We keep playing like this Lydon's coming back | Syracusefan.com

We keep playing like this Lydon's coming back

GooseMutt

All Conference
really expected Lydon to be more dominate and assertive. If he can't /doesn't put up good numbers he won't be a lottery pick. Roberson was also shown at about 30-40 in draft but that doesn't look good right now. Is Lydon returning even feasible. I think so. I know it's early and premature to even go there but I did. He was an under the radar recruit who probably expected to be a 4 year player so to him it's probably possible. I do believe this team will turn around sooner then later but what if.

really expected Lydon to be more dominate and assertive. If he can't /doesn't put up good numbers he won't be a lottery pick. Roberson was also shown at about 30-40 in draft but that doesn't look good right now. Is Lydon returning even feasible. I think so. I know it's early and premature to even go there but I did. He was an under the radar recruit who probably expected to be a 4 year player so to him it's probably possible. I do believe this team will turn around sooner then later but what if.

You bad bad man!

Malachi Richardson shot 36% and went in the first round. Stats have zero to do where you're drafted. We go through this every year. People don't learn. Even if people aren't happy with Lydon's production so far, his numbers are up everywhere across the board compared to last year.

This is exactly why guys leave when they are projected in the first round. The future is uncertain and even when a player improves scouts may realize that the upside isn't quite as high as they had imagined. Its way to early to answer this question but the fact that it is being asked gives insight into how the draft works these days. Lydon is a better player now than he was last year. He's trying to fill a different/larger roll while also expanding his game. We haven't seen the best results yet but everything indicates that he is a better player now regardless of his draft stock.

Not necessarily. Team success can undoubtedly raise a prospect's draft profile, but where you're selected isn't correlated with team success.

We could have a great, good, mediocre, or poor year and Lydon could still go.

If people want Lydon to come back, cross your fingers that he keeps playing the 3.

In the NBA Lydon will play with good guards who will get him the ball in optimum spots. He won't have to force things and do too much like he is doing now. He will never play the 5 nor the 3. I imagine he is still a very sought after 'stretch 4' prospect.

DraftExpress: Mock Draft

Hasn't hurt him so far. Updated mock as of Monday has him in the first round. Interesting list.

I'll say. Can't say I follow that closely - is that one of the good sites, or the one that everyone makes fun of? Do they update frequently and watch games?

It's all a crapshoot anyway; if a kid doesn't want to be in college, he tends to leave college. In Lydon's case, I assumed that his play wasn't matching expectations due to his out-of-position place in a shaky offense, but maybe that's not taken into account.

I think the best NBA prospect on this years team is Thompson. But that won't happen this year. A Junior Lydon and Sophomore Thompson would be a great front court.

Wow, looking up Lydon's stats (which are fine, though he's not shooting that well), what jumps out as a red flag is that White has the second-lowest shooting percentage of any regular. .425 is mediocre for a guard and really poor for someone with size and experience. The offense isn't doing anyone any favors, but guys still have to put the ball in the basket efficiently. His shot selection has got to improve (same for Battle, who's the only guy shooting worse; the two real guards are over 50%, which is obviously very good).

This is exactly why guys leave when they are projected in the first round. The future is uncertain and even when a player improves scouts may realize that the upside isn't quite as high as they had imagined. Its way to early to answer this question but the fact that it is being asked gives insight into how the draft works these days. Lydon is a better player now than he was last year. He's trying to fill a different/larger roll while also expanding his game. We haven't seen the best results yet but everything indicates that he is a better player now regardless of his draft stock.
Exactly the point...NBA scouts could care less how many games we lose. The draft is all based on future potential and what your individual skills project to. If he can maintain similar numbers to last year with the added muscle he put on, he's gone. In the jump shooting league the NBA has become, Lydon is a fit. Anything he develops beyond that would just be an added bonus for any team. I mean look at Myles Turner's numbers at Texas(especially minutes played). Do they scream 11th pick to anyone? He seems to be doing alright for himself in the league.

I'll say. Can't say I follow that closely - is that one of the good sites, or the one that everyone makes fun of? Do they update frequently and watch games?

It's all a crapshoot anyway; if a kid doesn't want to be in college, he tends to leave college. In Lydon's case, I assumed that his play wasn't matching expectations due to his out-of-position place in a shaky offense, but maybe that's not taken into account.

Adrian Wojnarowski's draft guru. He's been around since 2003.

Lydon is coming back because clearly he has 'discovered' the way to get beer with his wings and pizza at the Varsity...

I have never been as high on Lydon as an NBA prospect as most people here. Doesn't mean I don't think he can get drafted, just that I don't think he has the high ceiling that many here project. Maybe he can fill a niche as a stretch 4 shooter off the bench, but I can't see any way he plays the 3 in the NBA, and that is where he would project size-wise. I expected him to play better than he is playing right now, but I haven never thought he could be a go-to guy game-in/game-out. I'm not sure where his ceiling is, but we're not going to get 17-18 ppg from him this year. He's gotta shoot it from the perimeter much more consistently to be a viable draft pick.

Roberson and NBA are 2 words that should never be in the same sentence. I like the kid's energy when he's playing hard (which seems to be determined by completely random occurrence), but he doesn't have any semblance of an NBA skillset. He's waaaaaay too small to play the 4 in the NBA and has ZERO skills associated with an NBA 3.

I can't believe anyone had Roberson in the top 40 for the NBA. I'm not sure he would be a Top 30 in the ACC.

tyler roberson has finished in the ACC top 10 in rebounding the past 2 seasons. there's not currently another player in the league who can make that boast. you don't win without rebounding. ok you so write him off.

Last edited:
dominANT
Well I am a Cuse grad what do you expect. Just carelessness( hope I got that right). Lydon may not want to leave without finishing business or not feeling quite ready. Doesn't seem like a money chaser like everyone else but I would be. If you have a choice of going 22 this year or 7 next which would you choose

While watching the Wisconsin debacle, DC tweeted this:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">What&#39;s wrong with <a href="Tyler Lydon (@Tyler_Lydon14) | Twitter">@Tyler_Lydon14</a></p>&mdash; Derrick Coleman (@44TheLegend) <a href="">November 30, 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Wow, looking up Lydon's stats (which are fine, though he's not shooting that well), what jumps out as a red flag is that White has the second-lowest shooting percentage of any regular. .425 is mediocre for a guard and really poor for someone with size and experience. The offense isn't doing anyone any favors, but guys still have to put the ball in the basket efficiently. His shot selection has got to improve (same for Battle, who's the only guy shooting worse; the two real guards are over 50%, which is obviously very good).

But he is shooting 38% from 3 as a volume 3 point shooter. Over half (65%) of his field goal attempts come from 3. There are other guys on the team with better percentages, but only Lydon has even half as many attempts from 3 as White. Anyway I guess what I am trying to say is that I would expect this overall field goal percentage to be on the lower side given how high a percentage of his shot are coming from behind the arc. He is shooting 50% (13 of 26) on shots from inside the arc.

Tyler Lydon's draft projection is based on potential -- projecting from where he was at the end of last season, and now taking a new look.

You have to wonder what NBA scouts are making of his play so far this season. We knew he was a good shooter. He has the ability to take an opposing center or big forward outside and shoot 3s. He has improved on the defensive boards. But he is not scoring inside and opposing bigs score over him. When guarded by smaller forwards on the perimeter, he struggles. I don't know whether this adds up to the projections that were made.

Tyler Lydon's draft projection is based on potential -- projecting from where he was at the end of last season, and now taking a new look.

You have to wonder what NBA scouts are making of his play so far this season. We knew he was a good shooter. He has the ability to take an opposing center or big forward outside and shoot 3s. He has improved on the defensive boards. But he is not scoring inside and opposing bigs score over him. When guarded by smaller forwards on the perimeter, he struggles. I don't know whether this adds up to the projections that were made.

He looks all kinds of out of rhythm when he gets the ball on the block. He was automatic for much of last season, great fundamentals, consistent footwork and shooting motion.

This year he looks like a typical Syracuse big man down there. Not sure what happened.

But he is shooting 38% from 3 as a volume 3 point shooter. Over half (65%) of his field goal attempts come from 3. There are other guys on the team with better percentages, but only Lydon has even half as many attempts from 3 as White. Anyway I guess what I am trying to say is that I would expect this overall field goal percentage to be on the lower side given how high a percentage of his shot are coming from behind the arc. He is shooting 50% (13 of 26) on shots from inside the arc.

I should have broken that down; I did realize the heavy perimeter shooting would drag the numbers down some, though that 65% surprises me and definitely tempers my criticism. But 50% still isn't very good for a relatively big guy for two-pointers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom