What good are these so-called "hitting coaches?" | Syracusefan.com

What good are these so-called "hitting coaches?"

CaliCuse

All American
I look at shortstop Gregarious' swing and its obscene. A total uppercut that if he hits the ball its a drive to the sky and thats only if he is lucky. Flatten out the swing through the zone. Get him on the tee for about a hundred swing per day for as long as it takes to see how long it takes to transfer to his game swing This kid is never going to be a home run hitter. Get his average up to at the very least .250. Show him how to go to the opposite field If a coach can't do this why waste the money and time with these guys . The (coaches)not the player. This basic stuff that isn't happening. There have been a few freaks that had the graphic uppercut swing that went into the seats for home runs. Dave King man was one of those. Mickey Mantle used that to hit one of the longest and hardest hit home runs in old Yankee Stadium that "almost left the park I forget what the estimate distance the ball might have gine had it not hit the facade still going up. I believe it was 600'+.

Not sure how easy you think it is to totally deconstruct a players swing they have had for 20 years and boom, all of a sudden they hit a completely different way than they are used to doing. and who is to say they, or others havent tried like hell along the way

Not sure how easy you think it is to totally deconstruct a players swing they have had for 20 years and boom, all of a sudden they hit a completely different way than they are used to doing. and who is to say they, or others havent tried like hell along the way
These are so-called professional ballplayers. Their income depends on their overall success Gregarious has defense but remains a hole in the lineup.As a professional he must listen to the other pros trying to help him. If he doesn't try he won't be on the Yankee roster very long. He has already answered the question of being the Yankee shortstop for any length of time. Look for Cashman to give up a top prospect before the trade deadline to replace Didi If I'm paying a batting coach and he tells me what he is doing to help Didi and he refuses to take the advice, the player gets a ticket to the farm. if he doesn't get traded for a baseball. You need to upgrade a batter's muscle memory the tee is a great way of doing that you set up th tee in front of a wall that has parallel lines of tape and instruct him to begin swinging to hit the ball straight away and hitting the ball between the tape as instructed Watch him swing and guide him until he is constantly putting the ball there or at least close enough to show progress. I know this from various observations. It works. That is only one way to get the job done. Hitting isn't as natural as you might think. Correction needs are relatively easy to spot. Stances are another big issue.

Again, changing a players swing is like completely changing a players shooting form in the NBA, a form they have had since 10-12 years old. You might "tweak" things here and there but very few players reinvent their form or swing. Didi is off to a bad start, no doubt but did he expect him to hit .300, when he has never done so at any level in baseball?

Again, changing a players swing is like completely changing a players shooting form in the NBA, a form they have had since 10-12 years old. You might "tweak" things here and there but very few players reinvent their form or swing. Didi is off to a bad start, no doubt but did he expect him to hit .300, when he has never done so at any level in baseball?
I never said or inferred that Didi would hit .300. All skilled athletes have their style fixed since they were young but that doesn't mean its impossible to correct. The first obstacle is mental in order for the player to get on board with the adjustment and internalize how the "change" or "adjustment will help him or her. Once that happens you are half way through the learning stage because the player will be focused. Ss far as the Yankees are concerned their lineup past the clean up hitter the other day had not one batter hitting at least .250. Cashmere sits on pitching and tends to look past offense. Beltran was an older player that Cashman has given a big contract for too long of a commitment. If I was a ypoung talented prospect ,I might think twice before signing with Yanks No matter how well I play in the farm system ,I would be destined to ride the busses before given a solid chance in the majors. Maybe if offered a huge bonus I might jump on it.

I never said or inferred that Didi would hit .300. All skilled athletes have their style fixed since they were young but that doesn't mean its impossible to correct. The first obstacle is mental in order for the player to get on board with the adjustment and internalize how the "change" or "adjustment will help him or her. Once that happens you are half way through the learning stage because the player will be focused. Ss far as the Yankees are concerned their lineup past the clean up hitter the other day had not one batter hitting at least .250. Cashmere sits on pitching and tends to look past offense. Beltran was an older player that Cashman has given a big contract for too long of a commitment. If I was a ypoung talented prospect ,I might think twice before signing with Yanks No matter how well I play in the farm system ,I would be destined to ride the busses before given a solid chance in the majors. Maybe if offered a huge bonus I might jump on it.

You think Beltran was going to accept anything less than 3 years? He signed for less with the Yankees than what the Royals and I believe Diamondbacks were offering. Who are these talent prospects playing great sitting in the Yankees farm system? Or better yet, who are these talented prospects from other teams that don't go through other teams farm systems?

The game catches up to everyone. Coaches can't change that.
No coaches have no control on aging players but GMs do.Signing older players for great sums of $ is in their control Signing A-hole for that contract going into his 40s isn't smart.Sure the "Hole was hitting very good but now we know how and why he was doing that. If there was ever a tip off to what was going on Mark McGuire was the spot on clue. He finishes a season looking tall and lanky and then comes in looking like Paul Bunyan with forearms that could match up with a normal man's thighs. I remember the sports news attention given to this phenomena but no one wasting the investigative reporting about all of these cheaters. Barry Bonds of course is another big time cheat. I sent the records these pukes broke or hold. Taking away Hank Aaron's' right to head up a list regarding home runs is disgraceful. Asterisk are not enough the same for Roger Maris who in my opinion headmen of the best swings the game ever saw. Ted Williams excepted. Williams was the best hitter the game ever saw The biggest trade never made was DiMaggio for Williams Both hitters would have played in parks designed for their talent. Of the two Williams would have been the greatest.

I wonder what the mean batting average of all the hitting coaches was when (if?) they were in the Show.:noidea:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom