Vols-Syracuse video (1977) | Syracusefan.com

Vols-Syracuse video (1977)

BillVol

Walk On
A Tennessee fan uploaded this to You Tube recently and I thought you might enjoy. Incredible that Jim Boeheim is still coaching Syracuse! I think Rick Pitino is on the Cuse bench, too. This was the first Tennessee game I ever saw on TV and as poster on the YT thread says, my first Vol heartbreak. My first post here, so I hope the link works.

Bouie & Louie > Bernie & Ernie :)
Yes, unfortunately. :) This was a game everyone in Tennessee was excited about. We had Coach Ray Mears, HOFer Bernard King and Ernie Grunfeld. And Reggie Johnson, who played in the NBA, too. But it was not to be. But we lost to a great opponent with a coach who is in the HOF or should be. This was Ray Mears's last game. He had to resign due to his battle with depression.

I remember watching this game on tv. Never realized that it was Ray Mears last game. I remember that Louie, Bouie, Ernie & Bernie all fouled out. I think we were down 3 or 4 players from fouls - amazing win by our bench. Great win to start JB's coaching career. He was like the youngest coach in the country back then. The next round we played UNC-Charlotte and lost because of their zone. Always wondered if that was the start of JB's great interest in zone defense.

Rosie Bouie still lives in the Central NY area and goes to a number of SU games. Thank you for posting this.

A Tennessee fan uploaded this to You Tube recently and I thought you might enjoy. Incredible that Jim Boeheim is still coaching Syracuse! I think Rick Pitino is on the Cuse bench, too. This was the first Tennessee game I ever saw on TV and as poster on the YT thread says, my first Vol heartbreak. My first post here, so I hope the link works.

Wow...thanks for posting this!
The Orange had two future NBA players on the court in Louie Orr and Marty Byrnes.
And Rosie had a long career in Italy.
Back in the day there...the players actually were students and lived in dorms.
Rosie, Marty & Bobby Parker lived in Lawrinson.
Rosie used to have to duck about two feet to get his afro into the elevator.
Hard to believe that was 37 years ago.

I remember watching this game on tv. Never realized that it was Ray Mears last game. I remember that Louie, Bouie, Ernie & Bernie all fouled out. I think we were down 3 or 4 players from fouls - amazing win by our bench. Great win to start JB's coaching career. He was like the youngest coach in the country back then. The next round we played UNC-Charlotte and lost because of their zone. Always wondered if that was the start of JB's great interest in zone defense.

Rosie Bouie still lives in the Central NY area and goes to a number of SU games. Thank you for posting this.
Cornbread Maxwell :(

Thanks for the quality post Bill, remember the game well. I was pretty thrilled we came back and won that game as Ernie Grunfeld and Bernard King were well known around the country as being two of the best players in America. The Vols jumped out to a quick lead and I thought we were about to get blown out.. Strange seeing Danny Thomas selling Norelco Coffee machines.

Also, no three point line and jump ball for all tie-ups, Boeheim playing M2M, God I'm old. 2nd time I've seen this game, once in 1977 and today.

The next round we played UNC-Charlotte and lost because of their zone. Always wondered if that was the start of JB's great interest in zone defense.

Actually, I think it was a little more than jus UNCC's zone. A guy named Cedric "Cornbread" Maxwell also had something to do with it.

Also...look at this video when Rosie fouls out. Grunfeld shakes hands with him. When Bernard King fouls Shackleford and fouls out...they shake hands as King is leaving. I doubt you'd see that today. Players are too busy posing. And don't tell me the guys today play any harder than guys like Marty Byrnes and Roosevelt Bouie and Bernard King and Ernie Grunfeld (who shoulda gone to SU) did.

Also...before the Tennessee game I believe Boeheim went way out on a limb for him and said something to the effect that we could win if we held Bernie & Ernie to a combined 50 points or less. They got 49.

Wow! I remember watching this game in a dorm room at SUNY Binghamton on a 12" B&W. All the NYC kids there were big King/Grunfeld fans, and were laughing their asses off early on. But the good guys ground it out and yours truly had the last laugh. Great, great game.

Last edited:
Thank you, thank you. I got to see some guys who played when I was there--Bouie, Orr, Shackelford, Byrnes, Williams, Kindel, Kelley, Drew, and I think I saw Hal Cohen on the bench. I recognize them all, but I forgot how skinny they were. Great memories.

Cornbread Maxwell :(

Maxwell was great of course (19 points) but we couldn't hit an outside shot. Jimmy Williams & Larry Kelley, our starting guards were held to like 4 points total after scoring around 40 together against Tennessee. They just packed in a zone and dared us to shoot. We got killed by over 20 points and didn't even score 60. Bad memory.

Actually, I think it was a little more than jus UNCC's zone. A guy named Cedric "Cornbread" Maxwell also had something to do with it.

Also...look at this video when Rosie fouls out. Grunfeld shakes hands with him. When Bernard King fouls Shackleford and fouls out...they shake hands as King is leaving. I doubt you'd see that today. Players are too busy posing. And don't tell me the guys today play any harder than guys like Marty Byrnes and Roosevelt Bouie and Bernard King and Ernie Grunfeld (who shoulda gone to SU) did.

I've watched this video a few times now. What an entertaining game despite no 3-point line and no shot clock. I think basketball would be better without the three (I'm in the minority, I know), although we will always have a shot clock, thanks to Dean Smith. Passing was much better in that era. Sharp chest passes, bounce passes, outlet passes. Guessing shooting was better then. Also, no slapping hands with the free throw shooter by every member of the team after every attempt, made or not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom