Way-too-early 2016 college lacrosse lookahead (PS) | Syracusefan.com

Way-too-early 2016 college lacrosse lookahead (PS)

The Baltimore Sun did a similar preview but this one is light years better in substance and rankings. The Sun preview had Syracuse at #11 which is laughable considering some of the teams they had in front of them and the fact that Syracuse brings in 4 UA AA next year the most of any team.

The Baltimore Sun did a similar preview but this one is light years better in substance and rankings. The Sun preview had Syracuse at #11 which is laughable considering some of the teams they had in front of them and the fact that Syracuse brings in 4 UA AA next year the most of any team.

Hopefully Stevens finishes it up this week, and I'll keep updating the thread.

Are you ready to tackle next year's depth chart, or are you still drinking decompressing? ;)

Hopefully Stevens finishes it up this week, and I'll keep updating the thread.

Are you ready to tackle next year's depth chart, or are you still drinking decompressing? ;)

LOL I was able to keep the drinking mostly in check but that Sunday was a rough rough day. I am going to put something out probably tomorrow about next year via Otto's Grove. I also have a post looking back at this year that should be out today.

Who are the 4 UA AAs?

Who are the 4 UA AAs?

Extreme stole my thunder but as he noted the two Defensive long poles and Middie Romano and Attack Solomon. All four could play next year I expect Bomberry and Mellen to absolutely play. Solomon might need a year to get physically prepared for Div 1 but his point totals were absurd in high school. Romano could make a run at some PT but SU has a ton of young middies who will be looking for PT, hes going to need to stand out especially with Simmons, Barber, Westin, Dejoe, and McGinley (probably) ahead of him.

Extreme stole my thunder but as he noted the two Defensive long poles and Middie Romano and Attack Solomon. All four could play next year I expect Bomberry and Mellen to absolutely play. Solomon might need a year to get physically prepared for Div 1 but his point totals were absurd in high school. Romano could make a run at some PT but SU has a ton of young middies who will be looking for PT, hes going to need to stand out especially with Simmons, Barber, Westin, Dejoe, and McGinley (probably) ahead of him.

Thanks. I was telling my friend at the final four this weekend that despite the fact that we were a Senior heavy team it feels as if there were some good components already on campus. They looked good in some of the blowouts. I actually think (hope) that Evans will fit in better at Attack. Barber seems to be more comfortable down there as well. Maybe Lane gets another year to improve and find a place on the field. I wonder where the coaches will put him. Donahue coming back also helps out significantly.

I think Barber goes to attack unless one of the youngsters really shines.

Thanks. I was telling my friend at the final four this weekend that despite the fact that we were a Senior heavy team it feels as if there were some good components already on campus. They looked good in some of the blowouts. I actually think (hope) that Evans will fit in better at Attack. Barber seems to be more comfortable down there as well. Maybe Lane gets another year to improve and find a place on the field. I wonder where the coaches will put him. Donahue coming back also helps out significantly.

Donahue and Evans will be at attack. I would be shocked if Barber played attack, when you graduate the entire starting midfield you need to have some upper level experience there and thats exactly what Barber brings. The third attack spot is pretty open in my mind SU could really use a feeder there but not sure that type of person is on the roster. Forkin is probably the closest option. Thorpe is the wild card for me and if he shows a lot he could push for that third spot or Evans spot if he struggles again. I am pretty high on Solomon but its a pretty big jump from highschool ball to the highest level of Div 1. Hes going to have an adjustment period for sure, fall ball could be that time but hes going to need to show Desko a lot to sniff time. I think Shewell is probably in the same boat, with so many guys potentially ahead of him he looks like a red shirt. Voight has the most experience coming of that Prep year. Put him with Thorpe as a wild card.

I think Lane showed a little bit this year in garbage time but I think most people are just in love with his size and are over looking the fact that he is still a huge project. Him playing on that third mid line was not a good decision. He looked lost out there and wasn't a threat at all. Why they put him up top made zero sense as I am more of dodging threat then he is right now. Though they did the same thing last year with Derek Maltz so make that 2 decisions that made zero sense. Lane is an attackmen in my mind who needs at least another year of coaching before I think hes even a remote threat for consistent PT. If he makes enough progress I could see him getting some run on EMO but thats about it.

I think Barber goes to attack unless one of the youngsters really shines.

I don't see Barber playing attack next year unless Evans is hurt or is a complete disaster. The entire first midfield is gone and the second line was underwhelming at best and thats without considering that Evans is almost assured to move to attack. It would also creat a logjam of attackmen in guys like Forkin, Desko, Solomon, Thorpe, who are better options to get PT there especially when you consider Donahue will be gone the year after.

Barber will take over Galasso's spot as the #1 midfielder. I would be shocked if he was moved to attack.

Say what you will about the syracuse.com - and trust me I have at times - but Patrick Stevens is fantastic imho. The guy does his research.

I think Lane showed a little bit this year in garbage time but I think most people are just in love with his size and are over looking the fact that he is still a huge project. Him playing on that third mid line was not a good decision. He looked lost out there and wasn't a threat at all. Why they put him up top made zero sense as I am more of dodging threat then he is right now. Though they did the same thing last year with Derek Maltz so make that 2 decisions that made zero sense. Lane is an attackmen in my mind who needs at least another year of coaching before I think hes even a remote threat for consistent PT. If he makes enough progress I could see him getting some run on EMO but thats about it.

The coaches seem to really want to find a place for him. Maybe it is his size that is the allure. However, size is something that you can't coach. We don't really see what Lane does in practice. In addition to the mentioned role on the third midfield line, I was very surprised to see him also in some man up situations. I hope he hits the weight

It is a shame that McGinley got into that Marshall street altercation. He showed some promise on at midfield when he came in early in the season.

I think that you are wrong on Barber. Attack is where he fits best. This was likely the same for Galasso but he was there by necessity. Maybe the same thing will happen with Barber. I would prefer to have him down at attack. Although maybe that was our problem this year too much of an attack heavy offense without midfield depth.

I am still not thinking straight:)

I think Lane was on the man up because Schoonie was hurt and Desko said he had provided some shooting ability in practice. Unfortunatley he was up top just kind of passing the ball around and was zero threat to do much of anything. Lane showed some promise in garbage time and even had a nice goal while on the run. Still theres a ton of talent ahead of him and I don't see a fit for him right now as far as getting consistent PT. He is not a midfielder in my mind and if you watched him in the Marist game he actually got stripped from behind with a guy going over his back despite the fact he is 6'7. At this point hes going to be just a redshirt soph, maybe with another year of coaching and practicing at the D1 level he can make another step forward.

As for Barber I dont disagree that his best spot is probably attack but with the entire first line gone to gradution you cant devistate the second mid line by moving 2/3rds of it to attack. Evans is clearly going to be moved and with Donahue a lock to never leave the field theres only one starting spot up for grabs. With guys like Forkin, Thorpe, Voight, Solomon, waiting in the wings as pure attackmen I can't see any scenario where Barber is moved to attack. Barber at midfield brings a Sr leader to a position that will breaking all new starters and possibly even a redshirt or true frosh. Had Galasso or another guy returned for a year the Barber move might be a possiblity but with SU losing so much senior leadership they cant afford to move Barber.

I think Lane was on the man up because Schoonie was hurt and Desko said he had provided some shooting ability in practice. Unfortunatley he was up top just kind of passing the ball around and was zero threat to do much of anything. Lane showed some promise in garbage time and even had a nice goal while on the run. Still theres a ton of talent ahead of him and I don't see a fit for him right now as far as getting consistent PT. He is not a midfielder in my mind and if you watched him in the Marist game he actually got stripped from behind with a guy going over his back despite the fact he is 6'7. At this point hes going to be just a redshirt soph, maybe with another year of coaching and practicing at the D1 level he can make another step forward.
It seems as if they took a flyer on Lane, hope he would turn into (or they could turn him into) another Myles Jones.

In a strange way the team was so tight against Hopkins. It was like back in the days when the consecutive final four streak was active. They didn't really play their best game. The ACC tournament kind of took a lot out of them. Not to make excuses.

Since there is so much unknown this season wouldn't it be something if they won the national title next May?

Now including teams 10-6.

No. 6 SYRACUSE (13-3 in 2015)
Last seen: Failing to cover up its defensive liabilities in a 16-15 loss to Johns Hopkins in the NCAA quarterfinals.

Senior starts lost: 107 of 160 (66.9 percent)

Senior scoring departing: 230 of 378 points (60.8 percent)

150ish-word preview: Every goal the Orange gave up in the quarterfinals placed it one step closer to having a championship window close, or so it seemed. Syracuse's 2015 team had answers everywhere on offense. In 2016? That's to be determined.

There isn't an easy way to replace Kevin Rice or Randy Staats or Nicky Galasso, but few programs are as well-equipped to do so as Syracuse. The Orange almost always figures out a way to stitch together offense, and there should probably be an assumption it does so again next year. It might not happen immediately, but scoring isn't going to be a long-term question.

But defensively? That's another issue entirely. Syracuse yielded a dozen goals in five of its last nine games, and it is at that end of the field the Orange must improve if it is to harbor realistic hopes of winning its first national title since 2009. The return of faceoff ace Ben Williams will provide some wiggle room next year, and as supporting cast for attackman Dylan Donahue will probably emerge. But it will only matter so much if things aren't tightened on defense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom