"What if..." | Syracusefan.com

"What if..."

Would we have fired HCSS if we finished 6-6, but looked sloppy in the process?

• Yes

Votes: 3 5.5%
  • No

Votes: 52 94.5%

• Total voters

nzm136

All Conference
If we had held on in the UVA and Pitt games (giving us a bowl eligible 6-6 record), would we have fired HCSS?

CuseCrew08 said:
I think he would have been retained.

With a raise and extension.

Of course not.

Wins matter.
This defense, gave up nine minute sustained drives in both the UVA and Pitt games, like a hot knife thru butter. Yes HCSS is a good, respected guy, who I think will land on his feet, but as very few adjustments were made as the losses piled up, the right decision was made by Coyle.

If I won the lottery would I be rich? I hate these hypotheticals. Our seasons done we had a 1 game improvement over last year and an 8 game losing streak. 7-17 after 3 bowl games in 4 years will get you fired as sad as it may be.

This defense looks a lot like the UCLA defense under Neuheisel. Maybe because Bullough was there as DC?

If I won the lottery would I be rich? I hate these hypotheticals. Our seasons done we had a 1 game improvement over last year and an 8 game losing streak. 7-17 after 3 bowl games in 4 years will get you fired as sad as it may be.
I'm guessing you either aren't in management, or you are really bad at your job.

we were closer to losing to CMU than we were to beating either UVA or Pitt. This entire premise is flawed.

nzm136 said:
I'm guessing you either aren't in management, or you are really bad at your job.
I work with sales. If they don't make their number there are always reasons why. And management doesn't care. You gotta find a way, or be prepared to suffer the consequences.

nzm136 said:
He was a terrible hire as a DC. I've been saying that for years.

No snark intended, sincere question...if Shafer hired a terrible OC and a terrible DC why would Coyle not use that as determinative facts in his evaluation?

No snark intended, sincere question...if Shafer hired a terrible OC and a terrible DC why would Coyle not use that as determinative facts in his evaluation?
Well, the OC was a rational gamble, and the DC could very well have been because HCSS hired his staff at the last moment and on a limited budget, so he may very well have been the best option. And, since our D was pretty good over the last 2 years, fHCSS couldn't really can the DC without damaging his reputation and severely hurting his ability to hire a good replacement.

There are back stories that casual fans are glossing over.

I work with sales. If they don't make their number there are always reasons why. And management doesn't care. You gotta find a way, or be prepared to suffer the consequences.
That's how companies go bankrupt. Companies that work understand why and adjust accordingly.

Sometimes that may mean the sales person isn't any good. Other times it means the product/promotion/industry isn't any good. Firing a good sales person because the rest of your marketing department dropped the ball pretty much defines bad management.

nzm136 said:
That's how companies go bankrupt. Companies that work understand why and adjust accordingly. Sometimes that may mean the sales person isn't any good. Other times it means the product/promotion/industry isn't any good. Firing a good sales person because the rest of your marketing department dropped the ball pretty much defines bad management.

I didn't say people were fired, did I? I said there are always reasons why certain criteria aren't hit, and that one has to b prepared to deal with the fall out from that.

Trust me, my company is about as far from bankrupt as any in America.

I didn't say people were fired, did I? I said there are always reasons why certain criteria aren't hit, and that one has to b prepared to deal with the fall out from that.

Trust me, my company is about as far from bankrupt as any in America.
I'm guessing you don't work actually for Goldman. And, if you do, I want to go on record saying you're a @#%$.

I think a lot would have depended on what happened in the bowl game.

No. A bowl game would have given more confidence, at least for 1 more year.

I'm guessing you don't work actually for Goldman. And, if you do, I want to go on record saying you're a @#%$.

Having worked at Goldman before starting my own business I can tell you that they cull a rather large percentage of their workforce EVERY year for low performance. It's the nature of business. Most adults understand that.

he couldn't/wouldn't learn on the job. If he was able to do that, I'd favor retaining him in spite of going 7-17.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom