Class of 2017 - What is going on with our recruiting ? | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 What is going on with our recruiting ?

newmexicuse

All Conference
It seemed like just a couple of years ago we were pretty much getting early commitments on any kid we wanted not headed for Kentucky, Duke, NC, or Kansas.

Now, we have no commitments yet for 2017.

The board is grovelling over whether or not we get a kid barely ranked in the Top 100 or some unnamed mystery recruit. We even struck out with a foreign dude that a respected poster here said we had an 85% chance to land. We still lack a commitment from our #1 target despite multiple visits.

What is wrong with this picture ? Is probation hurting us that badly ?

Why aren't these kids lining up to play for a FF HOF Coach in front of 30 thousand fans ?

What gives ????

Last edited:
Just a couple of years ago, we were getting commits from Ron Patterson, BJ Johnson, Chino Obokoh, Kaleb Joseph.

Now, we're targeting top 25 guys. You need to put more effort into these types of recruits. Have patience, young grasshopper.

Just a couple of years ago, we were getting commits from Ron Patterson, BJ Johnson, Chino Obokoh, Kaleb Joseph.

Now, we're targeting top 50, top 25 guys. You need to put more effort into these types of recruits. Have patience, young grasshopper.

If he wasn't top 50 Kaleb was pretty close.:(

Now, we're targeting top 25 guys. You need to put more effort into these types of recruits. Have patience, young grasshopper.
Joseph was ranked pretty high. Everybody loved BJ. Yes, Ron & Chino were more questionable.

But, forget those guys, I was talking about Ennis, Moyer, McCulloch, Carter-Williams, Melo, Cooney, Roberson, Malachi, Lydon, XMas, G as a transfer, etc - all ranked Top 75 & most of those ranked Top 25 to Top 50, some even higher.

Last edited:
It seemed like just a couple of years ago we were pretty much getting early commitments on any kid we wanted not headed for Kentucky, Duke, NC, or Kansas.

Now, we have no commitments yet for 2017.

The board is grovelling over whether or not we get a kid barely ranked in the Top 100 or some unnamed mystery recruit. We even struck out with a foreign dude that a respected poster here said we had an 85% chance to land. We still lack a commitment from our #1 target despite multiple visits.

What is wrong with this picture ? Is probation hurting us that badly ?

Why aren't these kids lining up to play for a FF HOF Coach in front of 30 thousand fans ?

What gives ????
I posted that we weren't 85% on the Turk. Never was. It was a misread by one of our coaches. The Turk didn't even call our coach to let him know that it was NC State. As for the rest, it's May. Why don't we wait a bit before we shake in our shoes. We just had a good recruiting year, Two solid players and a potential good transfer (PC).

Joseph was ranked pretty high. Everybody loved BJ. Yes, Ron & Chino were more questionable.

But, forget those guys, I was talking about Ennis, Moyer, McCulloch, Carter-Williams, Melo, Cooney, Roberson, Malachi, Lydon, XMas, G as a transfer, etc - all ranked Top 75 & most of those ranked Top 25 to Top 50, some even higher.
The players on our list are primarily top 25 players (Green, Diallo, Richards, Walker)... that type of talent no longer commits in 10th grade, unfortunately. The 1-and-done world has allowed top recruits to wait until late in their senior HS year to see who leaves college ahead of them, to open up spots for 1 year of playing. That being said, I'd love for SU to step our game up in the 1 and done world. You take a guy like Malachi Richardson even if you know 100% he's only here one year. Every now and then, those guys are good enough to lead your team to a title.

I'm not sure about the BJ part. I remember some legit poster posted about how some coach laughed to him or a friend at some AAU event or game when the coach/scout found out that he was going to SU. He was indicating I believe that BJ was nowhere near ready to contribute at that level.

I just hope as Francis and others have expressed that JB is willing to grind to the end to get some of these elite guys.

I'm not sure about the BJ part. I remember some legit poster posted about how some coach laughed to him or a friend at some AAU event or game when the coach/scout found out that he was going to SU. He was indicating I believe that BJ was nowhere near ready to contribute at that level.

I just hope as Francis and others have expressed that JB is willing to grind to the end to get some of these elite guys.

Actually, if I remember correctly, I think that was a poster talking about Malachi. :crazy:

Uncertainty about the future with Hopkins? He didn't exactly pull a 'Luke Walton' when he had the keys.

Actually, if I remember correctly, I think that was a poster talking about Malachi. :crazy:

A McDAA? It seems hugely unlikely.

jdubs30 said:
Yeah -- Mali was a AA and a top 20 player his whole senior year...BJ was none of those things
Too lazy to look it up, but, I could have sworn someone (not a fan of Mali) said something like this about a NJ high school coach response to Malachi playing for SU. Somewhere in the Malachi recruiting thread. I could be remembering incorrectly of course.

Edit: the high school coach was a friend of the poster who had serious doubts about MR. My apologies if incorrect

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom