We got 1 scholarship back in November 2015 | Syracusefan.com

We got 1 scholarship back in November 2015

Alsacs

Living Legend
How did we put all our eggs into the basket of Quade Green and not have any backup?
I didn't follow his recruitment closely but even if we got him we still need another guard for 2017.
It doesn't appear we have any guards on the radar?
We have
Guards: Howard, Battle
Forward: Lydon, Moyer, Thompson, Brissitt
Center: Chukwu, Sidibe
That is 8 players of 11 possible scholarships.
Even if we got Green we would be sitting at 9.

People want patience but W-T-F are our coaches doing?
This is assuming all 8 return and I highly doubt all 8 return.
Jim Boeheim is supposedly retiring next year how people can't see this killing recruiting aren't objective.

How did we put all our eggs into the basket of Quade Green and not have any backup?
I didn't follow his recruitment closely but even if we got him we still need another guard for 2017.
It doesn't appear we have any guards on the radar?
We have

People want patience but W-T-F are our coaches doing?
Jim Boeheim is supposedly retiring next year how people can't see this killing recruiting aren't objective.
Imo, you know that saying about "eye of the tiger?" Our coaching staff is the diametric opposite of that...

Of everything in a so far woeful season - the most upsetting was the all eggs in one basket approach. Borders on an unforgivable mistake.
I just don't understand going all eggs in one basket when we actually needed to fill multiple baskets.

That analogy kinda breaks down, but it made sense in my head.

I'm saying we needed more than one guard and we basically legitimately recruited... one guard.

I'm far from a recruiting expert on this board considering some of the guys we have here - but we were in the "top 5" for SEVERAL recruits - Diallo, Randolph, Walker - and we struck out on all of them. We turned down Isaiah Washington because we thought we'd get Green - we told Matt Coleman to basically go away.

There's definitely guys we missed on like the Diallo/Randolph/Walker group - but I don't it was because of lack of effort; and that stuff happens so it's ok. The thing that killed us was telling 2 really good PG's that we didn't want them because of Green.

Of everything in a so far woeful season - the most upsetting was the all eggs in one basket approach. Borders on an unforgivable mistake.

Especially since we learned that lesson TWICE years ago. Wanted Kenny Anderson, got BMW'd by Tech and settled for Michael Edwards. Wanted Stephon Marbury, got outspent by Tech again.

Green played us like a traveling minstrel.

I just don't understand going all eggs in one basket when we actually needed to fill multiple baskets.

That analogy kinda breaks down, but it made sense in my head.

I'm saying we needed more than one guard and we basically legitimately recruited... one guard.

And the baskets we do fill are positions are that we don't really "need".

We have

I will assume all 8 do return. The bloom is off Lydon's rose with the team's poor performance. If Howard is either run off or runs off, then we're basically dead next season unless we ink a spring commit like Ayala or someone who turns out to be a huge surprise.

100% agree that we need at least 2 guards added to the roster for next season, cannot even practice with 8 guys, and of course Howard and Battle cannot play 40 with no backups. Front line looks OK (not great by any standard) with 6 guys: Lydon, Thompson, Moyer, Chukwo, Brisset, Sidbe

So how many and of what quality would you bring in for guards? IMO, need 2 PG and 1 SG. Use all 3 scholly now, even on "below SU standards" players. Must assume at least 2 of Lydon, Thompson and Battle leave early after next year and thus Hop won't be restriced to only 1 scholly available to promise.

Last edited:
So we are allowed 11 scholarships next year, right?

So we are allowed 11 scholarships next year, right?
Correct 2015, 2016, 2017 we have 11 scholarships
2018 we have 12.
Next year we have 6 players returning with eligibility and two commits.
We won't have a full roster unless we fill 3 spots with grad transfers or somehow flip already made
verbals.

Correct 2015, 2016, 2017 we have 11 scholarships
2018 we have 12.
Next year we have 6 players returning with eligibility and two commits.
We won't have a full roster unless we fill 3 spots with grad transfers or somehow flip already made
verbals.

What's even more alarming to me is, they had to project that Lydon was going to move on and that Battle was a possibility to move on so that "could" have left us with 5 extra open spots. Even with just the three we still don't have contingency plans.

I guess my question is what in the hell has the staff done the past year? Yay, we got two guys at positions we probably don't need to fill who aren't even top 100 guys.

If we had something going on with recruiting this year or next I probably wouldn't even been that concerned with this awful season but combining them both is enough for me to actually have concern that the wheels are falling off on the hill for a bare minimum of 3 years.

Last edited:
We do need Brisset and Sidbe at their positions, but glaringly we need a couple of guards too. Gotta get 2 guys in the spring who can give Frank and Tyus 5 minutes a half next year.

We do need Brisset and Sidbe at their positions, but glaringly we need a couple of guards too. Gotta get 2 guys in the spring who can give Frank and Tyus 5 minutes a half next year.
We need like FOUR guys at guard next year; yet we spent 90% of the time recruiting one guy, and didn't even get him...

I hope we're planning on someone other Howard at the point next year.

I hope we're planning on someone other Howard at the point next year.
It currently looks like either a Grad Transfer, JUCO, or reclassify '18 Eric Ayala...another combo guard that we'd hope to make a PG.

Need to keep Frank in the family next year, like it or not. OK, so he seemingly will not be great, but he'll have 2 years in the program and zone. Starting over with either a >100 freshman or a grad xfr new to the 2-3 is a magnificent risk. JB will not abandon the zone for his curtain call.

We have 7'2", Thompson, Lydon, and Moyer next year at the 4 and 5.

I'd be shocked if Brisset and Sidbe play much at all unless Lydon comes back and finally can play the 3.

Our biggest holes are at the 1 and the 2. Even if it was a backup at the 1 we've needed and still need a 2 and that hasn't changed and we have probably known that we needed one for the past 2 years.

The staff dropped the ball, plain and simple.

We have 7'2", Thompson, Lydon, and Moyer next year at the 4 and 5.

I'd be shocked if Brisset and Sidbe play much at all unless Lydon comes back and finally can play the 3.

Our biggest holes are at the 1 and the 2. Even if it was a backup at the 1 we've needed and still need a 2 and that hasn't changed and we have probably known that we needed one for the past 2 years.

The staff dropped the ball, plain and simple.

Thompson is our center next year. Doubt Lydon stays. This stink has to be tough to deal with. Moyer better be primarily a 4. He's not ready to be a 3. Sidibe can play the 4 or 5 but he looks more like a 5 to me but he can defend out of the 4. He has quick feet. Brisset is the wild card. Does the staff view him as a 3/4? He certainly isn't a shooter yet.

This roster is not being built in a logical way. We have way too many 4/5 types, not one pure 3 on this roster or next year's. And I can't even talk about the empty guards cupboard.

Is anyone minding the store? What the hell is going on?

Last edited:
Thompson is our center next year. Doubt Lydon stays. This stink has to be tough to deal with. Moyer better be primarily a 4. He's not ready to be a 3. Sidibe can play the 4 or 5 but he looks more like a 5 to me but he can defend our of the 4. He has quick feet. Brisset is the wild card. Does the staff view him as a 3/4? He certainly isn't a shooter yet.

This roster is not being built in a logical way. We have way too many 4/5 types, not one pure 3 on this roster or next year's. And I can't even talk about the empty guards cupboard.

Whomever is minding it must have seen this and now has this in mind.

UC Irvine assembles the tallest starting lineup in college basketball history

Thompson is our center next year. Doubt Lydon stays. This stink has to be tough to deal with. Moyer better be primarily a 4. He's not ready to be a 3. Sidibe can play the 4 or 5 but he looks more like a 5 to me but he can defend our of the 4. He has quick feet. Brisset is the wild card. Does the staff view him as a 3/4? He certainly isn't a shooter yet.

jim-boeheim-nap-sleep-syracuse-5.jpg

Need to keep Frank in the family next year, like it or not. OK, so he seemingly will not be great, but he'll have 2 years in the program and zone. Starting over with either a >100 freshman or a grad xfr new to the 2-3 is a magnificent risk. JB will not abandon the zone for his curtain call.

If he's family, we are REALLY disfunctional.

I changed my avatar for a reason. Tony and Lemmy are sending a message.
Oh jeez, now someone has to crack the code. Lemmy was always so subtle and reserved, it was hard to tell how he felt about anything.

Playing Frank 30 minutes over 2 games is alarming, but planning to play him 30 minutes per game is absolutely terrifying. He's not a PG and has never looked like one since the beginning of last year. I still can't believe this program is in this situation. Unreal.

Thompson is our center next year. Doubt Lydon stays. This stink has to be tough to deal with. Moyer better be primarily a 4. He's not ready to be a 3. Sidibe can play the 4 or 5 but he looks more like a 5 to me but he can defend out of the 4. He has quick feet. Brisset is the wild card. Does the staff view him as a 3/4? He certainly isn't a shooter yet.

I'd actually say the roster is not even being built. It's just cobbling together some parts when there's some free time.

I also have to ask what is going on. Is Hop in JB's ear asking the same things or is he a major part of the problem? You'd think he'd want this program to be in great shape when it's his turn, so...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom