We are in dire need of at least 3 JUCO D-linemen | Syracusefan.com

We are in dire need of at least 3 JUCO D-linemen

Dcuse

All Conference
for this year coming. just browsed through roster and with losses here recently we have a HUGE lack of depth.

for this year coming. just browsed through roster and with losses here recently we have a HUGE lack of depth.
Maybe there is an OL or 2 who can switch. Not that there is a ton of depth there either.

Huh. I'm thinking the D line rotation (including the DEs) might be the strength of the team for the coming season, especially if Clark is ready to contribute.

Echoing other sentiments, I feel our D front 7 is the strongest unit for this coming season.

Nevermind. Just actually looked at the roster...

tumblr_inline_nobuhxNaTd1rljsgg_500.jpg

Huh. I'm thinking the D line rotation (including the DEs) might be the strength of the team for the coming season, especially if Clark is ready to contribute.

Agreed.

Ron Thompson,Donnie Simmons(5th year senior whose played like 3 games in his career) and Luke Arcienega( converted,often injured line backer).those are your returning DE's. Wayne Williams( out of shape last year- has done nothing yet), john Raymon( two bad injuries, no idea what he has left) and 2 redshirt freshman I hope are good. Those are your returning DT's. You think that's the strength of the team? Whoa

Dcuse said:
Ron Thompson,Donnie Simmons(5th year senior whose played like 3 games in his career) and Luke Arcienega( converted,often injured line backer).those are your returning DE's. Wayne Williams( out of shape last year- has done nothing yet), john Raymon( two bad injuries, no idea what he has left) and 2 redshirt freshman I hope are good. Those are your returning DT's. You think that's the strength of the team? Whoa

You'll see.

I think we'll be okay. I'm sure there will be some setbacks, there always are, but on the whole, it'll be fine.

Why JUCO's? Our freshmen DE/DT are arguably the best players we have coming in this year. Pickard & Clark were getting looks from big-time schools. They figure to play right away. Ealey & Sheppard also figure to get a chance at DE. Cross, Guidice, Carter. We have 7 guys on the DL coming in next year. I have to think a couple of them are earmarked to play early and often.

Not to mention Thompson is a potential all-league player. Not sure why you just breeze over him and just mention his name. He's a HUGE component. And if he stays at DE, he's going to play 65-70% of the time. Simmons played in 11 games last season, not three. He's battled injuries but is a 5th year guy who has experience. The majority of posters here had very big expectations of him when he was recruited but the injuries have held him back. By all accounts he's healthy now. Arciniega is another guy who could factor in - he could be a surprise at this position if he's able to stay healthy too.

Raymon, Williams, Slayton, Samuels - all four are athletic and have upside. Raymon and Williams need to stay healthy, but those four are more talented than some of the players we have had at the position when our defenses were pretty good (2010 for example).

All together we have 14 DL (by my count) for next year. A lot of youth, but a lot of talent. JUCO is unnecessary.

Why JUCO's? Our freshmen DE/DT are arguably the best players we have coming in this year. Pickard & Clark were getting looks from big-time schools. They figure to play right away. Ealey & Sheppard also figure to get a chance at DE. Cross, Guidice, Carter. We have 7 guys on the DL coming in next year. I have to think a couple of them are earmarked to play early and often.

Not to mention Thompson is a potential all-league player. Not sure why you just breeze over him and just mention his name. He's a HUGE component. And if he stays at DE, he's going to play 65-70% of the time. Simmons played in 11 games last season, not three. He's battled injuries but is a 5th year guy who has experience. The majority of posters here had very big expectations of him when he was recruited but the injuries have held him back. By all accounts he's healthy now. Arciniega is another guy who could factor in - he could be a surprise at this position if he's able to stay healthy too.

Raymon, Williams, Slayton, Samuels - all four are athletic and have upside. Raymon and Williams need to stay healthy, but those four are more talented than some of the players we have had at the position when our defenses were pretty good (2010 for example).

All together we have 14 DL (by my count) for next year. A lot of youth, but a lot of talent. JUCO is unnecessary.

I agree with a lot of this. Thompson will be a stud at DE. He was a stud at DT last year despite being undersized, and will benefit from shifting back to his more natural position. With him set at one DE, we only need one guy to emerge as a competent starter opposite Thompson. Will be interesting to see if Simmons / Arcinega step up and contribute as seniors, or if any of the frosh [Ealey, Sheppard, Pickard] are ready to get into the mix. We need a few guys here to emerge as rotation candidates.

At DT, we do have some injury question marks. If Raymon bounces back, then I think we could be loaded at DT. I have a feeling that Raymon and Williams will BOTH be healthy and in shape, and that they will give us a strong nucleus inside against the run. Slayton, Samuels, and the incoming frosh Clark / Cross will give us a more than adequate rotation inside to spell those guys--so barring catostrophic injuries like we saw at OL last year, we should be all set at DT.

So bottom line for me:
  • We need 2-3 DEs to emerge so we can have a viable rotation alongside Thompson and get upfield pressure on QBs
  • We need Raymon / Williams to stay healthy
  • We need Slayton and Samuels to continue the impressive play they showed during spring ball
  • We need some of the frosh [Ealey, Sheppard, Pickard, Cross, and Clark] to provide quality depth
If those things happen, and I am confident that they will [although a bit concerned about DE], then DL will be an area of strength like 007 suggests above.

Last edited:

Sorry, I'd like to believe all this young guy stuff but the vast majority of linemen coming out of high school are not physically ready to go in their 1st year. That's just fact. I'm hoping like you that ours are but is that realistic?

I agree with a lot of this. Thompson will be a stud at DE. He was a stud at DT last year despite being undersized, and will benefit from shifting back to his more natural position. With him set at one DE, we only need one guy to emerge as a competent starter opposite Thompson. Will be interesting to see if Simmons / Arcinega step up, or any of the frosh [Ealey, Sheppard, Pickard] get into the mix. We need a few guys here to emerge as rotation candidates.

At DT, we do have some injury question marks. If Raymon bounces back, then I think we could be loaded at DT. I have a feeling that Raymon and Williams will BOTH be healthy and in shape, and that they will give us a strong nucleus inside against the run. Slayton, Samuels, and the incoming frosh Clark / Cross will give us a more than adequate rotation inside to spell those guys--so barring catostrophic injuries like we saw at OL last year, we should be all set at DT.

So bottom line for me:
  • We need 2-3 DEs to emerge so we can have a viable rotation alongside Thompson and get upfield pressure on QBs
  • We need Raymon / Williams to stay healthy
  • We need Slayton and Samuels to continue the impressive play they showed during spring ball
  • We need some of the frosh [Ealey, Sheppard, Pickard, Cross, and Clark] to provide quality depth
If those things happen, and I am confident that they will [although a bit concerned about DE], then DL will be an area of strength like 007 suggests above.

And...they are being coached by the best position coach on the staff, IMO.

I think we also need to keep in mind when talking about "strength" on the team, it is in comparison to talent and performance at other positions within the team.

Dcuse said:
Sorry, I'd like to believe all this young guy stuff but the vast majority of linemen coming out of high school are not physically ready to go in their 1st year. That's just fact. I'm hoping like you that ours are but is that realistic?

With Clark - yes. With Cross - think so.

We have 4 healthy Defensive Tackles but the problem is there is nobody behind them except for the two freshman. I certainly understand the concern.

I'm fine with the the defensive ends because frosh can play there but we dont' run a tradtional 4 down dline. we mix it up with 4-3, 3-4 and throw a lot of linebackers up.

NT/DT rightfully so is a concern. I thought Sloan came on at the end of the year. To lose him, Coleman AND Johnson was quite a blow to the unit. Now I have HIGH hopes for Samuels and Slayton but as of now it's hope. Cant afford ANY injuries.

I'm also really concerned with the defensive backs. My biggest fear going into this season is actually turning it around on offense but taking a step back on defense. The offensive gains not showing up in the W column because we get scored on too much.

Every quote I have seen come from head coaches says that the easiest place to make an immediate impact as a freshman is ST/WR/RB not OL/DL. The fact remains these are HS kids coming going up against 4 and 5 years guys who've been on a college level S/C program. Boys against men. Not even Art/Chandler played as freshman and they are both NFL talents and probably our 2 best DL since Freeney was here.

Clark is absolutely physically strong enough. That dude is a HOUSE. And Pickard is getting there, as well. Last I checked in, he was up over 250 and hoping to be at least 260 by the time he gets to SU. Those two are 100% playing significant snaps this year.

As long as John Raymon is healthy, and Wayne Williams is in shape, and wants to compete, we are fine on the defensive line. Samuels, Slayton, Clark, and Cross will be more then enough depth.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom