Class of 2015 - What I love - so many linemen !!! | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 What I love - so many linemen !!!

IthacaMatt

Old Timer / Unofficial Contributor for 25+ years
How many years do you see us get a bunch of WRs and RBs and LBs, but we always come up short getting linemen. How great is it to have NINE of them in this class !!! You win with the big uglies. I know that some of them are not that highly rated, but some of them come from great HS programs and you have to think that the quality coaching they will receive as seniors will make some of these guys blow up.

Hats off to the coaching staff. The job isn't done yet, but this is an important group of guys to get. WELL DONE.

How many years do you see us get a bunch of WRs and RBs and LBs, but we always come up short getting linemen. How great is it to have NINE of them in this class !!! You win with the big uglies. I know that some of them are not that highly rated, but some of them come from great HS programs and you have to think that the quality coaching they will receive as seniors will make some of these guys blow up.

Hats off to the coaching staff. The job isn't done yet, but this is an important group of guys to get. WELL DONE.

You talk about some of them not being highly rated, but, I'll tell you this. While talking with a source I trust on this topic, there were 12 lineman identified as "top of the board" guys by the coaches. They wanted 2 T's and 3 interior lineman. The 5 current commitments were certainly in that group of 12.

Not only did they get who they want, but, all of them have over a 3.0 GPA as well. No qualification issues here. All of them are high character kids. I was also told the top characteristics they're looking for are height and the ability to move. He noted that they specifically like basketball players up front because he knows their feet work. This surprises me, as I've always favored wrestlers because of their physicality.

Also, I'm told, the accelerated recruiting schedule makes things much much more difficult with the guys up front. It's harder because they develop differently than skill guys. You know right off the bat if a skill guy can catch or juke/move. But lineman develop slower, and, you might see a lineman as a So. that you don't like, but, over time he develops and is worth a scholarship. As an example, I was told more than one of our current line commits wouldn't have been offered as a So. but have developed enough over the past year to be worthy of it.

Have confidence in the beef we've brought in, you won't be the first.

How bout 1 more lineman @ DT! This class officially has 9 linemen 5 offense 4 defense a full squad and some of them play both ways. Just awesome, I agree with the OP this game is Won in the trenches. Look for us to go hard after a high 4* or 5* RB next year (maybe Rob Washington) its an easier sell with all that beef on campus from this class and last class also with solid OL.

You talk about some of them not being highly rated, but, I'll tell you this. While talking with a source I trust on this topic, there were 12 lineman identified as "top of the board" guys by the coaches. They wanted 2 T's and 3 interior lineman. The 5 current commitments were certainly in that group of 12.

Not only did they get who they want, but, all of them have over a 3.0 GPA as well. No qualification issues here. All of them are high character kids. I was also told the top characteristics they're looking for are height and the ability to move. He noted that they specifically like basketball players up front because he knows their feet work. This surprises me, as I've always favored wrestlers because of their physicality.

Also, I'm told, the accelerated recruiting schedule makes things much much more difficult with the guys up front. It's harder because they develop differently than skill guys. You know right off the bat if a skill guy can catch or juke/move. But lineman develop slower, and, you might see a lineman as a So. that you don't like, but, over time he develops and is worth a scholarship. As an example, I was told more than one of our current line commits wouldn't have been offered as a So. but have developed enough over the past year to be worthy of it.

Have confidence in the beef we've brought in, you won't be the first.

Spot on buddy. Staff loves the kids they have verballed right now. The key is hanging onto them when they blow up in the fall during their senior years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom