What is Chino's full potential? | Syracusefan.com

What is Chino's full potential?

Alsacs

Living Legend
I ask this question because thru 2 games I think we have enough depth in the back court and I am not going to judge Coleman till January as I think he needs a half season to get into game shape.

With only 9 scholarship players I wonder what upside Chino Obokoh has. We need another big.
I love Lydon's game and love the fact he is competing at the 5 but he should be a 4. Thank goodness he has shown he can play 5 and I love the offense he brings that position.

Chino is a 3rd year player. He needs to either bring good defense like Keita or have a little potential offense. With the scholarship reductions we can't waste scholarships. I get the NCAA took a year of eligibility from him but if he isn't developing that might help us get another scholarship a year earlier. I have watched him in the exhibitions and first games. I thought the D was okay but his hands and offense were disappointing.

Is this guy going to a legit rotation player or just an in case of emergency player?

I ask this question because thru 2 games I think we have enough depth in the back court and I am not going to judge Coleman till January as I think he needs a half season to get into game shape.

With only 9 scholarship players I wonder what upside Chino Obokoh has. We need another big.
I love Lydon's game and love the fact he is competing at the 5 but he should be a 4. Thank goodness he has shown he can play 5 and I love the offense he brings that position.

Chino is a 3rd year player. He needs to either bring good defense like Keita or have a little potential offense. With the scholarship reductions we can't waste scholarships. I get the NCAA took a year of eligibility from him but if he isn't developing that might help us get another scholarship a year earlier. I have watched him in the exhibitions and first games. I thought the D was okay but his hands and offense were disappointing.

Is this guy going to a legit rotation player or just an in case of emergency player?
I do not think he will provide much this year, if ever. He looks like he should be a good athlete but seems to lack coordination and hand eye function seems off. Worse after two years still does not pick up his zone assignments.

No idea. Basically, he's exactly the sort of guy we can't afford to take a chance on until the NCAA sanctions end. We need guys who know are going to help us.

Sanctions or no sanctions, there are more capable guys that a excellent basketball power like Syracuse could get.

I hear about "project" this and that, but I'm sorry, he wasn't even that good in high school, what was seen when he was putting up bad single game averages there that looked like they would translate here. At least BMK played for a powerhouse HS squad.

Here we go again.
I remember reading similar posts about BMK as a sophomore and by the post-season you could literally see the lightbulb start to come on, especially on defense. Not to mention the numerous other players who were prematurely judged, juried, and executed by some in our fanbase.
Can we give the young man a bit more time before writing him off as a "wasted schollie"? :rolleyes:

Here we go again.
I remember reading similar posts about BMK as a sophomore and by the post-season you could literally see the lightbulb start to come on, especially on defense. Not to mention the numerous other players who were prematurely judged, juried, and executed by some in our fanbase.
Can we give the young man a bit more time before writing him off as a "wasted schollie"? :rolleyes:
I never called him wasted scholly. I am asking an honest question. We need big depth. The kid is a 3rd year player. His whole Fr year should have been developing in practice.

BMK played 511 minutes as Fr in 2010-11, 431 minutes as So in 2011-2012, 671 minutes as Jr in 2012-2013, 497(he missed games due to injury) minutes as a Sr in 2013-14
http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/syracuse/2011.html
http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/syracuse/2012.html
http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/syracuse/2013.html
http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/syracuse/2014.html
2110 minutes in his career

Chino had his Fr taken him from in 2013-2014 without playing a single minute and the NCAA won't give it back.
As a Sophomore Chino played 89 minutes for the season.
I don't think BMK is a good comparison at all. He played 860 minutes by this time in his career. Chino is a Jr. he should be able to play in the rotation. Especially with the fact Coleman can't be expected to log a lot of minutes as he is coming back from injury. Jr.year Chino should be able to give us Fr year BMK. BMK was a rotation player every year.
Please do not create strawman arguments.

Here we go again.

I answered the posed question with an honest appraisal of where he stands now. Tell me where it is incorrect. He may improve he may not. Get off your high horse and contribute something to the discussion rather than attacking what is said without any input to that appraisal. Not all players pan out. My biggest complaint about him is he has not shown much improvement in his time here. He is no where to be compared to BMK.

Chino met his full potential in high school when he was just bigger than everyone. Never thought he would produce here.

I believe he is excellent for the APR and he has 5 fouls each game.

Still holding out some hope. He looked pretty good in the extended minutes he got in the 1st half vs Lehigh. He's not going to see the court vs small/quick teams like St.Bon.
but yeah, I obviously have my doubts

Great kid but mid major talent, should have gone to a Bonnies or Canisius. Would have been a win win situation for him as well as SU...

I will say I am glad JB hasn't Calhoun'ed the kid out of the program when you take a kid you should never force them out. I don't believe we did it to Patterson as he was just told he wouldn't play as much I believe.
If the kid isn't ever going to be a rotation player I really hope he could graduate in 3 years. As he has been recruited over next year with the transfer being the guy next year.
We just this player to be able to give 10 mpg at a decent ACC level Jr/Sr seasons especially when we only have 10 scholarships available.

I will say I am glad JB hasn't Calhoun'ed the kid out of the program when you take a kid you should never force them out. I don't believe we did it to Patterson as he was just told he wouldn't play as much I believe.
If the kid isn't ever going to be a rotation player I really hope he could graduate in 3 years. As he has been recruited over next year with the transfer being the guy next year.
We just this player to be able to give 10 mpg at a decent ACC level Jr/Sr seasons especially when we only have 10 scholarships available.

Which brings up the question: were Johnson and Patterson "Calhouned"?

Looking at the schedule, there are not a lot of games where JB will go developmental with Chino imo. He will get some minutes tomorrow night, but the with tourney, G'Town, Wiscy and St. Johns looming you know JB will go with the players that give him the best chance for the W. If Lydon continues to impress as the back-up at the 5, I don't think Chino gets much run.

Which brings up the question: were Johnson and Patterson "Calhouned"?
I don't believe we refused to renew their scholarships.
I believe the staff told them their roles and if they wanted to stay their scholarships would be there but if they wanted to play moving on would be the better option.
Calhoun would tell kids their scholarships weren't being renewed and then moved on. I don't believe JB Calhoun'ed Patterson/Johnson because Obokoh played less than them last year and didn't transfer.

No idea. Basically, he's exactly the sort of guy we can't afford to take a chance on until the NCAA sanctions end. We need guys who know are going to help us.
Didn't expect this out of you. "we can't afford to take a chance on until the NCAA sanctions end" ? What? Do you really think we would be in a better position without Chino?

It's not like Chino kept us from going after other centers. Bryant and Diagne didn't work out. We're only using 9 schollies. Certainly this year we are better off with Chino.

I also think it is premature to write Chino off this year. It is possible his lack of PT was matchup related. I think we will need 3 centers. I think Lydon will make himself so valuable that JB will want to control the game such that both Lydon and DC2 are available at the end.

Didn't expect this out of you. "we can't afford to take a chance on until the NCAA sanctions end" ? What? Do you really think we would be in a better position without Chino?

It's not like Chino kept us from going after other centers. Bryant and Diagne didn't work out. We're only using 9 schollies. Certainly this year we are better off with Chino.

I also think it is premature to write Chino off this year. It is possible his lack of PT was matchup related. I think we will need 3 centers. I think Lydon will make himself so valuable that JB will want to control the game such that both Lydon and DC2 are available at the end.

Good point about Bryant / Diagne.

Man, could we ever use Diagne...

I had no problem recruiting Chino when we did. What I said was that with a limited number of scholarships the next four years, we can't afford projects. We'll need guys who can contribute immediately.

Last edited:
True, he was and still is a project, and agree that with limited scholarships we have to be more selective. But, like in DC2's case, a little too early to tell if this project succeeds or fails. Rak hadn't shown much prior to last year. Chino still has 2 years to improve (this one has just begun).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom