What Could Have Been... | Syracusefan.com

What Could Have Been...

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
When Scott Shafer was hired as the SU HC and was putting together his staff, the two contenders for the OC job were George McDonald and Matt Canada.

Shafer played a key role in Matt's career. He surely would have come if asked as he lost his job as OC at Wisconsin when the HC went to Arkansas.

Small world department:

One of the first things Bret Bielema did upon taking the Arkansas HC job was to hire George McDonald was his WR coach.

Scott stole him from Bret almost immediately.

Matt Canada, who lost his job when Bielema left the Badgers, got a job with Dave Doeren at NC State as their OC.

Where he would start working with George the following year.

It was bad enough Scott snubbed him the first time. Snubbing him twice might have cost him the SU HC job.

Worst coaching decision of 2016? Doeren firing Canada after the 2015, which made him available for Narduzzi to hire...

McDonald was let go mid-season 2014, so even if Schafer wanted Canada to be OC at SU he would have had to take Canada from NC State during the season. That obviously wasn't going to happen.

At the end of the 2014 campaign Schafer could have reached out to Canada to replace Lester. Maybe Schafer did that and Canada wasn't interested or wasn't willing to leave NC State?

"Canadian Representative: Our government has apologized for Bryan Adams on numerous occasions! "

latest

When Scott Shafer was hired as the SU HC and was putting together his staff, the two contenders for the OC job were George McDonald and Matt Canada.

Shafer played a key role in Matt's career. He surely would have come if asked as he lost his job as OC at Wisconsin when the HC went to Arkansas.

Small world department:

One of the first things Bret Bielema did upon taking the Arkansas HC job was to hire George McDonald was his WR coach.

Matt Canada, who lost his job when Bielema left the Badgers, got a job with Dave Doeren at NC State as their OC.

It was bad enough Scott snubbed him the first time. Snubbing him twice might have cost him the SU HC job.

Worst coaching decision of 2016? Doeren firing Canada after the 2015, which made him available for Narduzzi to hire...

Wow , great perspective . most of these head coaches are only as good as the coordinators they hire . they are paid for their talent hiring prowess as much as they are clock management on a Sunday . look at Ed O @ LSU . He found lsu some offense and boom, millions.

Wow , great perspective . most of these head coaches are only as good as the coordinators they hire . they are paid for their talent hiring prowess as much as they are clock management on a Sunday . look at Ed O @ LSU . He found lsu some offense and boom, millions.
Absolutely, and I'm not sure why Doeren fired Canada after the 2105 season. I'm just saying that we don't know if Schafer snubbed Canada a second time. He let McDonald go mid-season 2014. At the end of the 2014 season it is possible that Schafer reached out to Canada and Canada chose to stay at NC State.

Also, not sure how well Canada would have done at SU in 2015 installing his system and of course having to deal with all of the injuries to the SU QBs that season. In that scenario it's possible that Dungey and Mahoney aren't at SU in 2015 because Lester found them and brought both of them to SU.

Absolutely, and I'm not sure why Doeren fired Canada after the 2105 season. I'm just saying that we don't know if Schafer snubbed Canada a second time. He let McDonald go mid-season 2014. At the end of the 2014 season it is possible that Schafer reached out to Canada and Canada chose to stay at NC State.

Also, not sure how well Canada would have done at SU in 2015 installing his system and of course having to deal with all of the injuries to the SU QBs that season. In that scenario it's possible that Dungey and Mahoney aren't at SU in 2015 because Lester found them and brought both of them to SU.

Doeren is a meathead and one of my least fav coaches in the acc. they both missed on him. the pitt offense is a different animal this year with Peterman , who i think is just ok.

McDonald was let go mid-season 2014, so even if Schafer wanted Canada to be OC at SU he would have had to take Canada from NC State during the season. That obviously wasn't going to happen.

At the end of the 2014 campaign Schafer could have reached out to Canada to replace Lester. Maybe Schafer did that and Canada wasn't interested or wasn't willing to leave NC State?
Of course he wasn't leaving in the mIddle of the season. Was talking about after the season.

Shafer was Canada's mentor. He got him his fIrst college coaching job as a student assistant and got him a job at NIU as well.

Doeren was not. Hence Matt getting fired after doing a good job wIth NC State.

I think he would have come if asked. But Scott decided to give the job to Lester instead.

In the end, I think we will be better off. But it delayed recovery a couple of years...

Of course he wasn't leaving in the mIddle of the season. Was talking about after the season.

Shafer was Canada's mentor. He got him his fIrst college coaching job as a student assistant and got him a job at NIU as well.

I think he would have come if asked. But Scott decided to give the job to Lester instead.

In the end, I think we will be better off. But it delayed recovery a couple of years...
What if after the 2014 season Schafer did ask Matt?

Are you saying Lester slowed down the progress on offense by a couple of years?

Last edited:
I liked the hire too but he laid an egg against Bama and only scored 13 against Florida at home. They really should have won the Florida game. I thought after that he was toast.

I liked the hire too but he laid an egg against Bama and only scored 13 against Florida at home. They really should have won the Florida game. I thought after that he was toast.

Good point , but i think the powers that be at lsu saw just how he rallied the players and how the offensive production spiked after his hire . minus the uf game. uf does have some defensive talent .

Doeren is a meathead and one of my least fav coaches in the acc. they both missed on him. the pitt offense is a different animal this year with Peterman , who i think is just ok.
Thankfully for Peterman, you're not a scout. Most services have him as a top 10-15 QB in the draft. Much will be decided in the combines.

Thankfully for Peterman, you're not a scout. Most services have him as a top 10-15 QB in the draft. Much will be decided in the combines.

Peterman is a statue who will get blown up in the nfl. and btw, most years, 10-15 qbs dont get drafted .

Knowing su I'm betting he didn't have the budget to bring in Canada. They did sign Shafer for less money then marone.

Not midseason. No way. Especially when we play NC State.

Small world department:

I am of the opinion that the OC wouldn't have mattered. We didn't have a QB on the roster to run Matt Canada's offense. Hunt couldn't throw a pass and Drew Allen threw all his to the other team. AJ was a midget and Wilson was the same human interception sprinkler that Allen was.

Our QB issues wouldn't have been solved by a different OC at least until Dungey took the field and he only played a few games so after the CMU game we would have been back to square one.

When Matt Canada was the OC at IU, the fans wanted him out - he was viewed as too predictable and too conservative.

He was basically run out of Bloomington.

Of course he didn't have much talent at Indiana so the old "it's not about the x's and o's but the Larrys and Moes" probably applies.

When Matt Canada was the OC at IU, the fans wanted him out - he was viewed as too predictable and too conservative.

He was basically run out of Bloomington.

Of course he didn't have much talent at Indiana so the old "it's not about the x's and o's but the Larrys and Moes" probably applies.
...or, maybe, he learned from his mistakes and incorporated new schemes into his offensive system.

I really like the "new" Pitt offense, it's fun to watch. Let's see how they do next year without Peterman (and 8 others on their 2-deep) who is a very good QB. One article I read lists him as the most under rated QB in the upcoming draft.

...or, maybe, he learned from his mistakes and incorporated new schemes into his offensive system.

I really like the "new" Pitt offense, it's fun to watch. Let's see how they do next year without Peterman (and 8 others on their 2-deep) who is a very good QB. One article I read lists him as the most under rated QB in the upcoming draft.

Maybe. But, it does help when you have a very good OL, a great RB and a very good QB.

Maybe. But, it does help when you have a very good OL, a great RB and a very good QB.
pitt is very good in yards per play, better than their defense in yards per play but they don't amplify their advantage because they're 98th in offensive plays

we will eventually be better in yards per play offense than defense, and we will amplify that advantage with our pace

i don't get wistful about matt canada - he's fine but whatever

pitt is very good in yards per play, better than their defense in yards per play but they don't amplify their advantage because they're 98th in offensive plays

we will eventually be better in yards per play offense than defense, and we will amplify that advantage with our pace

i don't get wistful about matt canada - he's fine but whatever

Can you imagine how bad Pitt would perform on defense if they increased their offensive tempo?

Can you imagine how bad Pitt would perform on defense if they increased their offensive tempo?
total yards would be worse but i don't think it makes much difference per play

they had no business losing to vt but they didn't have enough plays and it got weird on them

total yards would be worse but i don't think it makes much difference per play

they had no business losing to vt but they didn't have enough plays and it got weird on them

I still can't figure out Va Tech.

I still can't figure out Va Tech.
ha me neither

i'd love to know what their record would be in whatever division we're in (i refuse to learn the names)

2 of their losses, they gave up 91 (tenn) and 34 (GT) passing yards.

we gained over a hundred yards more than any other team did against them

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cardiac

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom