We are currently totally irrelevant | Syracusefan.com

We are currently totally irrelevant

DonLightfoot

All Conference
It’s really hard for me to say that. No team in the Country would be scared to play us right now. Media exposure is virtually non existent (except locally I suppose). I got the impression ESPN sent their “JV” production crew to Chapel Hill last night. Don’t know if it was just me, but it seemed there were some microphone problems with the announcers as I had a hard time understanding and hearing them. Halftime at the studio they didn’t even discuss the game. They talked about that Creighton kid who got hurt, showed highlights of other games and previewed the Kansas game. Nothing about SU/UNC.

In the majority of cases our kids are putting forward their best effort. We all knew we could not match up with the size, strength and talent of NC. In the prediction thread I said we would lose 96-68 so we did better than I expected. Based on our talent, we are what we are. I think the coaches could do some “tweaking” to make things a little better, but they seem to be too stubborn to consider options. Of course, there aren’t a lot of options to consider.

I will continue to support and be optimistic about our program as I have for 35 years. Furthermore, we will get back to those glory times, but it will be a few years considering what I read from you guys about our upcoming recruiting. Being an old dude I hope I’m still around to see it. Here’s hoping we can at least get a few quality wins before the end of the year.

Yeah, we suck right now so we're not going to get a lot of attention. It's happened before and not all that long ago. If you're suggesting this is the beginning of the end, then you probably need to just take a deep breath and step back for some perspective.

Also, the game last night was the Big Monday game. We didn't get the 'JV' crew.

It’s really hard for me to say that. No team in the Country would be scared to play us right now. Media exposure is virtually non existent (except locally I suppose). I got the impression ESPN sent their “JV” production crew to Chapel Hill last night. Don’t know if it was just me, but it seemed there were some microphone problems with the announcers as I had a hard time understanding and hearing them. Halftime at the studio they didn’t even discuss the game. They talked about that Creighton kid who got hurt, showed highlights of other games and previewed the Kansas game. Nothing about SU/UNC.

Big Monday.

Jay Bilas and Sean McDonough.

Yup, ESPN sent the scrubs. :noidea:

Your basic premise is true: we aren't relevant right now. I think you succumb to some self pity and paranoia with your comments about microphones cutting out and stuff.

Bottom line: we're very mediocre this year. It doesn't portend the end of the program. We've been to two final fours in the past 5 years, that is a pretty good spring board to get us through a rough patch. We should be concerned with finishing with a winning record this year, nothing more. I admit I would be very upset if we lose our streak of winning seasons. I do think we'll accomplish that goal.

No idea what people are talking about.

Now if you want to rip on the production crew for their constant showing of the coaches, go ahead. Bunch of amateurs working at espn these days.

I scared my kid with how many times I yelled at the TV telling them to just show the game. It was maddening!!!

Big Monday.

Jay Bilas and Sean McDonough.

Yup, ESPN sent the scrubs. :noidea:

and alison. saw a lot of tar heel bits. did she even know who carolina was playing ?

It’s really hard for me to say that. No team in the Country would be scared to play us right now. Media exposure is virtually non existent (except locally I suppose). I got the impression ESPN sent their “JV” production crew to Chapel Hill last night. Don’t know if it was just me, but it seemed there were some microphone problems with the announcers as I had a hard time understanding and hearing them.

Hi Don - I had the exact same issue with the audio. I could barely hear them. I had just set up cable at my new place yesterday so I assumed it was perhaps some other issue with my audio settings. So I checked other sporting events and did not have an issue.

I do get the Rogers Sports Pack (Canadian thing), so I thought perhaps it was an issue on Roger's end in converting the feed from ESPN to their channels.

I don't think it was intentional by any means, but it was frustrating not being able to hear a good team explain the game.

When saying "JV" I was referring to the audio and overall production, obviously not the broadcasting duo.

If you read my initial remarks I foresee getting back to glory times, certainly was not implying "beginning of the end". It is human nature for comments to be taken out of context sometimes

Yeah, we suck right now so we're not going to get a lot of attention. It's happened before and not all that long ago. If you're suggesting this is the beginning of the end, then you probably need to just take a deep breath and step back for some perspective.

Also, the game last night was the Big Monday game. We didn't get the 'JV' crew.
Hate to say it, but it doesn't seem like much will change from this year to next. In fact, it looks to get worse with the way recruiting is going (Lydon will 95% leave). This offense needs players who can break people down 1-on-1. Why last years team was dangerous with Silent G (I thought his year last year was as good as any recently in the past. As underrated as a player as I have EVER seen at Cuse) and Mali. Not many players are capable of doing that at the college level on a consistent basis (ISO play). Especially out of the gate (unless they are top 25 prospects).

Lets pray we can bring in some quality players but with the way this staff has been recruiting, it is unlikely. Especially with how poor this year has gone- Players seeing Syracuse going 15-15 (fingers crossed) is not going to entice top talent and will cause for concern for the smart players who have other options. Why its time to be worried.

Hate to say it, but it doesn't seem like much will change from this year to next. In fact, it looks to get worse with the way recruiting is going (Lydon will 95% leave). This offense needs players who can break people down 1-on-1. Why last years team was dangerous with Silent G (I thought his year last year was as good as any recently in the past. As underrated as a player as I have EVER seen at Cuse) and Mali. Not many players are capable of doing that at the college level on a consistent basis (ISO play). Especially out of the gate (unless they are top 25 prospects).

Lets pray we can bring in some quality players but with the way this staff has been recruiting, it is unlikely. Especially with how poor this year has gone- Players seeing Syracuse going 15-15 (fingers crossed) is not going to entice top talent and will cause for concern for the smart players who have other options. Why its time to be worried.

We might/probably will be worse next year, but that's not catastrophic. 2018 will basically be like pressing the 'reset' button anyway, and we have more recruits than usual who are considered locks if/when we extend offers. That means we can continue to gamble on big recruits, like we did recently and lost on, without it being as damaging if we miss.

Our facilities, coaches, conference affiliation, and fanbase will still attract high level recruits.

Do you really hate to say it. I think you kind of enjoy it in a way.

We might/probably will be worse next year, but that's not catastrophic. 2018 will basically be like pressing the 'reset' button anyway, and we have more recruits than usual who are considered locks if/when we extend offers. That means we can continue to gamble on big recruits, like we did recently and lost on, without it being as damaging if we miss.

Our facilities, coaches, conference affiliation, and fanbase will still attract high level recruits.
I hope you're right and love the optimism. Hopkins will need to get to work ASAP and hard with what he is left.

Do you really hate to say it. I think you kind of enjoy it in a way.
Ah yes. The classic bitter post at someone who is being reasonably critical and follow your argument with nothing substantial:crazy::noidea:

I hope you're right and love the optimism. Hopkins will need to get to work ASAP and hard with what he is left.

Ah yes. The classic bitter post at someone who is being reasonably critical and follow your argument with nothing substantial:crazy::noidea:

Times are tough here in CuseLand. We all need to take a step back and breath a bit. It is after all, just college hoops.

At least Townie hasn't turned his evil/sanctimonious gaze your way yet.

Times are tough here in CuseLand. We all need to take a step back and breath a bit. It is after all, just college hoops.

At least Townie hasn't turned his evil/sanctimonious gaze your way yet.
Lol- He is even in a state of confusion most likely. I agree with you. Like I said in the game thread last night- Life goes on. I will still love march madness and the craziness that comes with it whether Cuse is in the tournament or not.

That Allison ...she is a nice looking gal...really helped me get through the game last night.

94 feet with jay bilas was awful.

It's a down year. It happens. We had early departures the last 2 years and didn't do a good job of anticipating the loses & having replacements in the pipeline. Had more recruiting misses than normal. I'm more worried about the near total miss of the 2017 recruiting class turning this into a multi-year problem. Staff needs a couple of big gets in 2018 class to get back on track.

Hi Don - I had the exact same issue with the audio. I could barely hear them. I had just set up cable at my new place yesterday so I assumed it was perhaps some other issue with my audio settings. So I checked other sporting events and did not have an issue.

I do get the Rogers Sports Pack (Canadian thing), so I thought perhaps it was an issue on Roger's end in converting the feed from ESPN to their channels.

I don't think it was intentional by any means, but it was frustrating not being able to hear a good team explain the game.
This is my constant complaint with ESPN. They turn the background sounds up so much you can't hear the fing announcers! Even my wife has commented on it. It's maddening. I hate ESPN in so many ways!!

It seemed like half the game was broadcast with a split window. Why they had all those shots of Roy in the other window escapes me.

People still don't want to play us at the dome. We lost to VT at Tech and UNC at UNC. Lets not hop off the deep end just yet.

tyler roberson is 28 boards away from catching jay bilas in acc rebounds (692) . david (skywalker) thompson is next at 694.

I didn't have a problem with the broadcast nor the volume of the commentators. It was a day for Williams, obviously. Frankly, I'm glad we didn't get much 'coverage' on air. Maybe by choice by the ESPN SU execs and/or McDonough. You guys really want our struggles to be belabored on the air? Bilas could've said how atrocious we played in previous games since he did UConn, GTown, etc. How fundamentally inept we were. They could've discussed succession plan, perception of the program, etc. But, they didn't. I mean what the hell do you guys want? There isn't much to say positive right now and, fortunately, barely anything was said.

so ok for royboy and his old HS coach for 8 minutes . but frankly alison i don't give a f#$k who theo pinson thinks should take a half court shot. enuf with the tar heel luvfest already. there's another team on the court.

Last edited:
they kept talking about good ol Roy going for 800 and how that's so rare. don't think they mentioned the win total for the guy on the other bench at all (if they did, I missed it)

its a shame we sucked in so many early games this year. woulda been a real nice narrative in JB was going for 1000 opponent non-victories vs Roy and his potential upcoming sanctions. #bilastalkingpoints

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom