Wednesday Articles | Syracusefan.com

Wednesday Articles

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
I am temporarily filling in for OE as he recovers from major surgery. Get well soon Dan.

News

14700751-mmmain.jpg

Gonzaga's Bryant Crawford Tries to Steal the Ball From Frank Howard Jan 2013

Newest SU Recruit Frank Howard Ready to Return After Knee Injury (PS; Waters)

Out of sight and out of mind for almost a year, Frank Howard wants to deliver a message.

"I'm back,'' Howard said late Monday night after announcing that he would attend Syracuse University. "I want to show people my game.''

Howard, a 6-foot-5 junior guard from Pope Paul VI High School in Fairfax, Va., missed the entire 2013-14 season with a knee injury.

In July of last year, Howard was playing for Team Takeover, an AAU club based in Washington D.C. in the Peach Jam tournament in South Carolina. He went up for a dunk and came down awkwardly, twisting his left knee. He continued playing and even tried to play the following day, but the knee kept popping out of place.

An MRI would later reveal a torn anterior cruciate ligament. Howard underwent surgery, hoping that he might return in time for Washington Catholic Athletic Conference playoffs. That didn't happen.

But Howard recently received medical clearance to play again and he's anxious show off his game.

"I started playing a little pick-up ball about a month ago,'' Howard said. "At first, I just wanted to get my wind back. Now I can do everything. I'm attacking the rim and dunking.''...

What They Are Saying About New SU Verbal Franklin Howard (PS; Axe)

You win some and you lose some.

On the same day it became official that the Syracuse University basketball team hadlost Jerami Grant to the NBA Draft, 2015 recruit Franklin Howard of Paul VI in Fairfax, Virginia and "Team Takeover" of AAU ball committed to Syracuse....

-bd18becc9900d902.JPG

Future Burger Boy Malachi Richardson

SU Basketball's Remaining 2015 Recruiting Targets (PS; Waters)

A big guy and maybe a freak athlete wing

On Monday night, Frank Howard became the third player in the Class of 2015 to commit to Syracuse University.

Howard, a 6-foot-5 junior guard at Pope Paul VI High School in Fairfax, Va., picked Syracuse from a final list that also included Ohio State, Georgetown, Virginia, Maryland and North Carolina State.

He now joins Malachi Richardson, a 6-6 shooting guard at Trenton (N.J.) Catholic; and Tyler Lydon, a 6-8 forward from Pine Plains, N.Y., who is currently attending New Hampton (N.H.) Prep, in Syracuse's 2015 class.

All three players are considered Top 60 recruits. Richardson is ranked 10th in ESPN's Top 60 and 17th on At their request, this network is being blocked from this site.. Lydon is at No. 57 for ESPN and 63 on At their request, this network is being blocked from this site.. Howard is listed at No. 58 on At their request, this network is being blocked from this site., but is currently outside ESPN's Top 60 for the 2015 class.

Syracuse, though, is far from done in its pursuit of players in the Class of 2015. The Orange still needs a low-post player; either a center or a power forward, to fortify its frontcourt of the future. In addition, the SU coaches also have their sights set on one of the premiere players in this year's junior class.

Here is a look at who Syracuse is recruiting and who it's not...

BZSZFDgIAAAb4_N.jpg:large

Tyler Lydon

2015 SU Recruit Tyler Lydon Can Shoot and Provide Athleticism at Forward (PS; Ditota)

Jim Hart has watched plenty of Syracuse basketball games over the years. He coaches the Albany City Rocks, an AAU team that regularly contributes players to the Orange roster. His son, Nolan, was an SU walk-on who was eventually awarded a scholarship.

So when Hart describes Tyler Lydon as somebody who could ultimately replicate what Jerami Grant provided the Orange, he is applying some perspective.

"He's a hard worker and he can really shoot the ball," Hart said. "He really jumps out of the gym. He's almost like Jerami in that sense. He's a pretty skilled kid. I think he's going to be really good. He's a long, athletic guy for the back of the zone."...

ACC News

Clemson Season Wrap: KJ Daniels and Company Took a Big Step Forward (PS; Stevens)
Record: 23-13 (10-8 ACC)

Last seen: Falling to Southern Methodist in the NIT semifinals, denying the Tigers a chance to play in the event's title game for the third time in 15 years (1999 and 2007 were the other two times).

What went right: K.J. McDaniels was a monster, carrying the Tigers at times en route to a well-earned first team all-ACC nod. Rod Hall emerged as a more-than-capable point guard who minimized mistakes. Landry Nnoko gave Clemson a defense-and-rebounding presence in the paint.

Overall, the Tigers did two things exceptionally well: Play defense and shoot free throws. Both were critical as Clemson won 10 more games than it had a year earlier and bagged an impressive home triumph against Duke.

What went wrong: It's possible to nitpick, but not really worth it. Sure, Clemson could have been a better 3-point shooting team, and its affinity for rock fights doesn't make it the most aesthetically pleasing team to watch. But the Tigers own a reliable defense, and Brownell is one of the conference's best coaches, and that combination gave Clemson a chance most nights.

One thing the Tigers didn't have was a strong nonconference schedule, and it seriously hampered any chance they had of entering the NCAA tournament conversation. It was tough to blame Brownell for scheduling soft coming off a 13-18 season, but that is an area that needs to improve next year.

14020484-mmmain.jpg

NC State HC Mark Gottfried

NC State Season Wrap: TJ Was a One-Man Show (PS; Stevens)

Record: 22-14 (9-9 ACC)

Last seen: Imploding down the stretch of an NCAA tournament round of 64 game against Saint Louis, a loss that should not take away from N.C. State's memorable March triumphs over Pittsburgh, Syracuse and Xavier.

What went right: Sophomore T.J. Warren was awesome, earning the ACC player of the year award thanks to averaging more than five points per game more than anyone else. Tyler Lewis proved to be an effective point guard for this particular edition of N.C. State thanks to his ability to get Warren the ball.

The Wolfpack also turned in arguably their best stretch at the right time, winning five of six games to open March. That streak included a victory at Pittsburgh and against Syracuse in the ACC tournament, triumphs that proved crucial for their NCAA tournament resume.

What went wrong: A 1-4 slide in February that featured one-point losses against Syracuse and North Carolina nearly did the Wolfpack in. Beyond Ralston Turner, it was difficult for coach Mark Gottfried to find complementary scorers who had any sort of on-court consistency. Newcomers Desmond Lee and Cat Barber both struggled with their shooting in conference play...

Other News

California Hires Cuonzo Martin From Tennessee After Surprising Sweet 16 Run (sportsnews.com; DeCourcy)

"Today is also a surprising day for me," Hart said, according to Wes Rucker of 247 Sports. "Perhaps we'll get someone with a tremendous track record. Maybe we'll get a 'rising star.' I don't know yet. I just know I'm looking for a winner."

The obvious move for Tennessee would be to make a significant offer to Wichita State coach Gregg Marshall. But Marshall already is well compensated by the Shockers, and it might take an offer toward the $3 million neighborhood to convince him to move. Otherwise, coming off a Final Four appearance and undefeated regular season, Marshall could wait for a position with a more established basketball tradition.

Tennessee went after Xavier's Chris Mack in 2011 but wasn't successful. Hart could also be wise whether some of his peers were foolish and bring in Syracuse assistant Mike Hopkins, who continues to excel as the Orange's top recruiter and will succeed Jim Boeheim with the Orange if someone doesn't smartly steal him first...

Former Players

Melo May Have Played Last Game with Knicks (syracuse.com)

Carmelo Anthony is unlikely to play Tuesday night in Brooklyn and could be done for the season, meaning he has potentially played his last game with the New York Knicks.

Anthony was getting his sore right shoulder evaluated Tuesday morning and coach Mike Woodson says the Knicks' leading scorer "probably won't" play against the Nets. The Knicks end their season at home Wednesday against Toronto.

Woodson says his preference is to shut Anthony down unless Anthony asks to play, and even then Woodson says that "I'm going to tell him I'm not going to play him. That's what I'm going to do."

Anthony is missing the playoffs for the first time in his 11-year career. He has said he plans to become a free agent in July.

Woodson also will decide before the game if Amare Stoudemire will play.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom