Wednesday Articles | Syracusefan.com

Wednesday Articles

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
I am filling in temporarily for OE as he recovers from surgery. Get well soon Dan.

SU News

14753372-mmmain.jpg

AJ Long

SU Frosh QB AJ Long is a 'Little Bit Ahead' of Where QBs Coach Thought He Would Be (PS; Mink)

Then you remember that A.J. Long had planned it this way, a shrewd stratagem that manifested itself in Saturday's spring scrimmage, when he completed 10-of-15 passes for 82 yards and led the second-team offense out on the field and into the end zone for the game's first touchdown drive.

Long enrolled in January at Syracuse in order to better acclimate himself into the program and campus and to compete for a role by fall. He entered the final day of spring ball as the team's No. 2 quarterback based on Lester's stat sheet, but that job remains unsettled heading into summer workouts. Still, after 15 practices, Long has closed the gap between the redshirt freshmen quarterbacks he's competing with.

"He was a little bit ahead of where I thought," said Lester, the team's quarterbacks coach. "It will be interesting to see for him what he's like as we give him more stuff."

Perimeter Blocking Will be Essential Skill for WRs in New SU Offense (PS; Mink)

Syracuse football fans who made the trek to the Carrier Dome for Saturday's spring game likely left with the impression the offense will feature a heavy dose of bubble screens and short flares out wide.

Second-year offensive coordinator George McDonald did not quell such thinkingwith his comments after the scrimmage, saying Syracuse is a "read-option team that gets the ball on the perimeter."

Transcript of Yesterday's Chat with PS SU Football Beat Writer Nate Mink (PS; Mink)

greg:
starting secondary and top 2 reserves for that unit come villanova?

Tuesday April 22, 2014 1:05

Nate Mink:
Putting me on the spot, Greg. I believe Julian Whigham, Brandon Reddish, Durell Eskridge are locks to start the opener. Darius Kelly, Ritchy Desir will both play a ton at safety. I think Wayne Morgan and Chauncey Scissum also play.

Tuesday April 22, 2014 1:06

Jeff:
Where was Ryan Norton on Saturday?

Tuesday April 22, 2014 1:07

Nate Mink:
Hey Jeff, I did not notice Norton on the sideline and his name does not appear in the box score. Not sure yet what exactly is up with that.

nfl_u_beasley_600x400.jpg

Sean Hickey

Sean Hickey, Strongest Man in College Football? (ESPN; Adelson)

During winter conditioning, Hickey worked his legs until he could barely walk with a combination of strength training and body building exercises. On Tuesdays, he concentrated on heavy squatting, then did an extra circuit of leg extensions, leg presses and leg curls. On Fridays, he would do more manual exercise like jumps and split squats to get blood flowing into his muscles. Then Saturdays, he would condition his legs to get ready for another grueling workout the following week.

He also has added five pounds and is up to 299, with the goal to play at 305 when the season begins. So far during spring practice, Hickey has felt a difference on the field.

“Definitely I can see it in my movement, it allows me to play lower,” Hickey says.

Terrel Hunt Poised to Emerge Among ACC Counterparts (sujuiceonline.com; Auger)

What a difference a year makes for Scott Shafer and the Syracuse Orange football team.

At the conclusion of spring practice this past weekend, Shafer’s program possesses traction and momentum in the form of a thrilling win against Minnesota in the Texas Bowl, a talented recruiting class partially harvested from fertile grounds as Florida and Illinois and an offense that’s comfortable with George McDonald’s up-tempo schemes.

This wasn’t the case last spring. After former coach Doug Marrone and most of the staff shuffled off to the Buffalo and the NFL allure, Shafer had to quickly assemble a coaching staff and salvage Syracuse’s recruiting class. The focus of spring practice on the offensive side of the ball was how to replace quarterback Ryan Nassib and receivers Alec Lemon and Marcus Sales. Terrel Hunt emerged as the front-runner to replace Nassib but he still had to earn it when the pre-season rolled around. Though Oklahoma transfer Drew Allen earned the starting nod in the season opener, Hunt replaced the ineffective Allen during the third game of the year and didn’t look back.

Ranking the ACC QBs for 2014 (athlonsports.com; Lassan)

8. Terrel Hunt, Syracuse (JR)
Syracuse opened the Scott Shafer era with a quarterback battle between Hunt and Oklahoma transfer Drew Allen. Allen started the first three games before Hunt claimed the No. 1 spot on the depth chart, and the New York native finished the year on a high note by throwing for 188 yards and adding 74 yards and two touchdowns on the ground against Minnesota in the Texas Bowl. Hunt ended 2013 with 1,638 passing yards and 10 touchdowns, while adding 500 yards and seven scores on the ground. In a positive sign for Syracuse in 2014, Hunt was arguably playing at his best in the final three games and completed over 60 percent of his passes during that span. Hunt threw only three touchdown passes and tossed eight picks in ACC games, but he should improve on those totals in 2014 with a full offseason to work as the No. 1 quarterback.

-843b2abc7306cb0c.jpg

Nolan Borgersen

Profile on NJ's #33 Best Recruit Nolan Borgersen (nj.com; Hunt)

Synopsis: Borgersen is ranked No. 33 in the Feb. 7 edition of the NJ.com Top 50. He has yet to secure his first FBS offer, but has received steady interest from Maryland, Boston College, Michigan State, Duke, Northwestern and Syracuse. Football Championship Series programs Monmouth and New Hampshire have extended tenders.

Coach's comments: "He's as competitive of a kid as I've coached in 15 years. He does everything right. From a leadership standpoint, he is everything you want in a football player. His route running is tremendous. And he's run 4.5 (second 40-yard dashes) at both Rutgers and Boston College. So as far as speed, I think he's been overlooked. He dunks a basketball pretty easily. He's a mainstay on our basketball team too, and we've been to the sectional championship game two years in a row. He's really overlooked as far as his athletic ability. He set state records for yardage and touchdowns last year. I don't know what else he has to do. But I think when he gets in front of these guys at camps, it'll definitely play itself out."– Westwood head coach Vito Campanile

14753373-mmmain.jpg

Drew Wiley

Profile on NJ's # 42 Best Recruit Drew Wiley (nj.com; Hunt)

Synopsis: Wiley is ranked No. 42 in the Feb. 7 edition of the NJ.com Top 50. He has yet to secure his first FBS offer, but has received steady interest from Syracuse, Pitt, Boston College, UConn and Old Dominion.

Coach's comments: "First, Drew is a great kid who just happens to be a fantastic athlete for us. Given his size, athleticism and speed, he's a mismatch nightmare on offense. He's got excellent hands. He can play the slot, wide receiver, fullback, tight end and tailback. He's a six-one-and-a-half, 220-pounder, right now. He ran a 4.63 (40-yard dash) at Penn State about a year ago. And on defense, as a middle linebacker this past year, he just flies to the ball. He can play the whole field, sideline-to-sideline. He's a student of the game, understands his role and just loves playing the game, so it's a pleasure to coach him."– Hopewell Valley head coach Dave Caldwell

Other

Bills HC Doug Marrone Has Cancerous Mole Removed (buffalobills.com)

"During a recent doctor's visit, it was discovered that I had a cancerous mole on my skin, which has since been removed. The only follow up required is to have my moles checked every three months and that basically is the end of the story. The recent extraction procedure will have no effect on my ability to coach the team moving forward."

uga-unis.jpg

Georgia Has New Uniforms But Did Not Change Their Classic Look

College Football Uniform Updates for 2014 (AJC)

I love having Parris, Moore and Provo out there blocking on those perimeter passes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom