Watch Mark Coyle's Introductory Press Conference Live at 10 a.m. | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Watch Mark Coyle's Introductory Press Conference Live at 10 a.m.

Syracuse, N.Y. — New Syracuse University athletic director Mark Coyle held his introductory press conference this morning at Manley Field House.

Here's a sampling of highlights from what he said:

• He made an inquiry into the AD job as soon as he heard it was open.
  • Syracuse athletes will get their degrees and they are going to win championships.
  • While he respects his SU predecessors, he's his own person.
  • He's already reached out to all the Syracuse head coaches.
  • His expectations for football are to compete at a high level, which means competing for ACC titles and go to special bowl games.
  • His first priority on the job is to do a lot of listening and learning.
  • He believes in "living truth,'' or being honest and forthright about job issues, particularly those posed by the current NCAA investigation.
  • He wants to focus his attention on all sports and help all the school's athletes compete at the highest level.
  • He believes in scheduling football games in a way that gives Syracuse a chance to compete for postseason success.
  • He thinks the Carrier Dome has a special meaning that can be a recruiting tool.
  • He said the turf in the Carrier Dome will remain green.
  • He's excited to work with Syracuse men's basketball coach Jim Boeheim.
  • He did have some conversations about Boeheim and plan to have more conversations about his successor.

Yes, and yes.
I mean...is he really rocking makeup? I don't live in the area so, does he do on camera work, or something? Because it looks like he's got a pound of makeup. And lipstick.

Switched at birth?

-500a3eedbf0813c5.jpg

michael1.jpg

jekelish said:
Two questions about this picture... 1) Is that Bud in the lower right 2) and is he wearing makeup? 612996481000304640

3) And what exactly is he doing to Mink?

Impressed not only with Coyle, but Ballentine as well.

Interesting to hear about the long list of impressive AD's showing interest.

TGC is strong.

I watched part of the conference, will watch the rest later.

From what I saw, he seems thoughtful, prudent and smart. Very positive, excellent communications skills, should be able to connect with the people he needs to work with and get things done.

I can see why the committee thought he was a fit culturally with CNY. Dr Gross is a good guy, and has a lot of good qualities, but culturally, he never really fit in and I think his lack of success in fund raising, and getting attendance and enthusiasm up was due in part to this. From the day he was introduced, when he did not wear a suit, had no tie and left his shirt partially unbuttoned, it was evident he was not like a lot of people from this area.

I liked his answers to the questions posed (some of the questions were really terrible; the Syracuse media needs to do a better job here; after all, they had months to come up with questions). Good to see someone in his position answer questions directly, and not prattle on and on needlessly for no apparent reason.

Does anyone know how many tubas were in the Boise State marching band? ;) Looks promising...

3996518530_5a52985ea9.jpg

From what I saw, he seems thoughtful, prudent and smart. Very positive, excellent communications skills, should be able to connect with the people he needs to work with and get things done.

I can see why the committee thought he was a fit culturally with CNY. Dr Gross is a good guy, and has a lot of good qualities, but culturally, he never really fit in and I think his lack of success in fund raising, and getting attendance and enthusiasm up was due in part to this. From the day he was introduced, when he did not wear a suit, had no tie and left his shirt partially unbuttoned, it was evident he was not like a lot of people from this area.

I liked his answers to the questions posed (some of the questions were really terrible; the Syracuse media needs to do a better job here; after all, they had months to come up with questions). Good to see someone in his position answer questions directly, and not prattle on and on needlessly for no apparent reason.

Does anyone know how many tubas were in the Boise State marching band? ;) Looks promising...

Doc Gross always felt like one of those recruits who's like, "Syracuse? I love New York City!" and doesn't realize that it's four hours away and up in the country.

Spot on about the bad questions Tom. Mark Larson's initial question about who he relates too Gross or Jake, was fairly horrible. However, the scheduling questions for football allowed for a strong answer from Coyle about needing to set yourself up for success, and it was interesting to hear him answer the question about Hopkins. Very diplomatically but allowed for a lot of interesting options.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom