Class of 2015 - What about Bryant??? | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 What about Bryant???

stone567

Walk On
Realistically, If Diagne commits to Syracuse on the 30th as expected, will SU remain in play for Bryant (or even Jones for that matter).

We have one spot that would be taken by Diagne.

Will the staff really accept a commitment from Bryant even though there is presently not a spot for him???

I realize there is always the likelihood that McCullough is a one in done, or someone else has a breakout year and heads for the NBA; however, I am curious if the staff will really be able to get a commitment when there is not presently a spot for him, and based on the assumption that one will open up???

I would really like to see them get Bryant as well.

Yes, they would absolutely take a commitment from Bryant. And I'm fairly certain that the numbers would work themselves out. We've had early entrants several years in a row. Kids can always decide to transfer. Etc.

Not worried about the #s -- if Bryant and Diagne both want to commit here, you take them both.

does a walk on currently hold a scholarship spot that could be used? Would be nice to get two bigs if they wanted to both attend.

If the staff really thinks CM is a 1 and done - there is your answer.

I guess my real concern is not that they won't take the commitment, but they will back off recruiting Bryant hard because the spot is iffy. And with Bryant, he has a lot of other options if he believes there may be a question with a spot.

Didn't Jones say he will not make a decision til Spring? If so then he'll be the one with a chance to grab a spot if someone's going. Bryant might pull the trigger with another before knowing the situation at SU.

Realistically, If Diagne commits to Syracuse on the 30th as expected, will SU remain in play for Bryant (or even Jones for that matter).

We have one spot that would be taken by Diagne.

Will the staff really accept a commitment from Bryant even though there is presently not a spot for him???

I realize there is always the likelihood that McCullough is a one in done, or someone else has a breakout year and heads for the NBA; however, I am curious if the staff will really be able to get a commitment when there is not presently a spot for him, and based on the assumption that one will open up???

I would really like to see them get Bryant as well.

Maybe Bryant doesn't want SU.

Maybe Bryant doesn't want SU.

Bryant wants to take his visits and enjoy the celebrity treatment. He won't commit until the first week of November.

Didn't Jones say he will not make a decision til Spring? If so then he'll be the one with a chance to grab a spot if someone's going. Bryant might pull the trigger with another before knowing the situation at SU.
Scholarships are year to year so if the staff wants Bryant and Bryants wants to be Orange they will find a spot for him!

does a walk on currently hold a scholarship spot that could be used? Would be nice to get two bigs if they wanted to both attend.
The 2015-16 schollies are: 1-Joseph; 2-Gbinje; 3-Howard; 4-Cooney; 5-Richardson; 6-Patterson; 7- Roberson; 8-Johnson; 9-Lydon; 10-McCullough; 11-Coleman; 12-Obokoh; and 13-Diagne

That's the limit (13) with no walk-ons counted. McCullough is the most likely candidate to jump at this point.

The 2015-16 schollies are: 1-Joseph; 2-Gbinje; 3-Howard; 4-Cooney; 5-Richardson; 6-Patterson; 7- Roberson; 8-Johnson; 9-Lydon; 10-McCullough; 11-Coleman; 12-Obokoh; and 13-Diagne

That's the limit (13) with no walk-ons counted. McCullough is the most likely candidate to jump at this point.

"Jump" to the NBA. But there might be those that "jump" as transfers [I'm thinking Patterson and / or BJ, if they don't carve out a niche this season].

"Jump" to the NBA. But there might be those that "jump" as transfers [I'm thinking Patterson and / or BJ, if they don't carve out a niche this season].
I think Buss is more likely to transfer if things don't work out for him this year. Malachi and Frank are being recruited over him and plus KJ, Coons, and G will all most likely return after next season as well.

Good point about attrition, Ry. I agree that the two most likely candidates are at SF and SG (BJ and Buss).

At SF, BJ played in 10 games and logged 55 minutes last year. To survive, he'll have to make a huge jump from 12% (2/16 from 3pt.). The good news (for him) is that: a) there isn't a 5 star SF arriving in 2015; and b) his competition this year - Roberson - was even worse from outside (0/5). So that'll be an interesting battle to watch, with many expecting Roberson to explode this year.

Buss got recruited over (as Francis pointed out). But that's 2 years out. In the meantime, although he hasn't shown the ability to score in isolation, he is a respectable spot up shooter (31% from 3) and decent defender. So I can see him backing up the streaky TC and getting minutes at SG when TC goes into one of his slumps. I doubt he'll see much time at point with Gbinje and KJ there. So this is Buss' year to step up and avoid being odd man out in '15.

Last edited:
Good point about attrition, Ry. I agree that the two most likely candidates are at SF and SG (BJ and Buss).

At SF, BJ played in 10 games and logged 55 minutes last year. To survive, he'll have to make a huge jump from 12% (2/16 from 3pt.). The good news (for him) is that: a) there isn't a 5 star SF arriving in 2015; and b) his competition this year - Roberson - was even worse from outside (0/5). So that'll be an interesting battle to watch, with many expecting Roberson to explode this year.

Buss got recruited over (as Francis pointed out). But that's 2 years out. In the meantime, although he hasn't shown the ability to score in isolation, he is a respectable spot up shooter (31% from 3) and decent defender. So I can see him backing up the streaky TC and getting minutes at SG when TC goes into one of his slumps. I doubt he'll see much time at point with Gbinje and KJ there. So this is Buss' year to step up and avoid being out man out in '15.

Agree across the board. Big year for Buss--make or break.

BJ has to compete with Roberson and Gbinije for minutes, correct? Or just Beast?

I think Buss is more likely to transfer if things don't work out for him this year. Malachi and Frank are being recruited over him and plus KJ, Coons, and G will all most likely return after next season as well.
I just can't see Buss transferring, he already had to prep a year and is a year older then most in his class. Pile that onto sitting out another year due to transfer rules and I just don't think he leaves. In my mind, if he doesn't carve out a spot for himself then I think he will become a Mookie type of player who is a gunner that comes in as a victory cigar type of player. I hope I'm wrong because I love the way he plays the game and think he could be a solid player if given an opportunity.

It seems to be that BJ and TR are more suited for the wing and KJ, MG, TC, and RP more for the guard position. I think JB would want MG playing guard mostly, he handle the guard position suitably last season and we have a freshman PG coming in.

Just my thoughts.

I just can't see Buss transferring, he already had to prep a year and is a year older then most in his class. Pile that onto sitting out another year due to transfer rules and I just don't think he leaves. In my mind, if he doesn't carve out a spot for himself then I think he will become a Mookie type of player who is a gunner that comes in as a victory cigar type of player. I hope I'm wrong because I love the way he plays the game and think he could be a solid player if given an opportunity.
Kids want to play. If Buss's ego is cool with being recruited over and spending most of his SU career on the bench if he doesn't get into the rotation next season then that's fine. On the flipside, I'm sure there will be good options for him near home if ever decides to leave such as Xavier, and schools from either the MAC or MVC, where he can carve out a solid career in D1 ball. I do hope things can eventually work out for him here, because I think he has certain intangibles that could be a great asset for the team moving forward.

Kids want to play. If Buss's ego is cool with being recruited over and spending most of his SU career on the bench if he doesn't get into the rotation next season then that's fine. On the flipside, I'm sure there will be good options for him near home if ever decides to leave such as Xavier, and schools from either the MAC or MVC, where he can carve out a solid career in D1 ball. I do hope things can eventually work out for him here, because I think he has certain intangibles that could be a great asset for the team moving forward.

Me too. Would love to see him come out and carve a niche this season as a change of pace guard. Him being able to connect on 37%+ from three point range would really help the cause, and position him for steady minutes, IMO. He also has the raw athletic tools to be a good defender in the zone up top.

I honestly believe that recruited "over" or not, he will factor into the rotation this year, and play a key role throughout the rest of his career. Assuming this upcoming season goes like I expect, he could be one of those four year program glue guys. The opportunity is there for him: we need to get TC a bit more rest, and we need players who can shoot. He doesn't have to be an NBA prospect like Dion--just a guy who makes shiznit happen when he gets into the game.

I hate when people talk about players transferring, but if he can't crack the rotation this year, I could see Patterson moving on. Next year, with 2 more guards coming in, if he hasn't established himself by the end of this season as a rotation player, he's going to have an awfully hard time doing so the following year.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom