WE are getting outworked. | Syracusefan.com

WE are getting outworked.

syrcuse

Walk On
I'm going to stop spewing my dislike for Coach Calipari. He and his staff are out everywhere showing recruits their interest. Give a read to today's ZAGs blog. Most dislike Cal ...but he hustling constantly. Can we say the same???

Look at the 2018 and 2019 top recruits. Northeast recruits aren't even listing us. Granted, Rvals and Skou# (misspelled on purpose) are slow to update ( see Carmody). But if this program doesn't pick it up, we are headed for football-like consequences. Mediocrity here we come.

I'm going to stop spewing my dislike for Coach Calipari. He and his staff are out everywhere showing recruits their interest. Give a read to today's ZAGs blog. Most dislike Cal ...but he hustling constantly. Can we say the same???

Look at the 2018 and 2019 top recruits. Northeast recruits aren't even listing us. Granted, Rvals and Skou# (misspelled on purpose) are slow to update ( see Carmody). But if this program doesn't pick it up, we are headed for football-like consequences. Mediocrity here we come.
We have just gone to two final fours in four years. Our last two classes will have 4 guys drafted in the first round. Mali and Lydon from last year and TT and Battle from this year. We are in a rough spot but the sky isn't falling.

We have just gone to two final fours in four years. Our last two classes will have 4 guys drafted in the first round. Mali and Lydon from last year and TT and Battle from this year. We are in a rough spot but the sky isn't falling.
Battle and Thompson late, were MAJOR recruiting wins!!!! Cudos for those 2 hits. God only knows where we'd be without them. Although they are on the roster, that is past recruiting now. Yes, plenty of eligibility left, but a Mali-like exit can happen at any time. Roster spots are open now.

Not to be confrontational ..but...this particular year REQUIRED additional work due to the # of slots open. Missing on this year puts additional needs on next year and the next, etc. In my opinion we are falling behind. I just don't hear much about Coach B. or Hop hammering the recruiting trail. Coach Cal could sit back and get 2-3 guys every year on his rep. He's not satisfied with that. He's bringing in 5 studs a year. He also could be sitting home enjoying what he has. However, I see he's chasing the underclassmen pretty hard as well. NY and NJ are loaded with big time underclassmen. Again, in my opinion, it appears everyone but SU is putting in the required time to land these younger guys in our primary recruiting areas

I understand the Final fours. That does not preclude the need to keep the arms race going. The minute you sleep or rest, someone else is fighting to take your spot.
On the 4 1st rounders you mention, love 'em all. However, some still have work to do.

Make no mistake, I love the school and program. I just don't want a trend to "good enough" to happen.

SU can have only 2 coaches on the road recruiting. I think it stays this way until the end of May 2017. This has really hampered up since the sanctions took place. We are limited to scout a limited amount of players. What makes it worse is that we still have to recruit for 2017 and not able to push for the class of 2018.

I think where the staff has fallen down is in identifying and locking up the under the radar kids. Everyone is chasing the top kids, and there might be a certain amount of luck there in terms of where they live, do they like our style, do they not care about weather, who do their parents like, are they willing to put up with a cranky coach, etc. Strategically, I am all in in chasing the highly ranked kids, but you can't have your program dependent on landing three or four of them in a given year when your logo isn't UK. Heck, we couldn't even close on the one we were all in with for over two years. We have an empty house, there just isn't any excuse that the staff didn't find two or three under the radar kids and lock em up as the foundation of the class. Where are the MCW's Andy's, and AO's of this world in our class ? Some of those kids are out there and would have loved if a program such as ours showed em some love.

Louisville coaches aren't traveling at all and are still locking up recruits.

I like our assistants, but we're sending Red to targeted recruit events and he's competing with other schools' head coaches. Just sayin'.

Louisville coaches aren't traveling at all and are still locking up recruits.

I like our assistants, but we're sending Red to targeted recruit events and he's competing with other schools' head coaches. Just sayin'.
Unfortunately, Louisville can still lock up big talents. They have a better program at this point. But we shouldn't be outworked. That's what's painful to see.

Unfortunately, Louisville can still lock up big talents. They have a better program at this point. But we shouldn't be outworked. That's what's painful to see.
Do they? They seem to be on our level of recruiting but they don't send kids to the pros after one year like we do. That seems to be the difference to me.

I'm not going to judge until we're back to full strength recruiting with coaches on the road, etc. I mean judging our recruiting at the moment with all other schools isn't level. We're at a disadvantage and it's showing. Why is Red matching up with head coaches on the trail? Do we know 100% it's because JB doesn't feel like going and we're getting out worked? I really have a hard time thinking this staff is just dumb on recruiting and effort. No way.

I'm not going to judge until we're back to full strength recruiting with coaches on the road, etc. I mean judging our recruiting at the moment with all other schools isn't level. We're at a disadvantage and it's showing. Why is Red matching up with head coaches on the trail? Do we know 100% it's because JB doesn't feel like going and we're getting out worked? I really have a hard time thinking this staff is just dumb on recruiting and effort. No way.
I think it's four years(maybe even more) now that JB hasn't attended a HS game for a recruit that didn't involve his sons playing in it. No bueno.

I think it's four years(maybe even more) now that JB hasn't attended a HS game for a recruit that didn't involve his sons playing in it. No bueno.
Seriously? That seems really weird. Even the one he was sleeping at? That pic when you posted it, was disturbing, def. no bueno.

This blows me away Francis. Love JB, but this has to change one way or another. The top 25ish kids want to "feel the love" and they want to be chased.

But Francis, he's a Hall of Famer, and he is part of the USA coaching staff, he doesn't need to go to high school games! Those type of events are simply beneath Boeheim. Work smarter, not harder ;)

But Francis, he's a Hall of Famer, and he is part of the USA coaching staff, he doesn't need to go to high school games! Those type of events are simply beneath Boeheim. Work smarter, not harder ;)

He's not going to be coaching these 2018 guys, right?

Assuming all parties stick to the succession plan that was announced.

Makes sense to have the guy they're going to actually play for, recruit then.

If I was JB's boss and I heard this, I would wonder why we are paying him +$2 million dollars to sit on his butt at home. I don't care how underpaid he might be to some of his colleagues, this is totally unacceptable. Hop needs to get his butt out there and get the word out about how he wants to play.

He's not going to be coaching these 2018 guys, right?

Assuming all parties stick to the succession plan that was announced.

Makes sense to have the guy they're going to actually play for, recruit then.
It's honestly hard to call. I wouldn't be surprised for Boeheim to leave early or for him to stay longer. Hopkins is certainly more involved in recruiting than Boeheim is at this point. I don't think our recruiting will suffer when Boeheim leaves because he isn't into it at this point in his career anyways. Now the in-game coaching may suffer, but that is yet to be seen.

This blows me away Francis. Love JB, but this has to change one way or another. The top 25ish kids want to "feel the love" and they want to be chased.
If this is JB last class as HC, then things will definitely not change. Hop just needs to continue being the frontman on the road and let these kids know what to expect with him as HC. Hop has been preaching more uptempo offense and multiple defensive looks. That should be very attractive to future recruits.

The real question is...is Hop working his butt off on the recruiting trail? JB is departing. It's on Hop. I hope he isn't just delegating recruiting to his assistants. Because Hop hasn't accomplished jack yet. If he doesn't want to be a 1 - 2 year "fill in" keeping the seat warm he better get out there and bring in some top 40 kids. And fast.

The real question is...is Hop working his butt off on the recruiting trail? JB is departing. It's on Hop. I hope he isn't just delegating recruiting to his assistants. Because Hop hasn't accomplished jack yet. If he doesn't want to be a 1 - 2 year "fill in" keeping the seat warm he better get out there and bring in some top 40 kids. And fast.

Hop has been considered one of the top recruiting assistants for a long time. I'm sure he knows the drill.

Jesus

Wow...Maybe he just needs to retire and enjoy his kids then which he should do if this is the real deal. ACC basket is league where coaches need to be all in 100% of the time.And that is something I really don't like it to be honestly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom