Visitors for March 1, 2015 | Syracusefan.com

Visitors for March 1, 2015

CuseLegacy

CB/WR Emanuel Appiah Bergen Catholic

DE/OLB Sal Mauro Bergen Catholic

WR Gene Coleman Bergen Catholic (Offered)

OG Will Fries Cranford (Offered)

QB/SS Anthony Brown St. John Vianney (Offered)

RB Tyler Thompson Ocean City

Plus...

2015 Commits Pickard and Strickland

All visiting 3/1.

Last edited:
Free Article...

http://syracuse.At their request, t...story/1521717-recruiting-weekend-primer?s=185

Syracuse will have six 2016 prospects on campus Sunday and two class of 2015 signees. Full preview inside.

With national signing day for the 2015 class almost a month in the rearview mirror, Syracuse is focusing on the 2016 cycle. They have their first day with multiple prospects on campus coming up on Sunday.
All of the players visiting are from New Jersey, as Syracuse looks to continue to build that pipeline. Helping their efforts on Sunday will be 2015 signees Jake Pickard and Dontae Strickland. Both will also be on campus showing the players below around and talking up the Orange.
Strickland will only be on campus for that day, but Pickard is staying through Monday night’s basketball game against Virginia.
Here is a look at who will be visiting.
Player: Will Fries
Class: 2016
Position: Offensive Guard
Rating: 3-star
Height/Weight: 6-foot-6/265 lbs.
School: Cranford Senior High (Cranford, N.J.)
Syracuse Offer: Yes
Other Offers: Boston College, Clemson, Duke, Maryland, Miami, NC State, Northwestern, Penn State, Pittsburgh, Rutgers, South Carolina, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Wake Forest
Notes: Fries is one of Syracuse’s top offensive line targets in the class. He already boasts an impressive offer list. He has been in contact with both Bobby Acosta and Joe Adam.
Player: Tyler Thompson
Position: Running Back
Height/Weight: 5-foot-11/180 lbs.
School: Ocean Township High (Oakhurst, N.J.)
Other Offers: Boston College, Old Dominion, Temple
Notes: Thompson tried to visit multiple times during the 2014 season but was unable to make it to campus. Now, he is set to check things out in person for the first time. Coach Acosta has been in touch with him for a long time.
Player: Anthony Brown
Position: Quarterback
Height/Weight: 6-foot-1/180 lbs.
School: St. John Vianney Regional (Holmdel, N.J.)
Other Offers: Northwestern, Old Dominion
Notes: Syracuse was the first to discover Brown’s talents, who works in the offseason with former Orange quarterback Madei Williams. Williams raves about Brown’s abilities, and Syracuse wants to bring in one or two quarterback this cycle. He is one of their top targets.
Player: Gene Coleman
Position: Wide Receiver
Height/Weight: 6-foot-0/180 lbs.
School: Bergen Catholic (Oradell, N.J.)
Other Offers: Rutgers
Notes: Coleman is one of the most talented prospects in a deep New Jersey wide receivers class. It is a key position for Syracuse in 2016, and he is one of the Orange’s top targets. This will be one of several visits he takes during the spring and is a chance for Syracuse to make an impression.
Player: Sal Mauro
Position: Defensive End
Rating: NR
Height/Weight: 6-foot-3/234 lbs.
Syracuse Offer: No
Other Offers: None
Notes: Mauro will come seeking an offer. He is another one of Bergen Catholic’s talented players. It is a great school in which to have connections as Syracuse looks to build a strong relationship there. Mauro is originally from Staten Island, and considers Syracuse a home-state team.
Player: Emmanuel Appiah
Position: Cornerback
Rating: NR
Height/Weight: 6-foot-0.5/180 lbs.
Syracuse Offer: No
Other Offers: Stanford
Notes: Appiah is a fast corner with size. While he does not have a Syracuse offer yet, it would not be surprising if he added one at some point.

Steve Edelson ‏@steveedelsonapp Nov 21
As his Ocean teammates prepare for Matawan, Tyler Thompson focused on a full recovery
http://on.app.com/1qYt9Hh via @AsburyParkPress

Ocean's Tyler Thompson focused on a full recovery

Stephen Edelson; @SteveEdelsonAPP 7:30 p.m. EST November 19, 2014
7 TWEETLINKEDIN 2 COMMENTEMAILMORE
WALL – – Study Tyler Thompson, listen carefully as he speaks and there's little to betray the fact that his world's been turned upside down.

There are other signs, like the crutches that support the talented junior as the broken bones in his left leg heal.

And the sight of his Ocean Township teammates practicing behind him, indoors at GoodSports USA on Wednesday, as they prepare for their CJ Group III semifinal showdown with Matawan after knocking off top-seeded Hopewell Valley.

But the demeanor and outlook of one of the Shore's top players, a 6-2, 210-pound running back with room to grow, belies his situation during a time when the college recruiting process is heating up.

""I just try to focus on coming back next year, because I know a lot of people are doubting me, that I won't be the same,'' he said. ""I'm going to overcome this injury, not matter what. I don't want my senior year to be my lowest yard-wise and touchdown-wise just because of this injury.''

Everyone knew the injury as bad when Thompson was tackled with four minutes to play in their loss to Red Bank Catholic at Albert Carrelli Field on Nov. 1, as the two orthopedists on the sideline that night set the leg on the field and placed it in a splint before loading him into the ambulance.

The next morning Thompson underwent surgery on the two broken bones, attaching a rod to his tibia. Ever since then he's been pestering everyone, from his doctors and coaches to his family, about when he can start his rehabilitation.

""As soon as I got hurt I was thinking, "I'm not going to get over 1,000 yards all four years,'' he said. ""And I don't want any colleges to think I'm not going to be the same back next year, because I will be.''

Now, the goal is to be ready to run at the various recruiting camps next summer, before proving himself on the field as a senior after rushing for 2,492 yards over the course of his freshman and sophomore seasons.

""Are there schools that are going to back off him?'' said Chris Melvin, analyst for EliteRecruits.com. ""You may have some schools that will say "we're looking elsewhere.' That's going to happen. But there are going to be a lot of school who are going to say 'we're going to see what happens with him.' ''

Melvin was at Bishop McDevitt High School in Harrisburg, Pa. in 2005 when senior LeShon McCoy suffered a badly broken ankle, using the Philadelphia Eagles running back, who went on to star at in college at Pittsburgh, as an example of what's possible.

""I think most realize Tyler Thompson has great size,'' Melvin said. ""He's not one of those dart-like backs. He's an I-formation back. The thing he brings is he's powerful and he's explosive. Can he come back with those same attributes? I know he can because I know what kind of kid he is, and I've seen it with LeShon McCoy.''

The night he was injured Thompson's phone never stopped ringing, with friends from throughout the Shore Conference, including some who even played with him on an AYF All-Star team that went to Florida when they were eighth graders, reached out to offer their support.

And in the days that followed, there were other calls, too.

""I talked to Coach Z (Mike Zyskowski) from Old Dominion, coach (Bobby) Acosta from Syracuse, and coach (Joe) Rossi from Rutgers,'' Thompson said, ""and they all said "just kill it in physical therapy, we're on your side, we're hoping your leg gets better.' They haven't really dropped any offers or anything like that.''

Now, the hardest part for Thompson is watching.

Not the play itself. He's seen the replay of the pass he caught in the right flat a bunch of times, trying to analyze what went wrong.

It's having to stand on the sideline as his teammates press on, unable to help, aside from some emotional support.

But as you listen to Thompson talk in measured, confident tones, you find it hard to believe he won't take his place next fall as one of the state's most coveted running backs.

With SU getting back into NJ, I really have to pay attention to the high school football scene down here now!

It's so important the committed NJ guys are going there. It gets thrown around a lot, but getting recruits that are great team leaders, as well as regional guys, who the younger players in the region are in awe of, are equally as important. Peers probably hold as much clout in the recruiting process as anyone.

It's so important the committed NJ guys are going there. It gets thrown around a lot, but getting recruits that are great team leaders, as well as regional guys, who the younger players in the region are in awe of, are equally as important. Peers probably hold as much clout in the recruiting process as anyone.

• 3:58 AM - 1 Mar 2015
    Jake Pickard‏@JakePickard2015 7m7 minutes ago
    1f34a.png
    1f608.png

Looks like Strickland has a team mate visiting with him...

2016 CB Wendell Allen South Brunswick NJ