What is clearly obvious today is that FSU freshmen | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

What is clearly obvious today is that FSU freshmen

Agree. I'm not an expert in strength and conditioning, but I've been around it long enough, read enough and done enough to know when I see poor strength training - half squats, poor cleans, speed dumbbell presses won't get you where you need to be in terms of strength. there's more I see in those videos that I shake my head at, but you get the picture. Wonder when the last time Hicks picked up a book on current strength training techniques.

hide one in a box of doughnuts

I think too many of us are expecting a team with mostly frosh/soph starters who are not 4/5 start plug/play recruits to take a 3 - 9 team and turn the corner overnight with a new offense to boot.

I think we need the patience to let the coaching staff develop our young starters. We don't have any 4/5 star plug and play freshman. Temple started 20 out of 22 juniors and seniors tonight. They didn't arrive as freshman ready to go toe to toe with ND, they were developed. That's what we need to do, take our team and give it time to develop. Yes, our young team is going to make mistakes and we're undersized in a variety of positions, but we're also seeing a lot of promise.

I'm very curious to see how this team might look next fall with some weight training and experience. We're heading in the right direction. Enjoy the journey.

retro44 said:
There is more to be done...a lot more. And who is talking about taller players or longer limbs. A 6'1" 300lb lineman for FSU was body slamming Trudo all game long and it was noticed by the Spielman and CO. Hick's is so far behing the curve today and don't even try to tell me a guy who won the S&C award in the ACC once in 14 seasons when there was only 8 teams as being special. With our piss poor athletic budget for salaries why hasn't another P-5 team offer more than we can and why did Marrone take Luther to Buffalo instead of a man who really has no nutritional approach to the training. Hick's is the only common denominator we have since 2000. He is nothing special...just own up to it.
Just a question here because I don't really know the answer, what specifically about Hicks' training program is bad? I don't really know what he's got the guys doing in the weight room whereas some of you on here probably do know. Any player can get as much specific training advice as they want on the web nowadays by guys who train several nfl and world class athletes. I think a lot of this falls on the players too if they're getting pushed around so badly as upper class men. That said, a good strength coach should be able to get them motivated and keep them on track.

FSU gets top five talent.

We get middle to lower level ACC talent.

I don't think its a S&C issue.

It seems like year after year our team doesn't look as big and strong as our competition. I've always wondered if we're the only P5 team that doesn't juice.

It seems like year after year our team doesn't look as big and strong as our competition. I've always wondered if we're the only P5 team that doesn't juice.