What a terrible inbounds play to run there | Syracusefan.com

What a terrible inbounds play to run there

Did we not realize they would immediately foul Christmas?

Down 3 with 4 seconds left and didn't even come close to getting a 3 off. Awful.
I agree. That has to be a catch and shoot.

Correct. Having your only 3 pt threat inbound the ball in that spot is exactly what Miami wants.

Have to just hope Trevor can shake someone and catch and shoot in one motion. Hell, take your chances with G/Buss/Kaleb in that spot. Only person not a threat to shoot the 3 there is Rak, and he got the ball.

Questionable decision for sure. Luckily we have these boards to discuss it :)

Apparently JB's thought process in that situation included calling a timeout--giving Miami's coaches a chance to tell their players to foul--to draw up a play SU runs often anyway.

Last edited:
The girl calling the game more about basketball then I hate to say it JB she knew that that three was coming from Miami and she know exactly what the inbound play playneeded to be at JB didn't

She would be the best guard on our roster right now.

The girl calling the game more about basketball then I hate to say it JB she knew that that three was coming from Miami and she know exactly what the inbound play playneeded to be at JB didn't
Can you please translate that mess?

She was very knowledgeable. I agree.

Can you please translate that mess?
Very simply she noted Miami needed up three ball to make it a four point lead and that's a two possession game game over so what does Jb defend against not the three ball The second point is that Syracuse needed a throw in and shot because they were going to file so who do they give it to everybody else on this board seems to know that hope you do now

We're not good at end of game strategy.

Inbounding.

Setting up shots.

Funny how Miami managed to get the ball to Rodriguez on the inbounds play when they needed it.

Very simply she noted Miami needed up three ball to make it a four point lead and that's a two possession game game over so what does Jb defend against not the three ball The second point is that Syracuse needed a throw in and shot because they were going to file so who do they give it to everybody else on this board seems to know that hope you do now
You need to take a basic writing course. Seriously.

I dont understand what Boeheim was thinking. That was absolutely asinine. I can't even fathom the decision to have Cooney inbound and then to pass to Rak was just dumfounding.

I've never seen Boeheim with such a terrible play call off of a timeout. It is truly bothersome.

I can at least understand missing FT's - not to the level that we did. But such a HORRIFIC decision by our head coach will keep me up tonight. I still can't comprehend that.

Side note: Kera Lawson is an excellent color commentator. She is VERY knowledgable. Someone should gobble her up as a coach FAST. Men or women.

samspann1 said:
Given the situation, with Cooney in bounding the ball, I would bet that every coach in the ACC knew what play we were running

I questioned it the second I saw Cooney inbound the ball.

Side note: Kera Lawson is an excellent color commentator. She is VERY knowledgable. Someone should gobble her up as a coach FAST. Men or women.
Yeah, she was very good today. I look forward to her announcing more of our r games.

And just to explain my reasoning for anyone who thinks i am just bashing Boeheim.

We were down 3 with 4.4 seconds left.

There are 2 things you never do in that situation:
1. Pass inside the 3 point line
2. pass the ball to a player going away from the basket.

Reason - you are certainly going to get fouled

There is 1 thing you don't want to do:
1. Pass to a big man who can't shoot

Reason: he's not going to make a 3 and they aren't going to let him pass.

We did #1 of what you never do AND #1 of what you don't want to do. And to boot... we had our best 3 pt shooter out of the play, EXPECTING he was going to get the ball back after a pass to a big man INSIDE the 3 point line WITH his back to the basket.

And this was off a timeout.

I don't want to go overboard here... but I can't help but be worried that JB had an old man moment there. It makes no sense. You don't need to know basketball that well to have called that play better. I'll say it as nicely as possible, that was his worst coaching moment I have ever seen.

cooney almost always inbounds the ball and we get the shot off almost any time we want.. so by our logic lets have cooney not take the ball out and never touch it because they wont just foul G before letting cooney shoot it. much easier for cooney to get the shot off from the inbounds position.. of miami was going to foul they werent going to let cooney shoot.

I've never seen Boeheim with such a terrible play call off of a timeout. It is truly bothersome.

Do you remember Cuse's final possession in the Final Four game vs. Michigan? I can't remember if it was out of a timeout, but it was similarly horrendous.

Did anyone ask JB about the play in the post-game presser?

There were only 2 questions to ask and in 1 specific order:

1. what the hell were you thinking on the inbounds play?
2. when does FT practice start?

I dont understand what Boeheim was thinking. That was absolutely asinine. I can't even fathom the decision to have Cooney inbound and then to pass to Rak was just dumfounding.

I can at least understand missing FT's - not to the level that we did. But such a HORRIFIC decision by our head coach will keep me up tonight. I still can't comprehend that.

Yep, really the only play to run was a catch and shoot, just as the female analyst suggested. Since Cooney would be the obvious one (no way Miami allows that) I thought maybe JB might attempt to get it to Patterson for the game tying 3.

She was good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom