Well... | Syracusefan.com

Well...

tep624

Living Legend
Where to start?

This might be the worst performance I've seen out of a Syracuse team that I've actually watched (I started watching in 86/87 when I was 9-10) where we actually won the game. So all things aside, it's certainly better to watch a painful performance like that and get a W, but man was that painful.

Horribly called game by the coordinators, I'm not exactly sure what either one of them were thinking. Biggest disappointment by far for me was the OL. There is no excuse for us not to be able to get good push forward on running plays against any FCS teams. The size advantage we had was obvious. I was really confused by the Offensive play calling all game and our inability to contain the QB was so frustrating - like a broken record of over pursuit.

Only bright spots for me - Norton made me feel much more comfortable about the kicking game, Broyld and Gulley looked good and should have gotten the ball much more than they did, and I thought Wilson looked good as a green backup except when he was being tasked to throw down field. I couldn't really understand why we didn't just stick to running and short passes while he was in the game, he looked really good on the scoring drive he led when we did that. If it works and you're up by 10 points, keep doing it until it doesn't work.

I'll chalk this up to coming out flat the first week, Hunt doing something incredibly selfish, the coordinators having a lousy gameplan, and maybe the team in general looking ahead. Hopefully this week is a time for ass kicking and reflection, and they come out next week and show everyone how they're capable of playing.

A win is a win, but if we play like this the rest of the way this is the only time we'll experience winning this year, save for maybe Wake Forest.

Spot on. Agree with everything. I am so disappointed. I had a hard time cheering at the end I was so depressed.

Spot on. Agree with everything. I am so disappointed. I had a hard time cheering at the end I was so depressed.

One of the other oddball things - we score our first TD on a 69 yard run, then it almost seemed like we just abandoned the run after that. I was scratching my head the rest of the first half on that one.

We simply got out coached by an FCS staff. Way out couched. Nova was ready to play - we were not. They prepped perfectly for our tendencies and we obliged then over and over again. When the announcer (who does know what he is talking about) calls out your DC for not adjusting to the obvious and repeatedly calls your offensive plays accurately, something is wrong.

The only explanation I can think of is that we thought we were bigger, stronger and faster and could just impose our will. Well, Nova did and Orange not so much. I only hope this is a wake up call for Shafer. Time to bring the family around the dinner table and discuss some family values.

Last edited:
Joe Adam was exposed as a D3 coach last night and I don't care about about the OL injuries. The sweeps by Morris II were horrible with Trudo running in the backfield and the Nova DT's slicing under their blocks for 5 yd losses. Real bad coaching technique...

We simply got out coached by an FCS staff. Way out couched. Nova was ready to play - we were not. They prepped perfectly for our tendencies and we obliged then over and over again. When the announcer (who does know what he is talking about) calls out your DC for not adjusting to the obvious and repeatedly calls your offensive plays accurately, something is wrong.

The only explanation I can think of is that we thought we were bigger, stronger and faster and could just impose our will. Well, Nova did and Orange not so much. I only hope this is a wake up call for Shafer. Time to bring the family around the dinner table and discuss some family values.

Yeah I was just puzzled, we have the big run running through the tackles, then it seemed like we were trying to focus on sweeps - which again I didn't really get. We should have been pounding through the tackles and wearing their D down, after all don't we have a NFL caliber OT to run behind? Like you say - hopefully a wake up call.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom