What I saw | Syracusefan.com

What I saw

Blaster

2nd String
The offense was bad 100% because of play calling. Against Wagner and Tulane last year hunt was going down field over the middle and every where else so no reason he couldn't friday. He did have a nice pass to Broyld down the sideline. Those screen plays were designed to only be screens with no other options. If you watched the Fsu game osu faked a screen and hit the wr down field for a td. Wvu vs Bama wvu hits there WR screens while they are running not the step back catch then run like we were every time. Didn't appear they were calling plays to set up bigger ones later on but hunt being ejected could have hampered that a little.

Also they sub to much especially at rb. You can run more plays by subbing less and just lining up. Ptg should have more touches without his 65 yard td run he was still avg 4.5 ypc. Aam had 10 touches for like less than 2 ypc. Even on the goal line Ptg is still a better option cuz he run or catch out of the backfield. This rb swap every other play needs to end. Morris and mcfarlane can sub for a breather but there time will come.

The defensive front got decent pressure but it was like they were just mindlessly rushing not executing their contain responsibility. Lbers same issue and there coverage wasn't so hot.
Not sure I like all this zone . We get killed on crossing routes all day.

The end

Going off your point about single option plays, this one bugged me. We lined up quickly, and our two wideouts on the right were completely uncovered. Don't remember who the QB was, but the ball was snapped, he handed it off, and the run went for maybe two yards. Is the team that uncomfortable in the offense that they are still trying to execute and are caught unawares otherwise?

The offense was bad 100% because of play calling. Against Wagner and Tulane last year hunt was going down field over the middle and every where else so no reason he couldn't friday. He did have a nice pass to Broyld down the sideline. Those screen plays were designed to only be screens with no other options. If you watched the Fsu game osu faked a screen and hit the wr down field for a td. Wvu vs Bama wvu hits there WR screens while they are running not the step back catch then run like we were every time. Didn't appear they were calling plays to set up bigger ones later on but hunt being ejected could have hampered that a little.

Also they sub to much especially at rb. You can run more plays by subbing less and just lining up. Ptg should have more touches without his 65 yard td run he was still avg 4.5 ypc. Aam had 10 touches for like less than 2 ypc. Even on the goal line Ptg is still a better option cuz he run or catch out of the backfield. This rb swap every other play needs to end. Morris and mcfarlane can sub for a breather but there time will come.

The defensive front got decent pressure but it was like they were just mindlessly rushing not executing their contain responsibility. Lbers same issue and there coverage wasn't so hot.
Not sure I like all this zone . We get killed on crossing routes all day.

The end

I thought the screen passes were decent calls since the CBs played off our WRs and appeared to defend the long ball. When a defense just gives you open space, I think you take it (especially with this spread offense).

I thought the screen passes were decent calls since the CBs played off our WRs and appeared to defend the long ball. When a defense just gives you open space, I think you take it (especially with this spread offense).

If they'd given us open space, the screens would have worked. Our guys always seemed to be out-numbered on the flank. The entire problem is that we didn't make them cover downfield first.

If they'd given us open space, the screens would have worked. Our guys always seemed to be out-numbered on the flank. The entire problem is that we didn't make them cover downfield first.
I agree that was my point how they never set up other plays off the screen. I think nova was playing off and just baiting the offense to keep throwing them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom