Watch: Terrel Hunt punch Video | Syracusefan.com

Watch: Terrel Hunt punch Video

The more and more you watch this, this was a nasty late hit by the Nova defender. Thunt needs to learn to cool his anger, but the more I watch this, the more I can understand why Terrel was so angry.

https://vine.co/v/OBZntxbLhAu
It was helmet-to-helmet to the back of the head of a guy who was basically already down. The guy did way worse to Terrel than Terrel did to him.

It wasn't the right thing to do, and the ejection was justified, but I probably would have reacted the same way.

Last edited:
The ref missed the helmet to helmet contact but caught the pathetic retaliation IMO. Pretty Hard to hurt a guy slapping his face mask with a bare hand

I'll just say it this way. If an SU player made that hit and was called for a personal foul, this board would explode.

Hits like that happen all the time. Yeah, maybe they could give him 15, but not calling anything didn't surprise me.

That said, the punch was nothing, and time served should suffice. If the ACC is going to make a ruling, they should have to do so quickly. Everyone needs to move on.

I'll just say it this way. If an SU player made that hit and was called for a personal foul, this board would explode.

Hits like that happen all the time. Yeah, maybe they could give him 15, but not calling anything didn't surprise me.

That said, the punch was nothing, and time served should suffice. If the ACC is going to make a ruling, they should have to do so quickly. Everyone needs to move on.

Meh - I disagree. Don't think the board would explode. One or two would argue probably, but I think most people would understand that when you hit someone late and then make an extra effort to try and rip a helmet off a kid, you generally should be penalized.

It was a bang bang play, coulda gone either way. Its never the 1st hit they see, its always the retaliation. He needs to keep his cool. Period.

He was pissed because he was also the victim of a ridiculously late hate a few plays before (the ref did call Nova for it though).

SUFan44 said:
Meh - I disagree. Don't think the board would explode. One or two would argue probably, but I think most people would understand that when you hit someone late and then make an extra effort to try and rip a helmet off a kid, you generally should be penalized.

I'll admit, when he reached in and tried to pull his heart out and eat it, that was excessive.

That's about how I feel about this ripping the helmet off Hunt talk. Glad people look after our guy but yeesh. I think I read yesterday that it was a leave your feet hit. If that's a leave your feet hit then all diving should be banned.

Let's just hope that continues to not be a penalty given the way our kids are coached to fly to the ball. That exact play can happen about 5 times a game and we don't need to hand out first downs.

CIL said:
He was pissed because he was also the victim of a ridiculously late hate a few plays before (the ref did call Nova for it though).

And I think that one was worse. This was just icing because of the way it ended up hitting his neck. He was frustrated. It won't happen again, I believe that, although you know teams are going to be coached to push the envelope.

I'll admit, when he reached in and tried to pull his heart out and eat it, that was excessive.

That's about how I feel about this ripping the helmet off Hunt talk. Glad people look after our guy but yeesh. I think I read yesterday that it was a leave your feet hit. If that's a leave your feet hit then all diving should be banned.

Let's just hope that continues to not be a penalty given the way our kids are coached to fly to the ball. That exact play can happen about 5 times a game and we don't need to hand out first downs.

Never said it should have been a penalty. But if it was called a penalty on SU and reasonable fans saw the same replay, I don't think most of us would "explode".

Yeah, I think some homerism is showing.

If nothing as called on Hunt or simply unsportsmanlike conduct, no one would've cared the next day. This is football, not hoops.

I didn't think it looked like a late hit. But it did look like he tried to rip T Hunt's face off. He still must keep his cool.

I still don't see helmet to helmet plus it was bang bang. I see shoulder and upper arm hit Hunt. I think the right call was made all around even if it was a half ass punch. Can't start asking refs to assess the degree of a pinch. A punch is a punch.

I still don't see helmet to helmet plus it was bang bang. I see shoulder and upper arm hit Hunt. I think the right call was made all around even if it was a half ass punch. Can't start asking refs to assess the degree of a pinch. A punch is a punch.

Exactly. You can't throw a punch, he threw a punch and was ejected. Pretty simple stuff. It doesn't matter if it's football and not some other sport, those are the rules. The ruling by the refs was exactly the way they are supposed to rule.

cliftonparksufan said:
Are you saying he goosed him also.

Lol. Damn phone.

In a perfect world T-Hunt pops up immediately after the tackle from behind where his helmet was nearly ripped off. He looks for an official, and he respectfully and calmly says to the official something like: I realize you didn't see it, but the Nova player who just tackled me grabbed the back of my helmet and nearly ripped my helmet off my head. That was dangerous. I want you to know so you can be on the lookout, and I also want the Nova player to know you are on the lookout so maybe he won't try it again. Thanks.

Then T-Hunt moves on. Next play.

That is probably asking way too much of anyone let alone a college student playing in front of 40K home fans who is filled with adrenaline and just had his head and neck attacked. However, if T-Hunt can let it go and avoid reacting against the other player, even though it's difficult he must do that, he then has to assume that the ref didn't see what the Nova player did. If there is some kind of rule against players talking to officials in college football in a situation like that (I have no idea if such a rule exists but it might) then T-Hunt needs to communicate with the coaches what happened (they probably saw it anyway) and let them talk to the officials, and then T-Hunt moves on to the next play.

Avoid reacting to opposing players, assume the officials didn't see what happened, respectfully inform the officials- Next play. Every play is a chance to shine.

And I think that one was worse. This was just icing because of the way it ended up hitting his neck. He was frustrated. It won't happen again, I believe that, although you know teams are going to be coached to push the envelope.

I agree with this. Floyd Little was quoted in the P-S as saying that Hunt was upset by the roughing-the-passer call a few plays earlier, as well as by what he thought was a head shot on his final play.

It better not happen again, because if it does, Hunt can be suspended for the remainder of the season. You have to think that other teams are going to try to provoke him, so I hope he can keep his cool.

I'm sure BC will be much more polite when both teams are fighting for bowl eligibility in November.

Happened well within sight of Row U, Section 301. Hunt deserved to be thrown out. No hypotheticals, no justifications, no explanations. He threw a punch and got the expected punishment.

I agree with this. Floyd Little was quoted in the P-S as saying that Hunt was upset by the roughing-the-passer call a few plays earlier, as well as by what he thought was a head shot on his final play.

It better not happen again, because if it does, Hunt can be suspended for the remainder of the season. You have to think that other teams are going to try to provoke him, so I hope he can keep his cool.
That's BS. The refs need to see that happening , intentionally provoking an important player on the other team. If that's legal maybe SU should target players to try to get ejected.

I still can't believe people are still defending Hunt as it was a fist and look at the 'nova's player head when he was punched. It was a harder punch that some here want us to believe.

Plays like what the 'nova player did happens during the games and all games more than the homers think. The only thing that separates this play from others is that Hunt threw the punch, got caught and was rightly ejected for this.

I don't care that he get hit late a few plays earlier as the refs punished the 'nova player with a flag. I refuse to defend a punch just because he was a Syracuse player,it has no business being a part of great college game,which this was .

I just can't see why the ACC looks the other way on a penalty ejection if it is in their rulebook. I bet you Shafer is more pissed off behind the scenes than what was said in his presser.

I can remember when a scuffle broke out between two S.U. PLAYERS in summer work outs before preseason camp when S.S. was D.C. when no punches were thrown and wanted to make it clear that it would not happen again.