We have fallen so hard off the national landscape- CBS article on coaches on the hot seat | Syracusefan.com

We have fallen so hard off the national landscape- CBS article on coaches on the hot seat

Alsacs

Living Legend
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...iday-five-top-coaches-on-the-hot-seat-in-2015
It is amazing how far SU football has fallen in terms of expectations when Scott Shafer isn't even one of CBS Sports top 5 coaches on the hot seat or one of the five honorable mentions.

I mean I don't expect SS to be 1 or 2, but the fact our program isn't listed just shows me how far we have fallen nationally.
Fear not, we are still way up there...

http://coacheshotseat.com/

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/hotseat

http://accfootballrx.blogspot.com/2015/01/hot-seats-2015.html

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...iday-five-top-coaches-on-the-hot-seat-in-2015
It is amazing how far SU football has fallen in terms of expectations when Scott Shafer isn't even one of CBS Sports top 5 coaches on the hot seat or one of the five honorable mentions.

I mean I don't expect SS to be 1 or 2, but the fact our program isn't listed just shows me how far we have fallen nationally.
While I agree we have fallen, I don't think there is any perception nationally that Shafer would be on the hot seat. He took over from St Doug and led us to a bowl win in year 1. Year 2 was poor but not enough to be "hot seat" material except for us die hards. Deliver another 3-9 campaign and I guarantee he makes the list.

I want to win games and hope SS can win those games. However, it is just sad that our program which not too long was really solid nationally has fallen so far that our coach isn't one of the top 10 on notice.

This program is a lot lower nationally than a lot of us realize. Scott Shafer has not proven in two years that he deserves a longer leash we haven't had a P5 offense in 2 years if we don't have one this year and we don't go bowling he should be gone.

well, if they added Syracuse they couldve just made it an ACC coaches on the hotseat article. but i dont think this is an indication of how we have fallen nationally. there really is no reason to put him on a national hot seat, those are usually just the easiest to spot. but clearly here on the local level, we know how precarious the current state of affairs is.

one needs to take a second look to understand where we are headed or where we are. like scooch says in a different thread, if Jake had stepped in 94 after 2 straight non-bowl years and canned P...who knows how succesful the mcnabb era wouldve been......

so now, the nation and some here are clouded by a bowl year in 2013, but lets be real...

I want to win games and hope SS can win those games. However, it is just sad that our program which not too long was really solid nationally has fallen so far that our coach isn't one of the top 10 on notice.
Ah... you have moved the bar in your argument. Your first statement: "I mean I don't expect SS to be 1 or 2, but the fact our program isn't listed just shows me how far we have fallen nationally."

2013 looks like such a House of Cards.
Penn State L 17–23
Northwestern L 27–48
Wagner W 54–0
Tulane W 52–17
Clemson L 14–49
NC State W 24–10
Georgia Tech L 0–56
Wake Forest W 13–0
Maryland W 20–3
Florida State L 3–59
Pitt L 16–17
Boston College W 34–31
Minnesota W 21–17

22 PPG(17 PPG w/o Wagner/Tulane) and giving up 25 PPG(28 PPG w/o Wagner/Tulane).

This past year was nothing short of disaster and yet CBSSports doesn't think Syracuse should consider SS as one of the top 10 coaches on the hot seat. I think our expectations are higher than we should expect if SS isn't one of the top 10 coaches on the hot seat.

Ah... you have moved the bar in your argument. Your first statement: "I mean I don't expect SS to be 1 or 2, but the fact our program isn't listed just shows me how far we have fallen nationally."
How have I moved the bar? I am saying we as fans have to realize our program has fallen hard where the past two years we have gone thru doesn't warrant our coach on the national hot seat.

well, if they added Syracuse they couldve just made it an ACC coaches on the hotseat article. but i dont think this is an indication of how we have fallen nationally. there really is no reason to put him on a national hot seat, those are usually just the easiest to spot. but clearly here on the local level, we know how precarious the current state of affairs is.

one needs to take a second look to understand where we are headed or where we are. like scooch says in a different thread, if Jake had stepped in 94 after 2 straight non-bowl years and canned P...who knows how succesful the mcnabb era wouldve been...

so now, the nation and some here are clouded by a bowl year in 2013, but lets be real...
I live in NC and while Fedora's teams have struggled he should be nowhere close to the hotseat if Scott Shafer isn't listed. UNC has had defensive problems but they have gone 8-4, 7-6, 6-7 which isn't great, but there seasons have been better than ours.

That just shows me our program has no expectations when UNC is listed and we aren't. UNC has more offensive talent than we do of course, but they are a basketball school. UNC spent 700k to get Chizik to be their DC.

2013 looks like such a House of Cards.
Penn State L 17–23
Northwestern L 27–48
Wagner W 54–0
Tulane W 52–17
Clemson L 14–49
NC State W 24–10
Georgia Tech L 0–56
Wake Forest W 13–0
Maryland W 20–3
Florida State L 3–59
Pitt L 16–17
Boston College W 34–31
Minnesota W 21–17

House of cards, or the staff gets credit for a strong finish by winning 4 of the final 6, with a one point loss to Pitt?

We are in a funk after 2014 because we weren't competitive in 2014 once Hunt, Estime and some others went down. No QB, few playmakers, low expectations. Need to fight back to some level of relevance.

I live in NC and while Fedora's teams have struggled he should be nowhere close to the hotseat if Scott Shafer isn't listed. UNC has had defensive problems but they have gone 8-4, 7-6, 6-7 which isn't great, but there seasons have been better than ours.

That just shows me our program has no expectations when UNC is listed and we aren't. UNC has more offensive talent than we do of course, but they are a basketball school. UNC spent 700k to get Chizik to be their DC.
again, i think its just an easier call.

and to make the jump that its because Syracuse is looked upon nationaly as having no expectations (which could be true) is reaching. i dont think this article is an indication of that. off-season hotseats tend to be pointed towards longer tenured folks.

SS could find himself on the hotseat by the end of september anyway.

again, i think its just an easier call.

and to make the jump that its because Syracuse is looked upon nationaly as having no expectations (which could be true) is reaching. i dont think this article is an indication of that. off-season hotseats tend to be pointed towards longer tenured folks.

SS could find himself on the hotseat by the end of september anyway.
I want SS to win games. I don't hide from the fact I am basing MY OPINION off this article. People can agree or disagree which is fine. I am just saying it makes me shake my head and realize I should lower my expectations when our coach with his resume isn't even deemed a top 5 or honorable mention on the hot seat.

Again I want to win, but I guess I should expect even if we go 4-8/5-7 that SS isn't going anywhere which is very depressing. This is my opinion and should not be taken as a fact people.

I want SS to win games. I don't hide from the fact I am basing MY OPINION off this article. People can agree or disagree which is fine. I am just saying it makes me shake my head and realize I should lower my expectations when our coach with his resume isn't even deemed a top 5 or honorable mention on the hot seat.

Again I want to win, but I guess I should expect even if we go 4-8/5-7 that SS isn't going anywhere which is very depressing. This is my opinion and should not be taken as a fact people.
alsacs please. just because some assclown at sportsline didnt put SS on the hotseat in january, doesnt mean that he will back with a 4-8 season. 50 people could write an article and put him on the hotseat in july or august and that or even just 1 will land with more a thud than this article now does.

maybe you didnt participate in the other SS must go threads, but the problem we have starts further up the food chain. do we allow Gross to hire a 4th guy or does he go 1st??

we need to make a decision on a new AD and once that is done we will have clarity on the football HC situation.

but yes, right now...we are Fd.

I'm more thankful than Marshawn Lynch that Josh Parris beat an unblocked BC defender in November 2013, or I shudder to think about what the state of Syracuse football would be today.

Alsacs said:
2013 looks like such a House of Cards. Penn State L 17–23 Northwestern L 27–48 Wagner W 54–0 Tulane W 52–17 Clemson L 14–49 NC State W 24–10 Georgia Tech L 0–56 Wake Forest W 13–0 Maryland W 20–3 Florida State L 3–59 Pitt L 16–17 Boston College W 34–31 Minnesota W 21–17 22 PPG(17 PPG w/o Wagner/Tulane) and giving up 25 PPG(28 PPG w/o Wagner/Tulane). This past year was nothing short of disaster and yet CBSSports doesn't think Syracuse should consider SS as one of the top 10 coaches on the hot seat. I think our expectations are higher than we should expect if SS isn't one of the top 10 coaches on the hot seat.

Don't sink this low. A win is a win. 7-6 was a FBS first year in the ACC. Exceeded expectations nationally. Beat some very solid teams. Minnesota was better than people thought - see last season.

Smart on CBS. We are so relevant they bothered to check our Injuries.

Hence, not on the hot seat.:cool:

Last edited:
How have I moved the bar? I am saying we as fans have to realize our program has fallen hard where the past two years we have gone thru doesn't warrant our coach on the national hot seat.
The "hot seat" forecast is not about who the writers think should be on the hot seat but about who the writers think IS on the hot seat. Being on the hot seat is a reflection of whether they think the admin. and AD will fire the coach. It's their forecast of how they think the admin. and AD react. It is not their vote on who should be subject to firing.

As for moving the bar, at first you just said SU wasn't even listed and that was a sign. Then you said "has fallen so far that our coach isn't one of the top 10 on notice" You want from "not on the list" to "top to on notice" as being significant.

The "hot seat" forecast is not about who the writers think should be on the hot seat but about who the writers think IS on the hot seat. Being on the hot seat is a reflection of whether they think the admin. and AD will fire the coach. It's their forecast of how they think the admin. and AD react. It is not their vote on who should be subject to firing.

As for moving the bar, at first you just said SU wasn't even listed and that was a sign. Then you said "has fallen so far that our coach isn't one of the top 10 on notice" You want from "not on the list" to "top to on notice" as being significant.
What are you talking about?

I am saying the fact he isn't on notice to me shows our expectations for the program as far as national writers are concerned are out of whack and should be lower. Since SS's job performance is not deemed to put on him as one of the top 10 coaches on the hot seat.

What are you talking about?

I am saying the fact he isn't on notice to me shows our expectations for the program as far as national writers are concerned are out of whack and should be lower. Since SS's job performance is not deemed to put on him as one of the top 10 coaches on the hot seat.
Again, the "hot seat" is not about who the national writers think should be candidates to be fired. It is their expectation of how they think the AD/Admin. view the situation. The writers are not offering their opinion of who should be on the hot seat.

He's got one side of the equation to get fixed, not both, and the absurd cluster of injuries at QB and OL were as big a contributor as MacDonald was. Prior to the the wheels falling off physically the offense was moving the ball on the ground well and the air adequately.

They had an efficiency issue, 3rd down and redzone. The issues before the injuries were fixable.

The defense about as good as Shafer has had here.

The season was a lot worse than it should have been because of the injuries. If they don't do better without extraordinary circumstances, then he's in trouble. But is he going in on the hot seat, that wouldn't be fair. He has a lot to prove, but hot seat today, I don't know. How signing day turns out will have something to do with that.

i'm not sure why a coach after only 2 years would be on the hot seat. he went to a bowl in year 1.

all the coaches on that list are multi year coaches except taggart. but he's 4-20.

Beckman, 37 games
Fedora, 38 games
Taggart, 24 games
Golden, 48 games
London 48 games

Shafer - 25 games

Last edited:

Why would you base YOUR OPINION off of just one article?

Seems like a small sample size TO ME.