WAG Minutes | Syracusefan.com

WAG Minutes

dilligaf

Walk On
How about a Wild A$$ Guess for minutes this season

WAG Minutes

Core Starters
Coony, G, Robe @ 34 minutes (last season 37, 35, 28)

Center
Coleman (15 - 25) /Obokoh (10 - 20)/ small(Robe or Lydon) 10/5

The Rest
KJ/Malachi/Lydon 25/16.5/16.5 (this is the most speculative part of the WAG)
Who knows if one of these guys blows up or blows out?

My apologies to Howard he may provide something the others can't.
I just left him off list because he is the least heralded around here.
When is the last season the ninth guy played much in our system?

Last edited:
Cooney 33
Gbinije 36
Roberson 32
Joseph 27
Coleman 22
Obokoh 14
Lydon 12
Malachi 12 (I think Malachi will get a 8 minute stretch then a 3 or vice versa).
Howard -If he shows some isolation game and hits that long floater around the freethrow line he could get some minutes. REGUARDLESS, he will step up big next year.

For Cooney to see less minutes it would be because of his defense. And as a Bold statement, rewarding him with less minutes could be best for the team.

Some games that are barely lost offensively, could have been much easier won with two pressure defenders at the top of the zone. Cooney saw this first hand as MCW and Triche took us to a final four. Let us not forget how Indiana the number one team in the country's backcourt were held to I believe 2 points against us in that elite 8 game. And let us not forget how MCW and I think it was Hardaway Jr shut each other down to around 4-5 points in the final four game 2 games later.

Last edited:
One good thing about this year - no overhyped "Paul Harris Bunyon" players.

Not even any JB suggestion, to my knowledge, about how good we might be.

Lydon got some praise from SU veterans, but it wasn't sensationalized.

Nobody's crowning Malachi the next Lawrence Moten just yet.

Maybe we'll enjoy being pleasantly surprised instead of shocked and disappointed.

WAG Minutes

Core Starters

Center

The Rest

Richardson and Lydon get more run than KJ, IMO

WAG Minutes

Core Starters

Center

The Rest

Yeah...WAG doesn't mean what you think it means.

One good thing about this year - no overhyped "Paul Harris Bunyon" players.

Not even any JB suggestion, to my knowledge, about how good we might be.

Lydon got some praise from SU veterans, but it wasn't sensationalized.

Nobody's crowning Malachi the next Lawrence Moten just yet.

Maybe we'll enjoy being pleasantly surprised instead of shocked and disappointed.

Dilly... you are just flat out wrong about the MaliMoten assumption. Mali IS the 2nd coming of Poetry in Moten. The kid is going to flat out dominate the ACC!

We know that isn't likely... but on a serious note I think he has a chance to carve out a significant impact as a freshman. There is ample opportunity for these kids to earn playing time and shine and it's as wide open as I can remember for newcomers to do so.

You know "WAG" has a whole new meaning these days. Personally, I was very disappointed in this post. LOL

I'm so confused. Some of these meanings could apply concurrently.

Wag is
an acronym used to refer to wives and girlfriends of high-profile sportspersons

a highland district in the Amhara Region of Ethiopia. ...

ice hockey referee and organizer in Canada nicknamed "Old Wag",

to move from side to side, forward and backward, or up and down, especially rapidly and repeatedly: a dog wagging its tail.

to move (the tongue), as in idle or ...

Cooney - 34
Gbinije - 34
Roberson - 32
Joseph - 26
Coleman - 25
Lydon - 19
Richardson - 18
Obokoh - 8
Howard - 4

That seems about right. With Howard potentially being the fourth guard in what would primarily be a three guard rotation. And if Joseph falters, then he would be the beneficiary of increased minutes at Joseph's expense.

Coleman 26--this might be a lot for him, he may not be up for it, but the team needs it. This is a best case scenario.
Roberson 31
Gbinije 35
Cooney 34
Mal 24--IMO he'll be too valuable as a shooter to not make a push for meaningful minutes
Joseph 20
Lydon 20
Obokoh 10--probably not ready to be a regular in the rotation but the middle is slim

I think Howard does not figure in as a regular when conference play begins.

Nice.
Off hand not much disparity in our projections.
Looks like general consensus on minutes
- the big 3 in low to mid 30s,

other minutes based on seniority
KJ 20-30 minutes,
Lydon and Mali 15-20

and center minutes based on durability/foul out expectations
DC 20-25 minutes
Hope we can get 10 to 15 productive minutes from Chino
- looks like he has doubters here.

WAG Minutes

Core Starters

Center

The Rest

In conference games that are close games and OOC games that aren't (near)automatic wins:

Joseph - 27
Cooney - 35
Gbinije - 37
Roberson - 35
Coleman - 28

Richardson - 21
Lydon - 17

Obokoh gets in if we're in bad foul trouble up front.

I am interested to see how Hopkins manages playing time in his 9 games as head coach. Will he keep as close to Boeheim's established habits, or will he go by what he thinks is best...or are those things one and the same?

If he was just coaching a game or 2, I would think the former would be a lock. I imagine it would be very difficult to try to do what another coach would do for 9 games though...that's a long time and big chunk of the season.

Donna reported KJO is a underated shooter and has been shooting well in practice, and is showing more courage attacking the lane. I am guessing that is compared to last year.

A big key to Malachi or Lydon getting more then 8-12 minutes could be making plays in the lane. Scoring 15 feet and in or getting assists off the dribble in the lane. Otherwise teams are going to play them real tight.
You can't project if malachi will shoot over his man well as a fresh, or Lydon will get alot of rollout looks as freshmen. Its one of those things where you just need to roll the ball out and see. One observation about Lydons high school clips he brings the ball down to waist level before he shoots his three. Malachi may be able to shoot alittle more around chest level on some releases.

Another good thing is we can play Lydon at SF as well with Roberson giving him a inch or two height advantage.We could be looking at a lineup where Lydon is better on the floor with Roberson at the other forward spot or where Malachi is better on the floor with Gbinije as the other forward.

Maybe Howard's playmaking in the lane is a better option for 5-6 minutes a game if Lydon and Malachi have a tough time finding outside looks and helping create offense in the lane. Then we will see Gbinije eat more minutes at SF, and use Howard to aid the short passing game in and out of the lane.

Multi-dimentionality is so key at this level of basketball. Gbinije has it and imo Kaleb is a early leader for second on the team in that department.

Last edited:
Howard gets more minutes than KJ2.

DC knees last 15.5 games.

Orange get less than 18 wins. (Sorry, it's just a WAG, I hope I'm wrong, I need to see this team play. Too many question marks).

Last edited:
I thought I would eventually get used to seeing KJ or KJO and not thinking about Kris Joseph. I thought wrong. I saw "KJ" in this thread and thought about Kris Joseph multiple times...

Howard gets more minutes than KJ2.

DC knees last 15.5 games.

Orange get less than 18 wins. (Sorry, it's just a WAG, I hope I'm wrong, I need to see this team play. Too many question marks).
I'm predicting you'll post a dire forecast about DC2's basketball future at least a dozen more times before the season begins.

Last edited:
WAG

(abbv: wives and girlfriends)

A selection of overpublicised, vacuous anorexics found lurking at football matches, easily distinguised by their orange skin tone and high body plastic index, ostensibly present for the purpose of pleasuring the England football team, but in reality with the intention of being photographed obtaining fashion advice from chief WAG Mrs. Beckham in the hope that this will lead to a future appearance on "celebrity love island".

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=WAG

I'm predicting you'll post a dire forecast about DC2's basketball future at least a dozen more times before the season begins.

So what is your WAG for DC2? Do you have any guts to make a real prediction?

So what is your WAG for DC2? Do you have any guts to make a real prediction?
I had no idea it required guts to make an anonymous prediction on a message board. But since you asked, I predict DC2 plays about 20 mpg against the cupcakes and around 30 mpg in more competitive situations. I also predict he will remain healthy throughout and average about 12 ppg and 9 rpg.

I had no idea it required guts to make an anonymous prediction on a message board. But since you asked, I predict DC2 plays about 20 mpg against the cupcakes and around 30 mpg in more competitive situations. I also predict he will remain healthy throughout and average about 12 ppg and 9 rpg.

Not exactly wild but I'll take it. We shall see. I hope I'm wrong but he's sure a big kid and that's a lot stress on torn meniscuses.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom