wes johnson gets deal with under armour | Syracusefan.com

wes johnson gets deal with under armour

Glad to hear it, but it is strange in about five different ways.

They probably maxed out their endorsement money on Steph and realized they needed a few more athletes in their stable and this was the best they could afford (no offense Wes).

Why do the deal or why is it strange?
Why do the deal with Wes. I'm sure there are younger more marketable basketball players then Wes.

Why do the deal with Wes. I'm sure there are younger more marketable basketball players then Wes.

Well it's not like every NBA player is without a shoe deal, and a few have deals with Chinese companies. UA is trying to increase their reach so they probably aren't going to be too picky.

Young player without a shoe deal, who's not terrible, and in a large market.

I agree it's a little odd, but it's not totally crazy either.

Not totally crazy. Just out of no where. Did he get a shoe deal after being drafted #4?

Wes is capable of many highlight real plays. He is a high flying athlete. Better to have him wearing your shoes than some big plodding center, those guys get New Balance endorsements.

Wes is capable of many highlight real plays. He is a high flying athlete. Better to have him wearing your shoes than some big plodding center, those guys get New Balance endorsements.

So the only choices left were Wes Johnson or a big plodding center?

They probably maxed out their endorsement money on Steph and realized they needed a few more athletes in their stable and this was the best they could afford (no offense Wes).

they also have brady and spieth which makes 3 of probably the top 10 marketable people on the planet.

Yeah but this is clearly a flier for them. And I'm sure it isn't costing them very much, but in that scenario you'd expect them to a) take younger players like the other two they signed and b) take a guy who went to a UA college (again like the other two). If I'm going to take a flier why not also show some love to a guy who has been in my pipeline since HS. It is another draw to get kids into my sponsored colleges.

Wes helps them touch the Syracuse NCAA market and a large L.A. market with all eyes on the Clippers. High flying athlete. Not a terrible idea.

Its really not odd unless they paid him a boatload of money. Get as many nba players to wear your shoes is probably a good marketing strategy.

I said Wes was going to start in July when he signed and nobody believed me! :noidea: