we should just pretend Christmas is a 5 star freshman 1 and done | Syracusefan.com

we should just pretend Christmas is a 5 star freshman 1 and done

He needs to establish position a little lower down than he did last night. Also needs to control the ticky tack fouls. When he does those two things, he's shown himself to be near unstoppable.

He needs to establish position a little lower down than he did last night. Also needs to control the ticky tack fouls. When he does those two things, he's shown himself to be near unstoppable.

Would love to seem him pass the ball back out for once. As you mention he gets the ball a little too high on the post and still tries to go for the shot. He needs to learn to kick it back out and reestablish position in a better spot. And granted the outside shooting has been suspect, but he draws a double team and tries to muscle his way through it every time. That's not gonna fly against bigger inside players.

Would love to seem him pass the ball back out for once. As you mention he gets the ball a little too high on the post and still tries to go for the shot. He needs to learn to kick it back out and reestablish position in a better spot. And granted the outside shooting has been suspect, but he draws a double team and tries to muscle his way through it every time. That's not gonna fly against bigger inside players.

He's shown some ability to pass this year. Agree that he's forcing a tad, but he'll adjust once the competition gets better / bigger.

He seems to have solid vision for a center, passing out of the post.

He's shown some ability to pass this year. Agree that he's forcing a tad, but he'll adjust once the competition gets better / bigger.

He seems to have solid vision for a center, passing out of the post.

In my dreams I see Rak passing out of a double team to Cooney who can actually step in to 3 for a change. None of this off balanced, floating sideways crap.

In my dreams I see Rak passing out of a double team to Cooney who can actually step in to 3 for a change. None of this off balanced, floating sideways crap.
There was one play last night where Rak posted up, made a move, and kicked it to Cooney, but I think Cooney missed.

But, yeah, it was one of those "WE MIGHT ACTUALLY DO THIS RIGHT?!?!?!?!?!?!" moments.

Def would like to see him pass a little more, I feel like he's forcing shots just a little.
Here's a crazy stat; he's taken 10 shots or more in every game this year. Prior to this year, he had never taken 10 shots in a game. Obviously he's playing a much larger role in the offense, just crazy to see that.

Def would like to see him pass a little more, I feel like he's forcing shots just a little.
Here's a crazy stat; he's taken 10 shots or more in every game this year. Prior to this year, he had never taken 10 shots in a game. Obviously he's playing a much larger role in the offense, just crazy to see that.
He's making more shots per game than shot attempts per game he's had any other year.

I'm pretty sure that's how he got half of his 23 assists last year.

He's making more shots per game than shot attempts per game he's had any other year.

Ha that one is probably even better than mine.

I think he could stand to be a little more selective. But then, I look at the rest of the team so far, and we have 2 other guys over a 50% true shooting.

McCollough and Christmas need to average 26-30 points per game. We are offensively challenged. Rak showed improved post play last year we just didn't feed him the ball. Rak's offense IMO won us the Pitt game at the Dome last year. He just didn't get enough touches. He needs to be fed the ball have the defense crumble into him and open shots for Joseph/Cooney/Gbinije.

Ha that one is probably even better than mine.

I think he could stand to be a little more selective. But then, I look at the rest of the team so far, and we have 2 other guys over a 50% true shooting.
He's short arming a bunch when he turns over his right shoulder. If he turns that push shot in to a jump hook I think he'd make that shot more often.

The fact he can even make a move over his dominant shoulder is more advanced than 95% of college bigs though.

That's not hyperbole.

Before this year, Christmas had three games with more than 7 field goal attempts: a 6-8 and 6-9 in Big East games in 2013 and a 7-8 in 2014. He was hardly given a chance; when he was, he did well.

He's forcing some this season but I'm pleased with his passing. It'd be nice if his teammates hit their shots when he kicks the ball out. He's got to finish better, though. Too many wild releases.

He is doing great but he has to realize when he's a bit too far out of his comfort zone snd there is defensive help in position. Toss it out and try again. Of course a big part of this is when he posts hard and doesn't get the ball. Then he gets frustrated and shoots the next 5 times he gets it. He also seems very eager to shot when he gets the ball after missing.

Last edited:
Yeah, I think he always had 90% of what we're seeing now in him.

Not so sure about that, Otto. He averaged less than 10 points a game...in HS. Rak is an athletic freak with an underestimated skill set. The issue IMO, has never been about his skills per se, it's more his understanding of the game, his understanding of positioning, his court awareness, his basketball "sense." He did not grow up playing basketball. He is not an instinctual player (think Tyler Ennis as an extreme example of being gifted in this area).

It's taken Rak 4 years to develop a semblance of those kind of instincts and, equally if not more important, to gain JB's trust that he "gets it" and can be counted on to produce. This is not Rik Jackson, who had a great sense of positioning and court awareness, but need to work really hard to develop the skill sets. Rak is the opposite of that.

He is going to have a really good season.

Not so sure about that, Otto. He averaged less than 10 points a game...in HS. Rak is an athletic freak with an underestimated skill set. The issue IMO, has never been about his skills per se, it's more his understanding of the game, his understanding of positioning, his court awareness, his basketball "sense." He did not grow up playing basketball. He is not an instinctual player (think Tyler Ennis as an extreme example of being gifted in this area).

It's taken Rak 4 years to develop a semblance of those kind of instincts and, equally if not more important, to gain JB's trust that he "gets it" and can be counted on to produce. This is not Rik Jackson, who had a great sense of positioning and court awareness, but need to work really hard to develop the skill sets. Rak is the opposite of that.

I think it's more likely that he made a smaller impronowent, but now works under a bigger role, than it is that his game has improved so much that he now merits that role on the strength of that improvement and the makeup of the team. The few times he was featured last season he responded well.

Yeah, I think he always had 90% of what we're seeing now in him.

Agreed - in exhibition games, when he seemed to feel a little more free to take some shots, he always showed good coordination, and a capability to score. Then the season would start and he wouldn't see the ball for weeks at a time. I don't know - kid always seemed to have more to offer, just never got the touches.

It always felt like if he took one of those off balanced shots any year previous to this he'd be on the bench. And probably wouldn't see the ball again the entire game. Hard not to press too much, deliver at all under those circumstances.

Where did you get the under 10 from? I feel like it's often repeated on here, but I'm not sure why. Are you counting his Frosh/Soph years in your tally - cuz I don't think that's accurate...

Where did you get the under 10 from? I feel like it's often repeated on here, but I'm not sure why. Are you counting his Frosh/Soph years in your tally - cuz I don't think that's accurate...

yeah, fair point. If we are just looking at his Sr year in HS "Christmas averaged 11.3 points, 9.6 rebounds and 3.9 blocks, according to espn.com … He was the Pennsylvania Class A Player of the Year," as per his bio on cuse.com. FWIW, class A is the smallest classification in PA

http://cuse.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=10327

yeah, fair point. If we are just looking at his Sr year in HS "Christmas averaged 11.3 points, 9.6 rebounds and 3.9 blocks, according to espn.com … He was the Pennsylvania Class A Player of the Year," as per his bio on cuse.com. FWIW, class A is the smallest classification in PA

http://cuse.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=10327

What did Okafor average his Sr year?

the guy showed flashes last year until Boeheim decided to mess with his head

forget about the first couple years of christmas, pretend he's a 1 and done 18 year old and be cool with him being the centerpiece.

Most 5 Star McDAA recruits are automatic one and dones these days. Was it JB's management skills or Rak's own ineptness that has kept him away from the big money this long? (I would rather not express my views). Whatever the case, Rak's time has finally come and JB will be pushing him to the hilt this year. I expect Rak's star to soar to impressive heights and that come March he and CMc will be viewed as tandem top draft picks.

Much as I'd love to take all the bait in this thread and run with it, I'm going to pass. I'm thrilled that Rak is beginning to play to his potential, in spite of JB's and the team's concerted efforts to keep him down. I can't wait to see him in person tomorrow night. Happy Thanksgiving everybody.

Most 5 Star McDAA recruits are automatic one and dones these days. Was it JB's management skills or Rak's own ineptness that has kept him away from the big money this long? (I would rather not express my views). Whatever the case, Rak's time has finally come and JB will be pushing him to the hilt this year. I expect Rak's star to soar to impressive heights and that come March he and CMc will be viewed as tandem top draft picks.

Everyone can't be a one and done 1st rounder, the World needs four year starters too.

hqdefault.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom