what marrone giveth, ryan taketh away | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

what marrone giveth, ryan taketh away

So, you take different action against Alabama than against UConn?

It sounds to me Millhouse like you're getting dangerously close to making a traditional personnel assessment.

And we can't have that can we?
We can't have a smart response from you either.

You outsource the math and then use judgment. The meatheads don't use math and have their own stupid rules of thumb that are more wrong than if they slavishly followed a smarter chart.

Last edited:
We can't have a smart response from you either.

You outsource the math and then use judgment. The meatheads don't use math and have their own stupid rules of thumb that are more wrong than if they slavishly followed a smarter chart.

Would love to schmooze but gotta go. Talk soon.

I don't mean to get all mathy on you but there are lots of coaches working for people not named Rooney or mara.
Including marrone before and marrone after.

He thought he was more sought after than he was. Probably because the only people around him are sycophants or people with really bad incentives like an agent

It really amazes me that people still to this day defend Marrone's decision. He got crap advice and made a crap decision. Maybe he thought it was going to be a good decision at the time, but how anyone can look at how it played out and still think it was a good decision boggles my mind.

It's pretty difficult to try to compare schedules looking backward the way you presume to do so.

And, while I like Dino a lot, it was tough to watch opposing offenses move the ball and score at record paces against our defense. And we know what Scott Shafer did as a follow up to Marrone.

I guess where you and I differ is that I don't consider eight wins and a bowl game "mediocre" - especially after a four-year disaster - unless I'm Alabama or Ohio State - and the Orange will never be Alabama or Ohio State.

I don't recall the specifics about Marrone's play calling in 2010 - not enough running calls. What I recall was a team with depth issues and mounting injuries having difficulty finishing the season.

So, while under your criteria Coach Pasqualoni was undoubtedly great - with a P5 Championship his final season to boot - for the limited time he was on the Hill, Doug Marrone was great.

It's really not that hard to compare. You should get into advanced stats. You can glean SOS with info from an entire season pretty easily.

We played one ranked team all year and two FCS teams in the non-conference.

This year we played 6 ranked teams and ND instead of an FCS.

Shafer's first season was a much better season than any of Marrones first 3.

If you don't think Dino's team would have tore through that weak schedule, I don't know what to tell you.

Agreed on for "a limited time" meaning the second half of 2012 - Marrone was great.

I guess that's where you and I differ.

I would take advice from Bill Parcells on HC issues every day of the week.

There might not have been a smarter football man in the history of the game. And if a new owner like Kraft - who had no football ownership experience - could try to micromanage a guy like Parcells, one could only imagine what a micromanaging new owner would try to do to a relatively new HC such as Doug Marrone.

I don't know enough about Pete Carroll to comment on his "advice." I know that he is best friends with Greg Robinson. I know that Dr. Gross was forced to make a hire very late in the game. I know that Robinson/Gross/Cantor had a very tough act to follow and knew very little about what they had inherited - clearly Robinson had no idea. I just can't compare the kind of "advice" you're referencing to the kind of first-hand advice that I believe Parcells imparted to Marrone.

And the advice that was given - "don't work for an owner who did not hire you" - is very good advice and maybe worth the Assistant HC position in Jacksonville.

Your recitation of how Pegula has micromanaged both the Bills and Sabres supports Marrone's decision. You want to work for an owner who believes in stability and who gives his coaches time to develop their program.

You want to work for the Rooneys or the Maras. You don't want to work for an unknown quantity that had nothing to do with your hiring in the first place.

You leave "because you're not sure about management" when there are more than 31 other jobs to be had.

He gambled that no one would care, took more $ because of some strange clause, and thought the Jets were in love with his "genius" - and misunderstood the whole thing.

It wasn't some noble folksy "following the ole coaches advice" move. He made a mistake, because things weren't perfect.

Meanwhile, there are a bunch of other coaches doing just fine with owners they probably disagree with.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom