What a Joke... | Syracusefan.com

What a Joke...

QManCuse

Walk On
All these items coming out about what's going on at Ole Miss football, cash payments, loans, free rental cars, etc., etc., and these are things that were found out through independent sources. We self report 2 or 3 relatively minor infractions, and get absolutely hammered. In light of all this, can a reasonable person deduce that SEC football players among other conferences, write their own term papers, get soft jobs at the YMCA and like places of employment, and have some minor drug violations along the way? Can you imagine all these SEC teams standing in line at the NCAA office waiting to self report their violations? It's all about the football $$$ the NCAA would lose if they got after these programs. I understand that. However, how can you with a straight face, start taking 4 seasons of wins away from a hall of fame head coach, scholarship reductions, tournament banishment, etc. for minor infractions that we reported? Are you serious?

It just highlights what many of us recognized a long time ago: as a rules enforcement agency, the NCAA is a fraudulent sham. They selectively choose which schools to go after, willingly look the other way when institutional malfeasance happens on a grand scale, hammer teams for relatively minor infractions by comparison, and are completely arbitrary and capricious in meting out punishment.

All these items coming out about what's going on at Ole Miss football, cash payments, loans, free rental cars, etc., etc., and these are things that were found out through independent sources. We self report 2 or 3 relatively minor infractions, and get absolutely hammered. In light of all this, can a reasonable person deduce that SEC football players among other conferences, write their own term papers, get soft jobs at the YMCA and like places of employment, and have some minor drug violations along the way? Can you imagine all these SEC teams standing in line at the NCAA office waiting to self report their violations? It's all about the football $$$ the NCAA would lose if they got after these programs. I understand that. However, how can you with a straight face, start taking 4 seasons of wins away from a hall of fame head coach, scholarship reductions, tournament banishment, etc. for minor infractions that we reported? Are you serious?
it was a witchhunt over bernie fine after the NCAA dropped the ball on sandusky, everyone knows it. i hope boeheim has a book ready to publish the day he retires.

It just highlights what many of us recognized a long time ago: as a rules enforcement agency, the NCAA is a fraudulent sham. They selectively choose which schools to go after, willingly look the other way when institutional malfeasance happens on a grand scale, hammer teams for relatively minor infractions by comparison, and are completely arbitrary and capricious in meting out punishment.

Maybe I'm nostalgic or delusional but when did this country degrade to the ends always justify the means? I get it, winning is everything and all that. But is winning really everything? We used to be a nation of laws and respect. Justice used to be blind. Maybe it never was and I am just delusional. During the 70s, 80s, and 90s every pre-election polled matched the results. Now the post results are dramatically different than the polling. Where does it end? When we are not a country of laws, or the rules of the game are irrelevant or unequally enforced, it makes everything and everyone less valuable in my humble and most likely irrelevant opinion. I feel like our country has lost its pride, self-esteem, the value of fair play, and the importance of following the rules. Just sad that we get slammed so bad while others doing much worse get off scot-free.

Maybe I'm nostalgic or delusional but when did this country degrade to the ends always justify the means? I get it, winning is everything and all that. But is winning really everything? We used to be a nation of laws and respect. Justice used to be blind. Maybe it never was and I am just delusional. During the 70s, 80s, and 90s every pre-election polled matched the results. Now the post results are dramatically different than the polling. Where does it end? When we are not a country of laws, or the rules of the game are irrelevant or unequally enforced, it makes everything and everyone less valuable in my humble and most likely irrelevant opinion. I feel like our country has lost its pride, self-esteem, the value of fair play, and the importance of following the rules. Just sad that we get slammed so bad while others doing much worse get off scot-free.
Dave, Justice was never blind. There were no good ole days. Ask blacks how they were treated. In the south, you could hang a black and you wouldn't even face charges. Woman were always second class citizens. Gays were beat up just for fun. Cripes, we used to own other people.

Dave, Justice was never blind. There were no good ole days. Ask blacks how they were treated. In the south, you could hang a black and you wouldn't even face charges. Woman were always second class citizens. Gays were beat up just for fun. Cripes, we used to own other people.

All good points. I guess I'm just very strong in my belief that rules of a game and laws of the land are to be respected. I guess I'm just sick to my stomach of all the politics and BS that goes on sports and everything. Too many cheaters. It just gets to you after a while if you value doing-the-right-thing.

Are any SEC programs on probation? Wouldn't it be nice if some of those hicks got slapped around - just as we (and the ACC) start ascending?

I think the part that gets me the most is how blatantly and for how long the selective enforcement has been going on. How long ago was Tarkanian's famous quote that still perfectly sums up NCAA enforcement? Everyone saw this coming on UNC and it happened anyway. Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you. Every private (except Duke) and non-flagship public university should be paranoid.

I think the part that gets me the most is how blatantly and for how long the selective enforcement has been going on. How long ago was Tarkanian's famous quote that still perfectly sums up NCAA enforcement? Everyone saw this coming on UNC and it happened anyway. Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you. Every private (except Duke) and non-flagship public university should be paranoid.
I agree - Bama, Georgia and LSU had to be raising a stink about what Ole Miss was doing to land top classes. Conferences have a pecking order - SEC football especially and no way the blue bloods were going get out cheated by Ole Miss.

5bmVcgM.gif

Rules are just the man trying to hold you down maaaan

It's not game if there are no rules. If there are no rules then it's championship wrestling. Maybe that's what CBB and NCAA sports have become. A spectacle for advertising where money is more important than every other consideration.

Are any SEC programs on probation? Wouldn't it be nice if some of those hicks got slapped around - just as we (and the ACC) start ascending?

Never happen.

It's not game if there are no rules. If there are no rules then it's championship wrestling. Maybe that's what CBB and NCAA sports have become. A spectacle for advertising where money is more important than every other consideration.

What if we could combine basketball and pro wrestling?
nwo_malone_rodman_2_large.jpg

Or football and pro wrestling?
hqdefault.jpg

it was a witchhunt over bernie fine after the NCAA dropped the ball on sandusky, everyone knows it. i hope boeheim has a book ready to publish the day he retires.

And I hope on the front cover it has a big picture of the middle finger and right below it says, "NCAA"

Are you guys trying to recreate the movie "The Warriors" in forum form? Drama drama characters fighting with funny outfits drama drama

I go to school with someone who was a buddy of nkemdiche in highschool back in georgia and he said that there was good reason why he chose Ole Miss. He also said that Alabama did offer him some stuff too

Somebody gets it. Boeheim pretty much covered it when during the move to the ACC he said, "Football drives the bus." And there were just too many schools in the BE that didn't play football. The implication there is that those schools were being carried by those that did.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom