Class of 2017 - Well, we're at that point of the summer ... | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 Well, we're at that point of the summer ...

IthacaMatt

Old Timer / Unofficial Contributor for 25+ years
where we are looking at the back-up plans, and getting those new offers out there.

The Quade Qrew is dragging it out. Diallo is a freak athlete, but I like Tucker's outside shot a lot. Green reminds me of that kid Duke had last year at PG. I would love to get Quade because he seems like several players who are interested in us might fall as dominoes, but that time seems to have passed, or at least the window is closing, I'm afraid. It has taken too long.

So, of the second group of kids we are now looking at, it seems like this would be the best of what's around:

PG: Matt Coleman, Oak Hill
SG: Alex O'Connell (GA)
SF: Jordan Tucker, White Plains
PF: Nick Richards, St. Pat's, NJ
C: Bourama Sidibe, St. Benedict's, NJ

We might even add another shooting guard as a grad transfer. This would be a very good class, IMO, although lacking in that elite star. Maybe Tucker could be that scorer, maybe Coleman that elite PG.

Any thoughts?

where we are looking at the back-up plans, and getting those new offers out there.

The Quade Qrew is dragging it out. Diallo is a freak athlete, but I like Tucker's outside shot a lot. Green reminds me of that kid Duke had last year at PG. I would love to get Quade because he seems like several players who are interested in us might fall as dominoes, but that time seems to have passed, or at least the window is closing, I'm afraid. It has taken too long.

So, of the second group of kids we are now looking at, it seems like this would be the best of what's around:

We might even add another shooting guard as a grad transfer. This would be a very good class, IMO, although lacking in that elite star. Maybe Tucker could be that scorer, maybe Coleman that elite PG.

Any thoughts?

White - gone
Gillon - gone
DCII - gone
TRob - gone
Lydon - possibly gone
Battle - possibly gone
Chuckwu - back
Howard - back
Moyer - back
Thompson - back

Assuming things play out as people expect and we lose both of Lydon and Battle, I could see us going in for one or two grad transfers again next season. Even if we have a decent haul coming in as frosh, we would only have four returning players...likely none from among the top 6 minutes getters from the prior season.

Might make sense to bring in a couple of grad transfers just to have some experience on the roster.

Any thoughts?
Most kids aren't committing this early anymore. I'm sure the coaching staff is weighing all their options and have a plan. Plus they know our team will be good again this year. Who wouldn't want to play for the Cuse.

This would be a very good class, IMO, although lacking in that elite star.

Any thoughts?

Quade and/or Hami would great gets, no doubt. But the above players you listed as a group are all 5 or 4 star prospects depending on what site you look at. If we land all those guys, that's a win for us!

Live period is about over. It still early in recruitment. Kids will start narrowing their lists soon and taking more visits.

Don't forget Lonnie or Randolph. Bamba too.. especially if we get that Q commit (he is our ultimate domino). Duval is a potential dangerous situation, but he is a stud. Thompson connection is still out there.. you never know. And we're new on Brissett. Plus other new guys will likely emerge.. and get offered.

Last edited:
Live period is about over. It still early in recruitment. Kids will start narrowing their lists soon and taking more visits.

Plus some of these kids will be on campus for the Elite camp where JAB will be showing off his latest Gold Medal. I'm sure the staff is feeling extremely bullish.

We have some intriguing options at SG. Obviously, Diallo is a highly rated in state kid. But between O'Connel, Thompson, etc. it seems like we have some very highly rated options. Need to land at least one of those kids.

We have some intriguing options at SG. Obviously, Diallo is a highly rated in state kid. But between O'Connel, Thompson, etc. it seems like we have some very highly rated options. Need to land at least one of those kids.

I have my doubts that Diallo ever plays college. I'd be fine with O'Connel or Thompson and we are still in the mix with Walker & Randolf. The good news is that we will only have Howard returning at the guard spot. At least two incoming guards will be guaranteed big minutes. I think we need to bring in a PG and 2 shooting guards unless we get Tucker and the staff feels he can back up the 2.

We likely return only 4 guys, so we are looking at 5 freshman maybe 6 and likely a grad transfer or two.

I have my doubts that Diallo ever plays college. I'd be fine with O'Connel or Thompson and we are still in the mix with Walker & Randolf. The good news is that we will only have Howard returning at the guard spot. At least two incoming guards will be guaranteed big minutes. I think we need to bring in a PG and 2 shooting guards unless we get Tucker and the staff feels he can back up the 2.

We likely return only 4 guys, so we are looking at 5 freshman maybe 6 and likely a grad transfer or two.

Was disappointed to see Platek commit to North Carolina. I thought he was a guy we might add to round out the class, be a four-year program guy who might end up starting two.

Looks like he was better than I thought.

Any thoughts?
That second group, would be a unreal class. Please, it takes time. Nothing is dragging out. It is still July. Have anyone we were after committed elsewhere yet? I guess it is dragging out for the other schools recruiting those guys.

Was disappointed to see Platek commit to North Carolina. I thought he was a guy we might add to round out the class, be a four-year program guy who might end up starting two.

Looks like he was better than I thought.
Both Platek and Huerter blew up right on front of us. Very few saw it was going to happen as quick as it did.

Don't forget Lonnie or Randolph. Bamba too.. especially if we get that Q commit (he is our ultimate domino). Duval is a potential dangerous situation, but he is a stud. Thompson connection is still out there.. you never know. And we're new on Brissett. Plus other new guys will likely emerge.. and get offered.

Bamba has shown little interest and didn't come up to visit with the gang recently.
I thought I read that Randolph was a Louisville lean.
Yes, we could take 2 guys who are wings, and Lonnie is a good player, no doubt. Just haven't heard much about his interest level for a while.

Any thoughts?

I wish we had one or two guys by now. Maybe the coaches were too busy with 2016-17 grad transfers this month. Hopefully, once the coaches put their full attention on 2017-18 we will see some commits.

I wish we had one or two guys by now. Maybe the coaches were too busy with 2016-17 grad transfers this month. Hopefully, once the coaches put their full attention on 2017-18 we will see some commits.

I think everyone was hoping for something to pop coming out of that huge recruiting weekend we had back in June.

I'm pretty confident in saying that if Green had pulled the trigger, we'd have 2-3 other commits topple like dominoes by now in the class of 2017.

We DID land Gillon / Tauren Thompson from that weekend, so it wasn't a flop. But we're still waiting for that first 2017 domino to topple our way just to get the ball rolling.

I think everyone was hoping for something to pop coming out of that huge recruiting weekend we had back in June.

I'm pretty confident in saying that if Green had pulled the trigger, we'd have 2-3 other commits topple like dominoes by now in the class of 2017.

We DID land Gillon / Tauren Thompson from that weekend, so it wasn't a flop. But we're still waiting for that first 2017 domino to topple our way just to get the ball rolling.

Too... many... colloquialisms... can't breathe... must... read some Tolstoy... <gasp, wheeze>

At this point I don't expect any movement for 2017 until September, after Elite Camp.

I think people are nervous because we are accustomed to having at least one or two guys locked up for over a year.

Recruiting has changed drastically over the past two years. Players try to collect as many offers as possible now.

we should in theory be a top 5 team all year long, at least the 2nd 1/2 of the year - this alone is what is going to bring us greatness in the 2017 class

we are setup super well to be in the forefront of the rankings and media all year long - when we beat duke, quade will commit

Any thoughts?

If the new trend for top recruits is to wait it out, then a strong season or start to the season might help. If the staff can show how they can integrate a bunch of new and first-year guys into the lineup without many hiccups, that could tip things in their favor. I too believe in the domino theory but momentum can be generated in a bunch of different ways. The top kids generally want to play together and they want to win big.

Any thoughts?

Check out the number of offers KU has made:

Verbal Commits

There will be plenty of room at the Inn for next season. I think we need to land a couple of these B-listers ASAP. It is not as if we would be out of scholies if some of the A listers eventually ended up choosing the Cuse. I do not want to see a situation where if we miss out on an A-listers that the better B-listers have gone elsewhere (cause these guys would be on somebody else's A-list).

I really do not like that we do not yet have a single commitment for 2017 when we need to bring in a class of at least five and maybe more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom