Welcome to the World's Most Empty Arena... | Syracusefan.com

Welcome to the World's Most Empty Arena...

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt
Ralph Vacchiano ‏@RVacchianoNYDN 2m
Just 22 minutes until tipoff of Syracuse-Iowa in the @2KClassic at @TheGarden... Plenty of seats still available ...

B2_t3yBCMAA1rWg.jpg

sad. cuse at the garden is usually like a knick playoff game atmosphere.

sad. cuse at the garden is usually like a knick playoff game atmosphere.
Imagine if Cuse wasn't playing. This tournament should have been Fri/Sat or at least 7 and 9 tonight.

Heading into the subway now. Who schedules a game at 5pm on a Friday? Don't think any of my friends will be able to make it unfortunately.

Lawrinson14 said:
Yup. I was planning on going if we had won, but im currently stuck at work.

Same. Was really looking forward to a Friday nite cuse game at the garden against a top 10 team. Ohhhhhh well.

Gates weren't opened until 25 mins before tip.

I went to an SU/Washington preseason tourney consolation game at MSG in either 2007 or 2008. This reminds me of that- there wasn't anyone at that game either

raf4488 said:
I went to an SU/Washington preseason tourney consolation game at MSG in either 2007 or 2008. This reminds me of that- there wasn't anyone at that game either

07! There were maybe 2000 people there for that Friday afternoon game after thanksgiving...with no beer sales because the NCAA is evil.

Yes, and it took awhile for fans to get seated. Still, was pretty spotty crowd til halftime.

Okay, glad you posted this. Was tempted to rip into Ralph V's tweet (and I actually follow Ralph as a Giants fan). I had to work today, but snuck out at 4:30 and walked in at 4:55. There were many more people there at that point (maybe a few thousand). Was disappointed at the time, but 2nd half was much better. Honestly, I think it was just the logistics of a 5pm gametime. People aren't going to waste taking a full vacation day at work so it comes down if they can get to Garden anywhere near 5pm. And keep in mind we were not only 5 point favorites last night, but usually always win the first night in general (we have won most of these early tourneys as of late). So my point is that many folks would not have planned in advance to take Friday off, thus, if they thought it was impossible to get to MSG anywhere near 5, they just decided to skip it in person tonight.

Most importantly, and as Shermthegeneral commented on earlier, it is asinine that the first game was a scheduled 5pm tip time (he suggested 6pm). I think even 5:30pm would be enough to have an impact (although I realize everything gets backed up from when the ESPN family of networks wants to show the Championship game).

Okay, glad you posted this. Was tempted to rip into Ralph V's tweet (and I actually follow Ralph as a Giants fan). I had to work today, but snuck out at 4:30 and walked in at 4:55. There were many more people there at that point (maybe a few thousand). Was disappointed at the time, but 2nd half was much better. Honestly, I think it was just the logistics of a 5pm gametime. People aren't going to waste taking a full vacation day at work so it comes down if they can get to Garden anywhere near 5pm. And keep in mind we were not only 5 point favorites last night, but usually always win the first night in general (we have won most of these early tourneys as of late). So my point is that many folks would not have planned in advance to take Friday off, thus, if they thought it was impossible to get to MSG anywhere near 5, they just decided to skip it in person tonight.

Most importantly, and as Shermthegeneral commented on earlier, it is asinine that the first game was a scheduled 5pm tip time (he suggested 6pm). I think even 5:30pm would be enough to have an impact (although I realize everything gets backed up from when the ESPN family of networks wants to show the Championship game).

Two things probably drove the times: 1). TV schedules, and 2). I'm sure everyone was thinking just like you, that Syracuse would be in the late game and so the undercard was going to be a ghost town anyway, so who cares if it is at 5pm. Shame for McCullough's only two MSG games at Syracuse to be an ugly loss and and an empty arena with no buzz.

there were more people who came in ---that pic is some what misleading---but certainly not a typical su crowd. i had dinner at stadium 31 across from the garden, as usual. highly recommend it. reasonably priced, good food, make good drinks and user friendly. drove from home in bethlehem pa. to new brunswick nj , took train to garden. actual travel time 2hrs---not bad.

I might be terrible at judging attendance, but by the second half I didn't think the crowd was appreciably smaller than it was the night before for the later game.
Would have liked to see more people there Thursday; I get it being a little empty considering the game time (i missed the first few minutes), but a ton of the second level was empty on one side of the arena.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom