Western Michigan Scouting Report | Syracusefan.com

Western Michigan Scouting Report

Marsh01

Living Legend
was able to access my work stuff. Here is the skinny on this team

1st place Mid-American Conference (West Division)
23-9 record
14-4 conference record
RPI - 82
BPI - 127
All Time tourney Record 2-3

Best wins this season

Akron twice
Toledo twice

BCS losses
Northwestern
Missouri

Starting 5

Shane Winnington - center - 6 11 245
Connor Tava - forward - 6 6 235
Tucker Haymond - forward 6 6 220
David Brown - guard - 6 4 205
Austin Richie - guard 6 3 185

Winnington is their big man who gets a double double almost every game (16 and 9). Brown is their other stud. MAC player of the year. Good shooter and we will need to really find him. Other than these 2 Haymond is the only other player that averages in double figures.

This team is not very athletic and heavily relies on these 2 players as their 1-2 punch.

They also turn the ball over 14 times a game which is a TON. Sloppy with the ball.

They mostly play man to man defense.

This is a very good matchup for us and if we can play defense and force turnovers we will win.

Last edited:
Your tidbit about their lack of athleticism makes me laugh, since Kellogg said they could beat us because they are "so athletic across that front line."

They sound like us - they beat themselves twice.

But they must be pretty good as those are their best wins!

I think he is talking about the other directional Michigan team (Eastern Michigan)!

GFTakedown said:
I think he is talking about the other directional Michigan team (Eastern Michigan)!

I know, just trying to have fun and bust chops

On WMU forum board, someone pointed out " WMU has seen that "type" of zone numerous occassions"

Righhht, its not EMU

Last edited:
This team is not very athletic and heavily relies on these 2 players as their 1-2 punch.

They also turn the ball over 14 times a game which is a TON. Sloppy with the ball.

They mostly play man to man defense.

This is a very good matchup for us and if we can play defense and force turnovers we will win.

Sounds like Vermont with Coppenrath and Sorrentine.

Nope. That Vermont team didn't turn the ball over...and they were playing their 3rd straight NCAA tournament, which is an important factor. Vermont came into that game knowing they could play with the big boys.

Browsing through their season stats…
Brown is clearly their stud (avg 19/game) - he's taken a ton of 3s (237 attempted on the year) but only hits those at about 32%. Their other guard, Richie, hits 3s at almost 42% - our guys are really going to have to be aware of him.
Looks like they also bring in a couple of guys off the bench who are 40% sharpshooters.

Full_Rebar said:
Nope. That Vermont team didn't turn the ball over...and they were playing their 3rd straight NCAA tournament, which is an important factor. Vermont came into that game knowing they could play with the big boys.

Exactly

Vermont had a 26 rpi that year. 26. They were an 11 or 10 seed and like you said were in the third year of a 3 year run.

Wouldn't count on lots of TOs. Since January, only two teams have turned it over more than their season average vs SU (Miami and BC) and they're 1-1 in those games. UVM was a stronger team but we've been beaten by two guys before.

Browsing through their season stats…
Brown is clearly their stud (avg 19/game) - he's taken a ton of 3s (237 attempted on the year) but only hits those at about 32%. Their other guard, Richie, hits 3s at almost 42% - our guys are really going to have to be aware of him.
Looks like they also bring in a couple of guys off the bench who are 40% sharpshooters.

This does concern me a bit. We can have fits with those hot 3 pt. shooters.

Like coach hop said on the Cuse hangout, if we make more shots than they do, we'll win...I want to see us come out and make some shots...the rest will follow.

Guaranteed that Marsh watches more hoops than Kellogg
I know. I was commenting that it makes me laugh at Kellogg, not Marsh.

Also, in January Western Michigan scored a whopping 39 points against Rob Murphy's 2-3 at Eastern Michigan.

They've also lost to Hawaii, Bowling Green, and Buffalo among others.

Buffalo, ladies and gentlemen. Buffalo. Any team that loses to TrueBlue's team is no real threat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DolphinDad

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom