Waters chat from today... | Syracusefan.com

Waters chat from today...

pearl31

in cahoots
Can someone post highlights or summarize?

thanks!

Mike Waters | mwaters@syracuse.com2 hours ago

@Igorthefool

His American host dad says that he expects Moustapha to be ready to go once school starts.

I can tell you this, it's not about grades. It's the complicated process of the NCAA verifying the transcripts for these kids who come from overseas, particularly Africa. Sometimes their US schools put them in a grade because they're lacking in English or whatever, but the NCAA sees the transcript and says they should've been in a higher grade. It's not fair to the kids.

Oh good lord. The NCAA is trying to screw Diagne the same way they did Obokoh!

Mike Waters | mwaters@syracuse.com2 hours ago

@Igorthefool

His American host dad says that he expects Moustapha to be ready to go once school starts.

I can tell you this, it's not about grades. It's the complicated process of the NCAA verifying the transcripts for these kids who come from overseas, particularly Africa. Sometimes their US schools put them in a grade because they're lacking in English or whatever, but the NCAA sees the transcript and says they should've been in a higher grade. It's not fair to the kids.

Oh good lord. The NCAA is trying to screw Diagne the same way they did Obokoh!

and bingo was his name

and bingo was his name

Yeah, it sounds like they're trying to take away a year of eligibility. That would suck beyond belief but would be preferable to him being a non-qualifier obviously.

Hey, NCAA:

tumblr_na26cmThTz1s4e114o1_400.gif

Yeah, it sounds like they're trying to take away a year of eligibility. That would suck beyond belief but would be preferable to him being a non-qualifier obviously.

Why do they lose eligibility? Where is the logic in it? Taking a year away makes no sense to me. In general its because they are saying the player basically retook a year of highschool after coming over. These are generally not native english speaking kids so they likely need that year. Not to mention american players have been prepping with no lost eligibility for ages up on ages. Now they reclassify backwards when ever they feel like it and never a word from the NCAA. It really is a horrible injustice to the kids.

Hey, NCAA:

tumblr_na26cmThTz1s4e114o1_400.gif

They make the simple appear absurd, and the absurd to be a simple matter of course. It's sophistry at it's finest, or sorcery, either one. Saying that because he is from Africa as a reason that it is exceptionally difficult to determine his formal eduction level, is like saying you would be good at foreign affairs with Russia because you can see the country across the ocean from your deck. What !?!? Did he not test in NJ? Did he not take the state mandated standardized testing? Did he not take and pass the college entrance exams? What ?!?

- Giles ain't coming

-Daigne's issues are due to transcripts

-Lydon and Richardson are the two freshmen most likely to contribue

-Coleman is the key for next season

I wonder what the problems with his transcripts are, Pope John is a terrific school, I have a few friends that went there.

I wonder what the problems with his transcripts are, Pope John is a terrific school, I have a few friends that went there.

Bet the issue isn't with Pope John school nor their classes but with what grade he was put into after leaving Africa. He was 17 and entered as a sophomore which was appropriate considering his background in English. He was an ESL student. Common sense isn't used to make NCAA decisions . I bet they are focusing on his age which is probably 20 now. You'd think these issues would be decided before a young man comes to the US to attend high school and not after they commit to a college.

Why do they lose eligibility? Where is the logic in it? Taking a year away makes no sense to me. In general its because they are saying the player basically retook a year of highschool after coming over. These are generally not native english speaking kids so they likely need that year. Not to mention american players have been prepping with no lost eligibility for ages up on ages. Now they reclassify backwards when ever they feel like it and never a word from the NCAA. It really is a horrible injustice to the kids.

Appears the NCAA has a bugger up it's butt for SU.

Hmm. How long did it take the NCAA to clear Roberson for play? And he was from the "states." Oh Lord

He made reference to "if" Coleman comes back for a fifth year. I could see dc deciding it's time to start making money

Can someone explain how chris weinke can win the heisman at 27 after playing pro baseball but a 20 year old emigrant from africa is somehow disqualified? Even if he has less eligibility, why cant he play right away and why is he not on campus? Something is goint on.

My nephew, an American student, was held back a year in kindergarten due to being small and having a later birth date. Then he became a hockey player. He went to boarding school in high school, as all of the college hockey players come out of the Canadian Jrs or the US prep schools. All prep schools hold the hockey players back a year because of the physical nature of the game. This was a nephew who could have gone to Harvard, so absolutely no valid academic reasons for this. By the time he started college as a Division 1 hockey player he was almost 20 years old. This was the standard for all hockey players. They are mostly 24 when they graduate from college. So how does the NCAA consider ice hockey and basketball so differently? Both under their jurisdiction. Makes no sense..

My take from the article is center is going to be our biggest problem. I think DC knees will not be ready. So then we have to depend on Diagne. But Diagne is having paperwork issues. If we are just left with Obokoh oh no! Maybe the kid has improved but we will definitely need another center. Does anyone know if Jones is still visiting Syracuse?

Is there some kind of NCAA toll we can pay so they don't treat Syracuse so badly?

On Jones I'm going to say no if Mike Waters is correct on what he said yesterday -

derekbrower20 hours ago

Mike - What's your take on why SU is supposedly showing serious interest in Brodricks Jones? Given the scholarship limitations, why are they entertaining someone who is *maybe* a 3-star recruit. (Yes, I know one service has him at 4-stars, but most seem to have him as a 2 or 3 star recruit).

Mike Waters | mwaters@syracuse.com20 hours ago

@derekbrower

A kid expresses interest. You almost have to check him out. You talk to his coaches, etc.

I'd be stunned if it goes any further than that. Memphis, Providence and UTEP have much greater need for him.

Is there still a requirement that you complete the core requirements (16 core courses) within four years/ 8 semesters of entering ninth grade? Maybe Diagne is having trouble showing completion of some of the core courses on that timeline because they either were taken or not while he was still going to school in his home country. If this is still a requirement; its pretty easy to see how putting him in the wrong class when he arrived here, if he had already completed a certain number of years of high school, might have put him in a position of not being able to complete the core requirements within the required four years.

If this is the rule that is causing him and Chino problems it would not impact kids held back before entering ninth grade or attending prep school after graduating (completing the core courses).

I guess the NCAA uses your ability to complete the 16 core courses in four years as a proxy for predicting whether you will be able to complete college coursework at a pace that will allow you to stay on pace required to maintain your eligibility while enrolled. For instance if you it took you 16 years from the time you entered 9th grade to complete the 16 core courses, it might be because completing more than one course per year was too rigorous an academic pace and would suggest you probably don't belong in college.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom