What does a good JB offense look like? | Syracusefan.com

What does a good JB offense look like?

Alsacs

Living Legend
What is his offensive philosophy we all know his defensive philosophy. It seems every year we have a different offensive identity.
Our offense has no consistency because it seems it is different each year.
2014-15 Rak post offense, G driving and shooting
2013-14 Fair midrange, Ennis driving
2012-13 MCW driving, Fair midrange, Southerland 3 pt range
2011-12 Scoop, Joseph, Waiters, Fair just a deep team
2010-11 Rick Jackson post, Scoop/Joseph
2009-10 AO and Jackson post, Johnson everything, Scoop/Rautins shooting.

This is just the past 6 years. It doesn't seem JB has a system for offense like defense. When I watch Duke, UNC, Iowa State, Kansas, Michigan State, Gonzaga I see the same things offensively year to year.

When we have been successful the past couple of years we had ball handlers who mastered the pick and roll. Flynn, scoop, triche, Dion, Ennis and MCW were all extremely effective in pick and situations.

JB's offense is very similar to what teams in the NBA run. The problem is we don't have an effective point guard, and it forces other positions to try and do more than they are capable of.

You adjust each year on offense to who your main personnel is. This year rock is our most talented player.

He changes offensive philosophy to match the skills and abilities of the players he has each year. What is so hard to figure out about that? Just about every coach does that. Only GMAC in SU football does otherwise (see how that worked for him?)

This year, Xmas was far and away the best player/scoring option for the team. Last year he felt it was Fair, etc.

The real issue that SU has had the past few years, is a lack of balance on offense. I feel like the things you need in an offense in today's college basketball are:

three scoring options.
one inside threat & two outside threats
all five players also need to be a threat to score. And this is where SU has been having the most problems the past two years. They have not been able to put 5 players on the floor who can score. This has caused the opposing defensive player to help against our top scorers.

He changes offensive philosophy to match the skills and abilities of the players he has each year. What is so hard to figure out about that? Just about every coach does that. Only GMAC in SU football does otherwise (see how that worked for him?)

This year, Xmas was far and away the best player/scoring option for the team. Last year he felt it was Fair, etc.

The real issue that SU has had the past few years, is a lack of balance on offense. I feel like the things you need in an offense in today's college basketball are:

three scoring options.
one inside threat & two outside threats
all five players also need to be a threat to score. And this is where SU has been having the most problems the past two years. They have not been able to put 5 players on the floor who can score. This has caused the opposing defensive player to help against our top scorers.
yep to me there are 3 glaring deficiencies in this years team: 1) a porous zone 2) a freshmen pg who struggled much of the time and imo the pg position is huge in college ball 3) we almost always have 2 guys on the court who arent guarded, w the occasional exception like BJ and the ND game. can all 3 of these be fixed next year? i think potentially but we shall see

It's a lot more iso and a free flowing offense; if you listen to guards we are recruiting they talk about how they like our style.

Once in a generation talent or a few Wes Johnson/Andy Rautins types.

You need multiple 3 point shooters to have a good offense in CBB. It's not hard to figure out.

Have to have a guard that can score. Need a top pg

I love Trevor's effort and hustle, but he's so easy to shut down. He simply cannot create a shot for himself or others. Watching him launch step-back 3s w/ a hand in his face is painful.

Always thought our best teams included at least one guy that could get theirs. (Melo, dion, triche, McW, billy, wallace)

He tailor fits his offense every year based on his best player. It can work sometimes, but other times it leads to a lack of balance. 09-10 was great partly because we didn't have a "best" player. We had 7 guys who could all show up and lead.

I love Trevor's effort and hustle, but he's so easy to shut down. He simply cannot create a shot for himself or others. Watching him launch step-back 3s w/ a hand in his face is painful.
Part of him being easy to shut down is having essentially only 3 guys who can score. 4 at most. If there was better balance in the scoring, things would look different. If the guy setting a pick, can't score, then there is no worry about the pick and roll so the defender gets to stay with Cooney longer. etc

I just wish we had a better offensive philosophy. I don't mind the zone as it is a defensive identity and it works for the most part.
3 teams average over 80ppg last year there were 18 teams to average 80ppg
27 teams average under 60ppg and last year there were only 15 teams.

I don't blame this on coaching but it seems college basketball is becoming tilted to the defense.

I think offense takes more specific skills than defense so you have to fit your offense to what you have more than defense. It would make no sense to run this year's offense like, say the 2013 offense, which had MCW and Brandon Triche driving to the basket, CJ Fair scoring inside and out and Rakeem with an undeveloped game.

The offense of that 09/10 team was a thing of beauty. That's what JB's going for.

Seems like the offensive paradigm is ... Low post scorer (AO/Rak), rebounding PF with size and a b2b game (Hak, Ricky, CM), athletic SF with shooting range that can also slash (CA, WJ, JS), a PG (JF, SJ, MCW) to run pick and roll, a catch and shoot guy (AR/TC) and a sixth guy off the bench to bring offense (Dion).

Part of him being easy to shut down is having essentially only 3 guys who can score. 4 at most. If there was better balance in the scoring, things would look different. If the guy setting a pick, can't score, then there is no worry about the pick and roll so the defender gets to stay with Cooney longer. etc
Cooney is a 4th Junior he is developed. If he is a role player he Shouldn't have the green light.
Our coaches could do more to help the offense by using sets to help. We run the same plays and defenses catch on.

It's a pro style offense without the pros. A high end PG is a must and the team struggles without one. JB allows kids to go one on one and there is less movement as a result. If you have a PG that can do damage, it can work. Otherwise it can be a major struggle to find consistent production.

We've become too reliant on recruiting players who fit the zone and the offense has really struggled the last handful of years. I really wish we'd focus less on length and potential and more on skill and shooting. You can teach kids the nuances of the zone to be successful but it's a lot harder to develop offensive skills. The offense has been mostly an issue for the past decade with a few outlier years.

Cooney is a 4th Junior he is developed. If he is a role player he Shouldn't have the green light.
Our coaches could do more to help the offense by using sets to help. We run the same plays and defenses catch on.
Sorry, but I don't understand your response. Roll player? Did I say he is a roll player? Actually, I don't think JB gives green lights, he does give RED lights like to Joseph. If Cooney gets a look, he can take the shot. G has a green light too in that sense. But then it's not like Cooney shoots EVERY time he gets the ball.

I just wish we had a better offensive philosophy. I don't mind the zone as it is a defensive identity and it works for the most part.
3 teams average over 80ppg last year there were 18 teams to average 80ppg
27 teams average under 60ppg and last year there were only 15 teams.

I don't blame this on coaching but it seems college basketball is becoming tilted to the defense.
It seems to me that somewhere along the line JB changed his strategy (and recruiting) to emphasize the zone defense. He wants a certain body type with length, wing span, quickness etc. And we have markedly de-emphasized offensive skills...especially shooting skill. Cuse used to always have a high powered offense with a lot of scoring. For several years now we are a poor outside shooting team. We don't bring in scorers anymore. Maybe Malachi Richardson will be the real deal...we'll see. But you need more than one. Most of the really good teams now put multiple 3 point shooters on the floor and move the ball. We continue to seemingly have a philosophy of having only one perimeter shooter usually the shooting guard position. Of course a good PG is essential to running a fast break and having a good offense and we have a major problem this year. Last year Ennis was good at limiting TO's but he didn't push a break and he couldn't shoot. MCW finally was blossoming late and had the big FF run and then left. We really need to get a PG that can run a break and can be a 3 point threat too.

Outside of landing the next Carmelo, I think JB's ideal team would be close to that 09-10 team.

You need a dynamic PG that can push or play half court, wings that can hit the three and at least one guy down low that has at least one solid post move (left/right baby hook, for example).

The issue is that we recruit for the zone so getting guys who can fit on both ends is challenging.

The one thing with that 09-10 team is that Andy was the primary ball handler, which was incredible.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom