What if Cooney | Syracusefan.com

What if Cooney

Status
Not open for further replies.

two3zone

RIP Shark58
Didn't play the minutes he has the past 3 years and was a 18-25 minute guy off the bench?

To be quiet honest, I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case he would have better shooting percentages, probably in the high 30s or even 40% and probably play better non-tired defense the last few months of the season.

I guess the point I'm getting at is that this guy is a very talented player but he has been literally beaten down for 100 games the past 3 seasons and there has to be a lot of wear and tear on him. I think there is also a lot of unfair criticism when it comes to him as he's been put into a role the past few years that he was essentially put into a offense that would set him up to fail all while playing an insane amount of minutes for anybody. Our brand of offense is not polite to shooters, there is very very little ball movement and open shots and it hasn't only been this year or last year.

I think he'd be roughly the same player in reduced minutes. I do think his efficiency would tick up, but not very much.

I hope he gives a run like gmac as a senior except some of those games come in the NCAA

OttoinGrotto said:
I think he'd be roughly the same player in reduced minutes. I do think his efficiency would tick up, but not very much.
totally agree. The notion that Cooneys misses are a result of fatigue or defenses, etc., is such a tired narrative. He's just not a v good shooter

What if you just quit starting another Cooney thread!

This is the first Cooney thread I've started in the three years I've been on this site, and this is probably the only somewhat positive Cooney thread this site has seen in 3 months.

Spread your hate towards somebody else.

Who would have played the minutes there? There was another thread about how SU hasn't had a reliable 3rd guard in four years. That hurts. Kaleb and Buss not turning out hurt a lot. Buss, I don't know what happened there. Every program misses on guys, but completely whiffing on two hurts. Once they saw what they had (or didn't have) with Buss, they should have gone all out for another guard (in addition to Kaleb). It didn't happen. Impending sanctions, perhaps.

Who would have played the minutes there? There was another thread about how SU hasn't had a reliable 3rd guard in four years. That hurts. Kaleb and Buss not turning out hurt a lot. Buss, I don't know what happened there. Every program misses on guys, but completely whiffing on two hurts. Once they saw what they had (or didn't have) with Buss, they should have gone all out for another guard (in addition to Kaleb). It didn't happen. Impending sanctions, perhaps.

I know I'll get killed on this now just as much as then, but Patterson was a better fit, and a better player than Cooney IMO. Oh wellz...it's all academic, and quite fair to argue the other way. Neither one by any stretch is/was a 30+ MPG type player though FWIW.

To the OPs point, I have no idea. I mentioned this in the other thread, I think maybe in an offense like 'Nova he may have been more effective. He seems to shoot best on a breakout where his momentum is naturally forcing him forward. Otherwise, he just struggles so much to consistently shoot the ball well from deep. He needed to be a spot player on a team that runs up and down - a lot of west coast teams may have fit that bill better than what we see in the Big East or ACC. The defenses are just too strong/style of play too slow for him to thrive. He did us no disservice though, kid gave every ounce of energy he had for 5 years. And, at the end of the day, he's carried us before in games, and hopefully he can string together a good run for the ACC/NCAA tourney - he's capable. LGO!!

Overall, I'm not sure a reduction on this team would have mattered at all - maybe slightly?

Probably goes up.

Triche went from 40 percent to 29 his senior year.

I've always thought the 2 is way too stagnant in Jb's offense.

It's one reason I'm not totally confident Malachi's percentages are going to increase that much next year.

Probably goes up.

It's one reason I'm not totally confident Malachi's percentages are going to increase that much next year.

It's too much reliance on the curl which is taking the shooter's body away from the basket, causing much of the drift we are talking about in Cooney. Triche had a bit of that, so did Rautins. Need more plays where the PG is driving and can either finish or dish to the 2 on the wing alone.

It's too much reliance on the curl which is taking the shooter's body away from the basket, causing much of the drift we are talking about in Cooney. Triche had a bit of that, so did Rautins. Need more plays where the PG is driving and can either finish or dish to the 2 on the wing alone.

Yeah, Triche was a leaner from deep. He had a great mid range game though.

We really need to find a way to run and get guys easier baskets going forward. I just don't like the design of our half court offense since about 2011, and I know what we are trying to do, but not sure it fits all of our guys strengths.

Oh I donno, We probably wouldn't have been able to save about 15-20k on travel, food and lodging.

He also air balls uncontested three-pointers. And hits the side of the backboard on corner threes. That's simply a mental thing. Even mediocre shooters don't air ball and miss rim as often as Cooney does when he's wide open. I'm sure during practice and warm ups he can make 17 out of 20.

The kid just isn't mentally tough.

Probably goes up.

Triche was shooting decently from deep until about half way through his senior season, then slumped badly from there while playing through injury for the rest of the year. He continued to contribute in other ways, however, and was a big factor in the Final 4 run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom