing as has already been mentioned. And the timeline is right - the fat began to hit the fan in 1990, and although there had been earlier moves like Arizona and Arizona State to the Pac 8 in 1978, they were less widespread as this old blog by the Wake AD makes clear: http://www.wakeforestsports.com/genrel/120712aaa.html

But 1990 is when the earth began to shake - the SEC found the NCAA "loophole" (originally for 1-AA called FCS now) allowing a 12 team league to form two 6 team divisions and stage a conference championship game - they could "monetize" that game - $$$ - and they did. This prompted the Big 12 to follow suit when they formed and the 9 team ACC to get 3 teams from the BEFC to do the same. South Carolina from the Metro became the SEC's 12th team in 1990 when FSU selected the ACC - the only other team not mentioned in your summary.

The 2nd earthquake started in 2010 when the Big 10 decided to add a 12th team and also stage a conference championship game. The Pac 10 quickly followed, becoming the Pac 12 and the Big 12 had a near-death experience. By 2011, there was talk about "16 team superconferences" - 12 was not enough and suddenly the ACC had 14 + 1 schools with the SEC and Big 10 following with 14 each.

It wasn't a mad dash for cash only - schools sought $$$, stability, and academic/geographic fit. The ACC will be OK in the future at least until 2027 and if they can get a network or further monetize their TV rights during that time should be OK in the far future too. You don't have to equal or exceed Big 10 or SEC money but you need to be in the ball park.

Last edited:
Cincy insider MSMoose on 24/7 stated he thinks network announcement on Thursday. We'll see...just throwing it out there.

My thoughts: It is vital for ESPN to keep the ACC in tact. I think a huge sticking point (besides FOX/Raycom) would be a lengthened GoR.

H/T: uofl05 at csnbbs.com

Cincy insider MSMoose on 24/7 stated he thinks network announcement on Thursday. We'll see...just throwing it out there.

My thoughts: It is vital for ESPN to keep the ACC in tact. I think a huge sticking point (besides FOX/Raycom) would be a lengthened GoR.

H/T: uofl05 at csnbbs.com
Hearing a lot more rumblings about a network. Even some of the long time Anti-ACC people are hearing it. Let's see what happens