Wednesday | Syracusefan.com

Wednesday

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Recruiting

13813466-mmmain.jpg

How SU Football Commit Troy Henderson is Connected to Ernie Davis (PS; Bailey)

Troy Henderson remembers watching "The Express" with his grandfather, Richard Henderson, shortly after the movie came out in 2008.

"That's your Uncle Ernie," Troy recalled his grandfather telling him.

Soon after, Henderson learned that Davis was childhood companions with his grandfather, growing up together in Uniontown, Pa., a small industrial city about 45 miles south of Pittsburgh. And a few years later, Henderson is now verbally committed to play linebacker at Syracuse.

But the two families are not related by blood, the elder Henderson said in a phone interview on Saturday. Richard and Ernie lived across the street from each other on 7th Avenue.

"I was quite older than he was, but we played like we were all the same age because we were all in the same neighborhood," Henderson said. "You lived across the street or up the next road from each other. We were like a group of community kids."

SU

Best Quotes From Scott Shafer at 2014 ACC Football Kickoff (PS; Bailey)

So without further ado, here are some of Shafer's best quotes from Monday:

On how he's assembled his coaching staff:

"It was easy. I just waited for them to call. We all played together or most of us coached together in the past. So if you look at our staff, we have George McDonald and I have coached, this is our third job together. We were at Northern Illinois, Western Michigan and here. Chuck Bullough and I were together at Western Michigan. Timmy Daoust and I were together at Northern Illinois, Western Michigan and here. Tim Lester and I were together at Western Michigan and here. Joe Adam and I were together here and Western Michigan. DeAndre Smith and I coached together at Northern Illinois. Bobby's one of the newbies, Bobby Acosta doing a great job. Clark Lea, that was Chuck said, 'You've got to hire Clark.' I said, 'OK, I trust you.' So I hired him.

14481798-mmmain.jpg

SU WR Brisly Estime Ran a 4.42 Laser Timed 40 at Practice on Monday (PS; Bailey)

Frosh LB Jonathan Thomas Ran a 4.5...

Last season, Brisly Estime was one of the fastest players on the Syracuse roster as a freshman.

His opportunities to showcase that athleticism were limited as he learned the playbook, but his final burst ultimately set Syracuse up for its game-winning touchdown in the Texas Bowl.

Now he returns as a sophomore with much higher expectations. And, according to strength and conditioning coach Will Hicks, he's faster too.

Estime and the rest of his SU teammates were timed in the 40-yard dash at practice on Monday. He posted a video of his run on Instagram before later taking it down. He wrote that he was clocked at 4.42 seconds — a mark only 12 players beat at the 2014 NFL Draft Combine.

Why Does SU's Break Up with IMG Matter? A Look at Multimedia Rights and College Football (PS; Carlson)

Syracuse's termination of its contract with IMG and its ongoing negotiations for a new multimedia rights agreement, could rival the importance of any decision a football or basketball coach has made over the past season.

Need proof?

A Google search of the most recent multimedia rights agreements signed by colleges shows a wide spectrum of ranges.

While comparing rights is difficult because different schools include different aspects, the reported difference between Alabama and Cincinnati is $12.5 million annually, nearly the cost of Syracuse's brand new indoor practice venue every single year.

Cincinnati reportedly makes $2.5 million per season from IMG. Alabama makes $15 million from Learfield, the largest deal in the country.

Syracuse's numbers aren't public but its numbers are far closer to Cincinnati than Alabama and likely resembled Rutgers' $3.1 million deal before it was renegotiated last year.

Among Syracuse's ACC rivals, North Carolina brings in $7.5 million annually. Florida State receives $6.6 million. That inequality poses a significant obstacle for the Orange in its quest for ACC championships.

By terminating its agreement with IMG two weeks ago, Syracuse is looking to close that gap.

Do You Remember When? #10 SU Plays #1 Florida State in 1991 (cnycentral.com; Tamurian)

If you type in "Syracuse Football" on YouTube, you're bound to find some historical gems.

I did just that the other day and came across the fun video you see here.

In 1991, #10 Syracuse Football had just come off clobbering #5 Florida (yes, the Gators) in the Carrier Dome 38-21.

By the way, Florida has not played a northern team on the road since their dismantling in the Loud House.

Las Vegas Has No Respect for Syracuse Football (TNIAAM; Cassillo)

Rabble Rabble Rabble

Predictions have been rolling in for Syracuse football in recent weeks, and there are plenty more to come. Most have seen the Orange as a mid-tier ACC squad and one that will play in a bowl game of some sort. This week, the ACC media, now that they've gotten to know us, saw us as a fourth-place team in the Atlantic Division this fall -- and again, one that seems like they're headed to a bowl game.

So color me surprised when coming across this today, from Bovada:

wut.

I know, I know... Vegas doesn't know everything and this means nothing in the big scheme of things. But who sat down with a straight face and felt a team returning 17 starters from last year's 7-6 squad is likely to be hanging around the five-win mark?

15459260-mmmain.jpg

Siriki Diabate, aka Diet Tab, Assists Bills During Training Camp (PS; Domin)

Former Syracuse linebacker Siriki Diabate is assisting the Buffalo Bills’ coaching staff during training camp at St. John Fisher College in Pittsford, N.Y.

Diabate, who played for Bills coach Doug Marrone, joins Chris McAlister and Myles Russ as 2014 Bill Walsh Minority Coaching Fellowship participants, the team announced Tuesday.

Former Syracuse running back Antown Bailey helped coach the Bills last summer.

More from the Bills news release:

Diabate will work with the Bills’ linebackers. A graduate of Syracuse University, Diabate was a 2012 team co-captain and led an Orange defense which ranked sixth nationally in tackles for a loss. Over his two-year career at Syracuse, Diabate totaled 101 tackles, 13.5 tackles for a loss, one forced fumble and one fumble recovery in 24 games. Diabate is currently a Graduate Assistant at his alma mater working with the linebackers.

Would a Rewards Program Increase Attendance at SU Football Games (PS; Axe)

Life is good for the National Football League as it has never seen higher revenues and television ratings than it currently has.

The issue is a growing trend where the league is having trouble getting fans to leave the comfort of their homes to go to games live.

Drunken fan behavior at NFL stadiums is another growing concern for the league that is keeping fans from attending games.

The New York Jets are trying to counter both of those issues by offering a new rewards program to season ticket holders that show up and behave themselves while at MetLife Stadium in the 2014 season.

The high-end rewards include Super Bowl tickets and a trip to a road game on the team plane.

Wouldn't Shafer vs Swinney or Williams vs Marrone Make a Nice Feud? (PS; Poliquin)

Apparently Scott Shafer and Dabo Swinney and Mike Williams and Doug Marrone paid no attention to the memo … or text … or tweet … or whatever. Apparently, none of them is interested in having the kind of fun that can only be had with the flicking of a spitball or two.

What was it that Leslie Charteris, the dude who wrote "The Saint," once declared? Oh, yeah … this: "Nothing makes such good copy as a feud."

ACC

Miami a Surprise Choice as Preseason Favorite to Win the ACC Coastal Division (ESPN; Adelson)

We can all agree just about every team in the cluttered Coastal Division has a chance to win it.

Yet, it was still a surprise to see Miami selected as the media’s preseason choice to play in its first ACC championship game. Sure, the Canes have a shot just like the other five teams that earned first-place votes, but it is hard to see how they have the best shot to make it to Charlotte.

Duke is my choice to finish first. Here is why I believe the Blue Devils have more of an edge than Miami headed into the season.

1. Quarterback. Duke is one of three teams in the league to return its starting quarterback. Senior Anthony Boone showed tremendous growth through 2013, and has used his fourth-quarter performance in the Chick-Fil-A Bowl as an opportunity to grow and learn, too. Coach David Cutcliffe says Boone has taken on much more leadership, responsibility and accountability. He should, especially with Brandon Connette out of the mix.

15455800-mmmain.jpg

2014 ACC Preview: Improved Running Game Crucial for Defending Coastal Champ Duke (PS; Stevens)

The end of Duke's 18-year bowl drought in 2012 didn't do much to change external expectations of a program long known for its futility.

An ACC Coastal Division title and the first 10-win season, on the other hand, seems to have made a difference.

The Blue Devils were picked second in the division this season, both an acknowledgment for the work David Cutcliffe has put in with the program and the Blue Devils' proven ability to hang with much of jumbled Coastal.

A more informal show of respect? A large crowd of reporters around Cutcliffe at Monday's ACC Kickoff, a shift from the often empty seats around him early in his tenure.

FSU Will Hire Sexual Violence Prevention Coordinators in Wake of Jameis Winston Case (PS; Carlson)

Facing a federal investigation into its handling of sexual abuse allegations and a prestige fallout in the wake of the Jameis Winston rape accusations, Florida State's interim president told a local paper she would hire sexual violence prevention coordinators before the school year starts.

Garnett Stokes, the temporary president at FSU, told the Tallahasee Democrat that the school intends to hire a pair of sexual violence prevention coordinators and a Title IX director within the next five weeks.

Florida State was recently included on a list of 55 schools whose efforts in sexual violence investigations are being questioned by the Department of Education.The list was made public in an effort by President Obama's administration to shine light on the subject of sexual violence.

College

PS College Football Preview/Haiku Fest: Nos. 51-55 (Maryland's B1G Adventure Should Be Similar to Their ACC Adventures; PS; Stevens)

55. MARYLAND

ACC fans largely seem to think Maryland will fall flat on its face with its move to the Big Ten.

Maryland fans largely seem to think the ACC is a lesser league than the one their school is joining.

So what will happen at the end of this season if and when the Terrapins' first foray into the former land of Legends and Leaders results in the same 7-6 record that Randy Edsall's team put up last year?

Whether it's in a football conference or not, Maryland's resources aren't going to allow it to consistently contend for 10-win seasons. But there's no reason that with some talent, a not-too-daunting nonconference schedule and maybe a little luck that the Terps can't resume churning out fairly regular bowl bids, as they did while playing in the postseason seven times between 2001 and 2010.

Maryland, with a sixth-year quarterback (C.J. Brown) and one of the best receiver tandems in the Big Ten (Stefon Diggs and Deon Long), has a chance to get off to a decent start before the realities of its new league start to set in. But barring serious injuries (something that can never be counted out when it comes to the Terps), this bunch should make it to a second consecutive bowl game.

Maryland in haiku:

Big Ten home debut
Here come many red-clad fans
Buckeyes will stuff Byrd

Last edited:
I'm going to sound like a broken record, but THANK YOU for continuing the OE Daily Articles sutomcat. So incredibly informative and they go perfect with morning coffee!

And, he came up with a perfect way to honor Dan's memory by labeling it "Orangeyes Daily Articles." I am assuming this was sutomcat's idea, but kudos to whoever else may have been involved in that.

You hear a lot of young football players mentioning The Express as a reason they considered coming here. I guess the movie has done us some good. I just wish it had been a little more accurate.

Our strategy this your should be to get the ball in the hands of The Salt Badger as often as possible.

Last edited:
In brisly and boyld we trust

I'm going to sound like a broken record, but THANK YOU for continuing the OE Daily Articles sutomcat. So incredibly informative and they go perfect with morning coffee!

Yeah...I didn't want to sound that way either...but was thinking the same thing. For the new "Fans" that join the board, Tomcat will be to them what OE is/was to us...and it really hasn't skipped a beat...thanks again for doing what you do!!!