Wayne Williams, work ethic doesn't yet match physical gifts | Syracusefan.com

Wayne Williams, work ethic doesn't yet match physical gifts

A kid like this will end up flourishing with structure. Glad he's taking the lessons and using them as motivation, instead of sulking--great sign.

That is a really good article with great honesty from the coaches. Hopefully the kid will be able to maintain his work ethic over the summer when the coaches aren't there to provide the same structure he has now. Hopefully some of the veterans can take him under their wing. He doesn't have much time, like the freshman, to get it figured out.

If you ask me, SU need not participate in these kinds of stories. WW is a project. Every ounce of energy with this kid should be spent getting him better and not yacking it up with the media.

If you ask me, SU need not participate in these kinds of stories. WW is a project. Every ounce of energy with this kid should be spent getting him better and not yacking it up with the media.
Really? The coaches have plenty of time for media right now. Their time with the players is limited by the NCAA and their not game planning, so outside of practice and watching practice tape, their time is quite free. This is exactly what the coaches should be doing. Honest feedback from the coaches is exactly what the fanbase wants. If you think our coaches talk to the media too much, you should see how much coaches from SEC schools interact with the media.

i find it hard to believe a motivated and dedicated kid couldnt get into playing shape by sept 20th. thats 5 months from now.

i find it hard to believe a motivated and dedicated kid couldnt get into playing shape by sept 20th. thats 5 months from now.
that's what baffles me about this 30 play thing. I mean in 5 months the most they are hoping for is 30 plays a game? With all these tv time outs???

Guys this is pure motivation. Lets hope that Wayne works hard and lives up to his potential. He has NFL talent if he decides to make the commitment

SU's version of Tommy Boy is all I have in my head right now every time I read a quote about Mr. Williams. Nice guy and people seem to like him with tons of potential but fat guy in a little coat is what I read. Don't waste your shot here Wayne and talk to Coleman when you get a chance.

If we get 30 really good first and second down plays from Wayne this year, i'd take it.

I saw the kid once do that backflip back when he was in high school - I couldn't believe my eyes - he would have been such an awesome player by now if he had made it as a freshman. We really need him to round out the defense this year. I agree with you - 30 plays is better than none.

I would expect by the middle of the season it will be more like 50-60 plays. Peer pressure by teammates can do a lot to motivate a young person.

that's what baffles me about this 30 play thing. I mean in 5 months the most they are hoping for is 30 plays a game? With all these tv time outs???

My guess is its one of a couple of things, or a combination of them.

1. Wayne is that out of shape for D1 football
2. Wayne's head is too big, and they don't want it any bigger, they want him humbled
3. Some of the other guys on the team are going to be good enough to demand snaps, regardless of what Wayne does.
4. The staff is going off what they see now, and any bonus by the time the end of the summer rolls around is great.
5. They can kick his butt now, but over the summer he is out of their grasp, for a kid who is clearly undisciplined at this point of his life, can they count on him to go as had as possible when they aren't around to force it?

It's mentioned in the article, it's all on him(Wayne) and I think the staff is hedging their bets with just what kind of shape he will stay in over the summer. He's never had to work before in his life, he just has always been more athletic than the guys he's going against. Now that he needs to the question is there if he will. We as fans can only hope this is the case.

Wayne is one of the most charismatic young men I have ever met. My hope for him is that he rid himself of that place in his head that is holding back from being the great leader he can be. It's in him, he just needs to clear the clutter and believe in himself and his power to be the man.

I would love to see a strong mentor help steer Wayne.

Kayton Samuels and Jalen Harvey are on the way in as well. Maybe one of them can play as a true Frosh.

I was thinking about his comment about playing only 1st and second down. Maybe it has to do with WW ability to pass rush on 3rd down. Maybe he holds his gap well, but cant get after the QB. I'd be ok with that for now. Itll be a change from bromley and art jones, who were surprisningly good at getting the QB

I think that Wayne is going to do a great job this summer come to camp in the best shape of his life and be strong in the rotation. My sense is he gets it