we need way more defensive penalties (i'm serious - 10th fewest penalties per game) | Syracusefan.com

we need way more defensive penalties (i'm serious - 10th fewest penalties per game)

Millhouse

Living Legend
we have the tenth fewest penalties in FBS. Only 4.5

our secondary will have an easier time tackling if they do it before the ball gets there. it will reduce the damage and it will be good practice for them.

I want to see 12 penalties a game the rest of the way.

Even though its only 4.5 they seem to come at the worst possible time ... see USF and UVA. The thing that was driving me crazy was Speilman even commenting on all the blown calls that should have gone against FSU ... they were mugging our wideouts. Those officials were awful which begs the question of ... should our guys have tried to go the same route just to see if they get called?

Even though its only 4.5 they seem to come at the worst possible time ... see USF and UVA. The thing that was driving me crazy was Speilman even commenting on all the blown calls that should have gone against FSU ... they were mugging our wideouts. Those officials were awful which begs the question of ... should our guys have tried to go the same route just to see if they get called?

Yes. As the game progressed and it was clear that the refs were allowing significant contact in the secondary we should have been telling our players to be more physical. Maybe we did, i don't know. That's called smart, situational, in-game coaching. We tend to be terrible at that though.

Good point, but it's hard to commit penalties playing 10 yards off the line of scrimmage and the next thing you know, the receiver is 30 yards behind you ;)

we have the tenth fewest penalties in FBS. Only 4.5

our secondary will have an easier time tackling if they do it before the ball gets there. it will reduce the damage and it will be good practice for them.

I want to see 12 penalties a game the rest of the way.

If there was a way to measure the timing of those penalties relative to the number of penalties actually called, I think we'd rank right up there nationally. It seems like the few penalties we get come at the ABSOLUTE worst times.

even though taking more pass interference penalties would help the team, there is no way Shafer would make that part of the strategy because he would say it's teaching the wrong lesson to kids.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom