What is the staff doing wrong? | Syracusefan.com

What is the staff doing wrong?

CuseFaninVT

2023-24 Iggy Winner Leading Rebounder
I saw this post and it got me thinking. And helped crystallize some of my own thoughts.

The staff flat out isn't doing their job. Guys don't play hard, play with no fundamentals and cannot even execute basic offensive or defensive concepts. A lot of times you can blame players and say "players have to execute" but they're not even close to being put in that position. We simply are not practicing the right stuff, recruiting in a half assed manner and not putting the time in.

I think you are onto something here. Many of us have commented on the complete lack of fundamentals this team shows - failing to box out, not reading or use screens properly, etc, etc. etc.

I know JB has said in the past that he doesn't spend practice time working on these things because he expects the players to all have these fundamentals before they arrive on campus. I think that's his biggest misread of today's players. I just don't think teaching fundamentals occurs like it did in the past. The AAU culture is all about playing the game, but doesn't seem to emphasize practicing it the way kids used to.

Thoughts?

Trying to put together a team full of transfers instead of getting some better players in recruiting.
I do think this is part of it. The lack of PG and the lack of a true leader is killing us. I actually like AW3, but I think it is obvious he is more here for an NBA audition than anything. Gillon can't play at this level. If we had a guy like G or even Cooney I think this year would go a lot better. They would have been able to control Howard and unify the team. I think it is obvious when you watch this team that the talent is there, but there is "something" missing. Chemistry yes, but mainly a leader and a go-to guy. There are too many individuals on the court and not a team. One thing we've always had is that leader - G, Cooney, Rak, Fair, Triche, Scoop, etc. You need that glue guy who can rally everyone and who players can look to. There is no "voice" on this team. We lack the "program" guy. I love Robey, but that is not him - and DC isn't on the court enough.

I am actually lookin forward to next year - Battle, TT, getting Moyer and PC back - add in hopefully Ayala .

We had to add AW3 and Gillon tthis year - I understand why we did it. It was a horrible flop but I understand the intention.

For the most part today, you had 3-4 first year players on the floor. Remember that Gillon and White are just that when it comes to our system.

Add that to the fact that ND played a darn good defensive game and we couldn't rebound or play defense well and you have what you saw.

For the most part today, you had 3-4 first year players on the floor. Remember that Gillon and White are just that when it comes to our system.

Add that to the fact that ND played a darn good defensive game and we couldn't rebound or play defense well and you have what you saw.
Maybe some of the defensive assignments I get but this excuse that White and Gillon get is tough to swallow. Can't grab a rebound because this is your first year at SU?

Trying to put together a team full of transfers instead of getting some better players in recruiting.

This is what I've been saying for well over a year. It's recruiting. People are citing BS with recruiting ratings but it's not all about those numbers. Our biggest issue is not filling the limited spots we do have and it's not getting better. There are other issues but we had 4 open roster spots months before this season and filled them with TT, Gillon, and White, gave the freebie to the walk on. We're in the same situation next season and have a possible 5 open spots. This isn't good and we could be in major major downfall of this program. If Lydon and Battle are gone after this year we have not one top 50 (maybe top 60) player on the roster.

Maybe some of the defensive assignments I get but this excuse that White and Gillon get is tough to swallow. Can't grab a rebound because this is your first year at SU?

Yeah, this is becoming a lame excuse. By now, the coaches have had plenty of time to get this team to mesh. Gillon and AW both have played major college hoops for 4 years. No, they are not veterans of this system but our offensive "system"-I'll generously call it that- is pretty simple. The zone takes some time to adapt to and they've been given that.

We are playing a short bench too. These guys play together in practice. It's late January, not November.

Like the FBI agent told Karen Hill in GoodFellas, "don't give me the babe-in-the-woods routine."

Last edited:
Its all about recruiting/player evaluation at the guard position. We brought in only good guard from Flynn until Ennis, and none since. Running JB's offense is extremely hard without guys who can handle the ball well.

We were able to get by in the past with excellent defense when the offense wasn't good, and now neither is good

I'll give you one fundamental that is glaringly bad.

Lydon is at the top of the key. He passes off to a guard or a wing. He heads towards the basket with nobody in front of him, usually trailed by a defender who is 6 inches shorter than him. NOBODY FEEDS HIM.

I've seen it happen at least 40-50 times this year. PMO!

I saw this post and it got me thinking. And helped crystallize some of my own thoughts.

I think you are onto something here. Many of us have commented on the complete lack of fundamentals this team shows - failing to box out, not reading or use screens properly, etc, etc. etc.

I know JB has said in the past that he doesn't spend practice time working on these things because he expects the players to all have these fundamentals before they arrive on campus. I think that's his biggest misread of today's players. I just don't think teaching fundamentals occurs like it did in the past. The AAU culture is all about playing the game, but doesn't seem to emphasize practicing it the way kids used to.

Thoughts?

YUP! Basic fundamentals. And I mentioned this next point even last year. SU can't make layups. We missed 5 chippies in the first 9 minutes. We missed 9 for the game. Folks, that's 18 pts. Seriously? College players that can't make layups? And this has been an ongoing problem.

YUP! Basic fundamentals. And I mentioned this next point even last year. SU can't make layups. We missed 5 chippies in the first 9 minutes. We missed 9 for the game. Folks, that's 18 pts. Seriously? College players that can't make layups? And this has been an ongoing problem.
Best layup maker I have ever seen in my lifetime - Cedric Ceballos
Wonder if he wants a coaching gig...

Edit: SU - Larry Moten

They're not even hard layups. 2 were dunks!

Louisville runs a complex defense and had two grad transfers mesh pretty well last season.

If the only way Syracuse can win is by playing a defense that's so complex it takes 2-3 (sometimes four) years to get comfortable playing then maybe they should take a look at that.

And that's not even getting into the offense like iommi posted.

Not just layups but they said SU was 4-18 in the paint. Ant that was with plenty of time to go. Make half those misses, that's 14 more points.

I hear you about the rebounding. White should being doing more of it, but I think he doesn't want to make anymore mistakes then he does in not getting out on shooters. Gillon getting rebounds requires luck.

Thoughts?
Man I totally forgot the screens. Re next contact we make on a screen will be out first. I can't believe we ever get called for moving screens!

I hear you about the rebounding. White should being doing more of it, but I think he doesn't want to make anymore mistakes then he does in not getting out on shooters. Gillon getting rebounds requires luck.
Yeah it was more a general point about being 20 games into these guys FIFTH year. This "new guy" routine is old. If a guy runs a play the wrong way and we lose on a last second shot, ok. But this is just lack of effort basketball. Passing in the lane is not unique to SU and I'm sure Gillon did it before...

As for rebounding, its like the 8th priority for SU. On defense, they can't block out because they're not in a position to do so. On offense, they all bail on a miss to go set up the zone.

As for rebounding, its like the 8th priority for SU. On defense, they can't block out because they're not in a position to do so. On offense, they all bail on a miss to go set up the zone.
What are the top 7 priorities?

the game has passed JB by. It is an offensive game, no longer a game where you expect the other team to miss 65% of it 3 point attempts . The fall back is 2 final fours (one an absolute gift) and the continually need to recruit "length" for the zone. JB is a relic and there is no need to think things will change next year, The future is dim. We are a bottom rung ACC team at this point. No longer a top 20 program. Please provide specifics if your opinion differs.

The continuous horrendous screening, angles, etc., is really tiring to see. That has NOTHING to do with new parts/players.

For people who have listened to Dean Francis latest Podcast, you will find the answer to these questions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom